Is OEM Brake controller $400 better?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gorgerax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone! I hear I could get the factory/OEM brake controller installed for my 2010 1500 at the dealer for $440-$500...@ $350 if I DIY. But I can also install an inexpensive CURT controller and hook it up to the factory wiring harness for around $50! I'm currently pulling a little 22 footer (@ 4500# wet) with CURT TruTrack WDH rated for 10,000# so am not too concerned now, (It actually seems to stop just fine with the WDH but no trailer brakes but I AM going to install some sort of brake controller, regardless!) however, in a year, I likely will be upgrading to a larger (i.e, heavier) trailer in the 7000# wet range...such as a 2019 Grand Designs Imagine 2250RK

So, is the factory controller really worth it?

Many TIA for any and all advice!

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. The factory integrated controller is light years beyond the brake controllers I've used in the past. The trailer brakes operate virtually in tandem with the truck brakes, with no delay or hesitation, and are very smooth. Honestly, as far as braking is concerned, I don't even notice the trailer is back there.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would say it depends on how much you tow. If you're towing every weekend or every other then yes it's probably worth the money. If you're towing once a month or less I would say go the Curt route and drive like you have sense and you'll be fine

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$500? I got mine off Amazon for $215, installed it myself, and paid the dealer $60 to flash it.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed mine on my old Ram, my current one came with it already, easy install and got the controller for under $300. Went to the dealer for an oil change and they had some outstanding warranty work they did it and flash the sales code in for the brake controller. I have towed with trucks that have an aftermarket brake controller and honestly I think having it show in the dash is much better and provides a cleaner look that is easier to control and adjust. As far as operation, the factory one is smooth but they both work.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The older rams have the factory controller mounted low and on the left. Very unhandy when on a steep long downhill grade and down shifting with your right hand then having to use your left hand to apply brakes. In my older rams I used after market and mounted it in the center console close to the dash. Works great and no back and forth with brake and gear shift. Ram finally figured that out and mounted the controller on the right side where it is much more convenient.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If your going aftermarket, it' hard to beat the prodigy P3. In my opinion the prodigy is a better, stronger breaking unit. I used to like the boost 2 setting which gave me a little lead trailer braking.

The factory itbc is also very good and just as smooth as the prodigy. If your $50 curt is a pos timer based unit, I wouldn't use it on any trailer. I had one and it was very jerky braking....just my .02

ramhornet15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to try an aftermarket curt, I took one off my truck and it’s just sitting around. I have a 2015 1500. $30 shipped. Has connector to attach to the ram braking system. It is the curt venturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ebay'd mine, self installed, and paid the dealer like $60 to flash it. Total cost was somewhere around $250. I would rather have the factory brake controller which enables TSC in a 1500 for that extra margin of safety if things get unsettled. In a 2500+ truck I wouldn't be as concerned about having the electronic TSC unless I was really pushing the tow limits of the truck.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If your going aftermarket, it' hard to beat the prodigy P3. In my opinion the prodigy is a better, stronger breaking unit. I used to like the boost 2 setting which gave me a little lead trailer braking.

The factory itbc is also very good and just as smooth as the prodigy. If your $50 curt is a pos timer based unit, I wouldn't use it on any trailer. I had one and it was very jerky braking....just my .02

That's been my experience with the Prodigy P3 as well. I actually prefer it over the ITBC. I feel like it controls hard braking better.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill add that I researched this same thing. Thought about going with the factory option but just did not want to pay that much for it. I ended up going with the Prodigy P2. I have towed probably in the 7500-8000lb range. Its simpler than the P3, and cheaper. You cant save different trailer profiles but that doesnt matter to me anyway. It still has the boost levels that the P3 has as well which I really like. Completely plug and play with the right pigtail. Its a good controller and alot of bang for your buck.

If i remember correctly though, not just any old brake controller will work in these 4th gen Rams. Something about the voltage input from the truck is lower I think. Be wise to do some more research if you go the aftermarket route to make sure the one you get works, but I can tell you for certain the P2 works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale wOOTEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put an aftermarket one on my 2019 that came off my 2015. The dealership flashed it for $100. Brake works but the light on dash wont go off. Anyone have this problem? Dealership said live with it or buy one from them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I put an aftermarket one on my 2019 that came off my 2015. The dealership flashed it for $100. Brake works but the light on dash wont go off. Anyone have this problem? Dealership said live with it or buy one from them.

With an aftermarket brake controller, you didn't need to dealer to flash anything.
The factory brake controller is much more integrated with the vehicle electronics, has the advantage of using vehicle speed and braking force and having the controller infromation on the dash is easy to see while driving.

Dale wOOTEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did not have power to brake until it was flashed because it did not come on the truck. Brake works but light stays on. Another way to charge if controller did not come with the truck I guess.​

Last edited: