Is PW right for me?

Gxgn

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for advice from those of you who got the PW for over landing and offroading or, who are offroading but you another rig for that purpose.

My main goal for this first truck for me would be to have a capable, comfortable rig that can do Offroading and get get me to trails that are 10-15 hours away comfortably.
My past rigs have been well built Montero gen 2 and a Land Cruiser 200. The 200 had arb bumpers, sliders, 33s, winch and took me anywhere I wanted. Some of the more difficult trails I’ve done include Mengel Pass and Black Bear pass. I know the PW would struggle with my skills and it’s size on BB pass but how about the rest of the trails like Imogene, Mineral Creek, Engineer Pass etc? How hard is to pass a group of rigs on the trail? How difficult is to fit some of the more narrow trails (assuming I get the 360 camera option)?
I am realistically only drive once or twice a year to these trails and although is over 1000 miles away I don’t think I’ll do more than 5k miles a year so the cost of gas doesn’t scare me that much.
If I get a PW I’ll probably not modify it much, 35s, sliders and maybe some armor. Down the road maybe an RSI .

Would I be better off building a smaller truck like a Ford Ranger (Tacoma is not right for me, too underpowered for my taste).

please share your thoughts… thanks

Attachments

• 2D436091-C7C9-46ED-B860-6AB6C705DD2E.jpeg
    2D436091-C7C9-46ED-B860-6AB6C705DD2E.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 14
  • FA002389-5D99-42EA-8009-1FF361CC4B0E.jpeg
    FA002389-5D99-42EA-8009-1FF361CC4B0E.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If you have to ask...
4m95fb.jpg

Just kidding...
I don't overland but I'm pretty happy with my PowerWagon over all.
It tows great and claws though crappy roads like it's on rails.
Gas mileage is a b*tch, but frankly I've owned 1/2 tons that weren't any better.
It's heavy too, so if you're heading into areas where excess weight could be a problem that's a consideration but it rides pretty nice for a 2500 IMO...
Not much you have to do to it for it's offroad performance, 35's bolt right up, disconnecting sway bar, lockers, winch are all there...
But even used they aren't a very cheap option...
Check out member jerry clements PW rig...

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gxgn

Reaction score
Hi Frank, the gas is less of an issue since my LC was only getting about 12~14 mpg due to the extra weight. Do you need to run premium gas in the PW?
I checked the thread you mentioned, really nice rig. I didn’t know we have great outfitters in Iowa.

@retired for me the switchbacks after the stairs in Black Bear pass was difficult in LC. I would think it would be a nightmare in a wagon that’s over 40” longer.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Frank, the gas is less of an issue since my LC was only getting about 12~14 mpg due to the extra weight. Do you need to run premium gas in the PW?
I checked the thread you mentioned, really nice rig. I didn’t know we have great outfitters in Iowa.

@retired for me the switchbacks after the stairs in Black Bear pass was difficult in LC. I would think it would be a nightmare in a wagon that’s over 40” longer.
I run 87 and that is what the owners manual calls for. they run those tour trucks down it and I swear looks like 16 yoa kids driving them. I can't remember but I think we pass one on this video. watch

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 PW
I run 87 and that is what the owners manual calls for. they run those tour trucks down it and I swear looks like 16 yoa kids driving them. I can't remember but I think we pass one on this video. watch

2/3rds of Colorado gasoline sales are 85 octane. No vehicle owners manual will call for it, ever. That's what my PW gets. 87 octane ethanol free goes into my ranch equipment small engines up to 24 horsepower, but it's at the highest pump price per gallon where available. 85 octane gasoline ($4.999) is the only pump available besides diesel ($6.0999) within our nearest rural town.

Black Bear Pass is a one-way tourist road. The Power Wagon won't fit on the less popular Battlement Mesa Trail, whereas, a Jeep Rubicon on 35's will. It's too tall to clear obstacles (trees). Too wide too without bush whacking everything in sight. Pass an approaching vehicle on a non-tourist 1,000 foot cliff section of the JQS Trail with a Power Wagon and then stop for a minute at the trail side memorial where some people didn't survive.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PW is big and I mean big, but it could handle Imogene and Engineer's just fine. The switchbacks will be a challenge but nothing that it cannot handle with some patience. I haven't done BB so cannot comment on that one. It also suffers from its heavy weight. I have buried mine with both lockers engaged and pulled it out with my Wrangler. If you are looking for a rig that is as capable as a Wrangler offroad, it isn't. However, if you want to overland and get in the bush on fire roads and moderate trails, it does a great job. The lockers and disco's give you a piece of mind that if it gets hairy, you have options. Oh, and the hood is massive and very hard to see over, so figure in a front camera.

For a highway ride, it is great with gobs of power and a nice ride. Loaded down you can set the cruise at 85mph and it will just sail along easily and quietly. I love the truck on a long highway trip except when stopping at the gas station, lol.

I love my PW but if it was my only rig and I was running mountain trails like you described, it wouldn't be in a PW. It is just too big for up there and too wide. I would build a Gladiator instead.

OP
OP
G

Gxgn

Reaction score
I'm trying to like the Gladiator but I'm failing - I know it's just a personal taste but I find it ugly. Maybe I'll wait for 2023 Ranger Raptor or whatever new Taco comes up with more power. I reached out to a RAM dealer recommended on this forum and they advised it would be a 6-8 month wait to get a PW anyway.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to like the Gladiator but I'm failing - I know it's just a personal taste but I find it ugly. Maybe I'll wait for 2023 Ranger Raptor or whatever new Taco comes up with more power.

Gladiator only looks good with 37in tires and a square style canopy.