Is now the best time to trade in my 2018 RAM 1500 for a 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had been wondering somewhat about updating also; mine isn't payed off. But I like the 4th gen over the 5th gen. If some things had been different and I had pulled the trigger, I would have stayed with a Classic in Tradesman but added a better back-up camera plus the heated seats/steering wheel. If my garage was roomier, I would up to a 2500.
I think used vehicles will still be in demand for a while and trucks can hold their value very well. Do you really want a newer model? Won't you lose the extended warranty?
BTW, what extended warranty did you get?

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too am shopping for a new vehicle for my wife. One thought that kind of scares me is buying a vehicle that was built during the pandemic. Wonder if a few years from now all the 2020 / 2021 vehicles are going to have a lot of issues. I can see where the plants would be moving people into positions where they may not have proper training due to someone going on quarantine. I thought about going with a lightly used 18/19 model but they are just as dang high as the new ones.
I wouldn't worry too much about moving people to different jobs on the assembly line.After a couple of shifts a monkey could do it.I had 3 brothers that work on an auto ass. line and they would be the first one to tell you that.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't worry too much about moving people to different jobs on the assembly line.After a couple of shifts a monkey could do it.I had 3 brothers that work on an auto ass. line and they would be the first one to tell you that.

I guess i'll find out because we bought a 2021 GMC Acadia last week. Fingers crossed.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Calculate the sales tax on the new truck and the higher DMV fees and the higher car insurance to be paid and the new truck is an emotional decision.
I hold on to my cars and trucks for a minimum of 10 years so my annual cost of ownership is very low. I have better uses for my money, including travel, then to put it all into vehicle. The idea of spending $5,000 a year for a car or truck seems foolish unless you are very rich.
Haha...so it's not foolish if we're rich, but is foolish if we're not. Okay, thanks for straightening that out for us. That rule always confuses me. :anitoof:

Just because I'm curious...what would you consider rich?

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess i'll find out because we bought a 2021 GMC Acadia last week. Fingers crossed.
My brothers worked at a GM plant.My SIL and his buddies work on a line at Honda right now and they'd say the same thing.

coolidge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today was the best time for me, there's a shiny new 2021 Ram Rebel CC parked in my drive tonight. Traded in my 4 year old (purchased Nov, 2016) 2017 F350 6.7L long bed and got a very good price on the trade.

Diamond Black Crystal
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT $1,795
33-Gallon Fuel Tank $445
Rebel Level 2 Equipment Group $3,000
Rebel 12 $2,995
Technology Group $1,095
Comfort and Convenience Group $695
18-inch x 8-inch Painted Mid-Gloss Black Wheels
Multi-Function Tailgate $995
Spray-in Bedliner $595
Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof $1,495
Trailer Brake-Controller $295
Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection $595

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Just because I'm curious...what would you consider rich?

I wouldn't take stock into what he says or claims, this is the same guy that says if you put the highest load rated tires on your truck you actually increase the axle weight rating of your truck...

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW - My business partner bought an 18 Limited CC 4X4 in May..paid 32.5K. Same truck, same mileage right now is over $40K in my neighborhood. Crazy. Neighbor runs a contracting biz...says he can't find any 2500/3500's for anything less than $10K more than he paid for same last year.

So, yes, now is the time to trade or sell outright. BUT...that all hangs on whether you can get a decent deal on the new one.

Keep us posted!