Is now the best time to trade in my 2018 RAM 1500 for a 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right before the shutdown, I bought a used 2018 RAM 1500 Laramie that I love for what I thought was an incredible price. It now has 18,000 miles. I own it outright and just extended the warranty an additional 5 years / 85,000 miles. My plan was to keep the truck at least 5 years and use it up.

I'm helping a friend buy a new 1500 and looking at the prices and incentives on the new ones, along with the very strong used truck pricing that I see, made me think about trading in for a new truck. I would go for an almost identical 1500 in the new model year, and it might not really cost me that much money.

You guys that are shopping now, does that sound like it's worth looking into? Or am I just dreaming?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you're happy with the '18, and it's paid off, I'd probably keep it for a while. If there's anything you don't like about your current truck, or if there's something about the new models that you can't live without, then now is as good a time as any to trade up. It all depends on your own situation, and without more information (which I am not asking for) I don't feel qualified to advise you one way or the other. It's fun and exciting to buy a new vehicle. But the newness of it quickly wears off. Good luck whichever way you go with this.

ncgatorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
3.0L ECO-Diesel
Used cars are in short supply right now so the trade-in values are attractive. I wanted to get back into a Ram and traded in Jeep GC SRT a month ago. Got 6K more than I would have got before COVID shutdown. Dealer sold Jeep in 2 weeks. So that is what motivated me, knowing I could get more trade to get the truck I really wanted.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right before the shutdown, I bought a used 2018 RAM 1500 Laramie that I love for what I thought was an incredible price. It now has 18,000 miles. I own it outright and just extended the warranty an additional 5 years / 85,000 miles. My plan was to keep the truck at least 5 years and use it up.

I'm helping a friend buy a new 1500 and looking at the prices and incentives on the new ones, along with the very strong used truck pricing that I see, made me think about trading in for a new truck. I would go for an almost identical 1500 in the new model year, and it might not really cost me that much money.

You guys that are shopping now, does that sound like it's worth looking into? Or am I just dreaming?

So what kind of incentives are you looking at? What kind of discount on the new truck? What are they giving your trade? Add all those up, and if your happy, that should give you your answer.

OP
OP
Marathon84

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I should probably go in and see. Maybe open up the options to 2020 vs 2021, probably get a better deal on a 2020.

I definitely want the longer bed and it looks like you still can't get the Ram Box or the new tailgate setup with the longer bed yet.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too am shopping for a new vehicle for my wife. One thought that kind of scares me is buying a vehicle that was built during the pandemic. Wonder if a few years from now all the 2020 / 2021 vehicles are going to have a lot of issues. I can see where the plants would be moving people into positions where they may not have proper training due to someone going on quarantine. I thought about going with a lightly used 18/19 model but they are just as dang high as the new ones.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I just made the switch last month from an 18 Laramie CC to a leftover 19 Laramie QC 5.7L eTorque with 12"radio to get the bigger bed (blind spot is nice too) and not have an overly long truck .... (I got a great trade for my paid off 18 and very good price on the 19)....

That said, I don't know if it was worth it or not (got out of a truck with 52k mi for a brand new one & $9700 OTD).
There's a few things I don't like on the 5th gen vs some I do... I especially dislike the little blind spot mirrors in the corners on this 1500 vs flat glass on my 4th gen. Mixed feelings on the center console storage & 12" radio really isn't needed (Android Auto & Apple Carplay won't go full screen vs 1/2), 18 Laramie seats looked better IMO too. . .& I don't believe the LEDs in the 19 headlights are replaceable on their own?

9b5d132a9de326219f2ee1a568b13816.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Listen, the dealer has to make a profit. You buy you will pay. But when is the best time to trade -- the best time is when you want a new vehicle. Who wants to drive around in a faded out vehicle that has to have a repair every month. Enjoy life and what you can pay for. You can't take the money with you.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
best time is always toward the end of the month when they are trying to reach quotas and also near the end of the model year when the new ones are starting to ship. they need to reduce inventory in order to get new ones because they have limits on floorplan money. also because of who wins the election after all the votes are checked, trucks and any large vehicle may be cheaper due to change in politics and potential rise in fuel and energy prices. thanking my lucky stars I dont own a motorhome.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I too am shopping for a new vehicle for my wife. One thought that kind of scares me is buying a vehicle that was built during the pandemic. Wonder if a few years from now all the 2020 / 2021 vehicles are going to have a lot of issues. I can see where the plants would be moving people into positions where they may not have proper training due to someone going on quarantine. I thought about going with a lightly used 18/19 model but they are just as dang high as the new ones.
^^ this. I work for a manufacturer and I can tell you that in these times people have been cross-trained to do what's necessary to keep them employed. I can't speak for the UAW plants, but I have to think that it's happening there too. To take the other side of your point, maybe you get lucky and the cross-trained people are better at the job?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just made the switch last month from an 18 Laramie CC to a leftover 19 Laramie QC 5.7L eTorque with 12"radio to get the bigger bed (blind spot is nice too) and not have an overly long truck .... (I got a great trade for my paid off 18 and very good price on the 19)....

That said, I don't know if it was worth it or not (got out of a truck with 52k mi for a brand new one & $9700 OTD).
There's a few things I don't like on the 5th gen vs some I do... I especially dislike the little blind spot mirrors in the corners on this 1500 vs flat glass on my 4th gen. Mixed feelings on the center console storage & 12" radio really isn't needed (Android Auto & Apple Carplay won't go full screen vs 1/2), 18 Laramie seats looked better IMO too. . .& I don't believe the LEDs in the 19 headlights are replaceable on their own?

M² Mods.
Congrats on your new truck. Hopefully you won't regret it. Just to confirm, you're correct that you have to replace the entire headlight housing if an LED goes bad. No replacing just the LED. It sucks, but that's how it is.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont see that happening at uaw plants as the union has tight control over literally everything that takes place on the line. they might cross train someone for another spot on the line but I would bet they just operate at reduced production. hence the shortage of inventory and long build times for dealers. IMHO

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
^^ this. I work for a manufacturer and I can tell you that in these times people have been cross-trained to do what's necessary to keep them employed. I can't speak for the UAW plants, but I have to think that it's happening there too. To take the other side of your point, maybe you get lucky and the cross-trained people are better at the job?

Considering that Ram Truck assembly is essentially adding preassembled modules to the truck, I'd be more concerned with the day the modules were produced than the day the truck was assembled.

Here's a video of the Sterling heights plant in operation and most of the operations are apparently robot assisted.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
I'm getting carfax reports each month on my 2019 (carryover from my 2012) and they show the TRADE value going up every month to point of giving me what I paid for it. Problem is last time I was at the dealer for something I walked the back lot and they didn't have squat for inventory and not much of a reason for incentives. So it's a see-saw as to which end of the deal you make out better on. But if you can find something you like !!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque

9b5d132a9de326219f2ee1a568b13816.jpg

M² Mods.

My 18 laramie lease is up in March and my truck has 27k currently. I looked a few years back when the 19s rolled out and thought the inside was okay and the exterior was nice bed height wise but I hate the tail lights. The front end has grown on me especially since I've seen what GM, ford and toyota etc have come out with. A couple of things that worry me is the composite upper front Aarms and the BCM modules that have been plagued with problems. Lots of trucks were at the dealer waiting on backordered parts for months before Covid but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. I do like the user interface on the steering wheel and the large screen but sucks that apple car play doesn't use the whole thing! The truck being lighter is good, reclining rear seats, 2" more cab space and 14" front brakes!. I see alot of things on these trucks thats taking away the servicability tho... for one is the headlights... the LED modules you are FU%KED if one goes out... I'm pretty sure they are not replaceable and I dont want to know what thats going to cost to replace. Same goes for the 4th gens with the LED tails and front sport headlight turn signals... not much you can do but replace or open them up and see what you can do. My 18 I did FXR retrotfits that I pulled of my 14 express and they are better than the new LED stock headlights output and cutoff wise and I can replace a bulb or ballast if it goes out. I do have the LED tails so not excited if one of those goes out. I also worry about the Etorque and how thats going to play out over time. Does it make a noticable difference in MPG? What does a new 48v battery pack look like to replace? You know they charge to have the batteries recycled/discarded I believe.

bigbriman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That thing's got a Hemi?
I will add that I got my 2020 1500 Rebel last month for $53k and the dealership gave me $45k for my 2017 Yukon Denali.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Calculate the sales tax on the new truck and the higher DMV fees and the higher car insurance to be paid and the new truck is an emotional decision.
I hold on to my cars and trucks for a minimum of 10 years so my annual cost of ownership is very low. I have better uses for my money, including travel, then to put it all into vehicle. The idea of spending $5,000 a year for a car or truck seems foolish unless you are very rich.