Is Schwab lying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agkirtley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So last time I went to get new tires I asked about a lift kit, and I was told that in order to lift my truck I have to step up to an 18 inch wheel which I really have no desire to do. Are they lying to get sales or is this true?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
ask yourself.....

what does wheel diameter have to do with a lift kit

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Doesn't sound right to me. Are they trying to sell you a set of larger wheels for larger tires? I suspect that larger, wider, tires are in your future and, if so, a wider wheel may be in order to handle specific size tires that are traditionally used with lifted trucks. But just to lift it you could do with OEM 17" rims but the tires might be a bit too narrow for optimum stability.

I hate what Schwab has become. Les has got to be turning over in his grave.

OP
OP
A

Agkirtley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I asked the question of why I need a bigger wheels, and if I remember correctly he told me the A arms are bigger and will hit on 17" wheels. I have 33s on it right now and next will go to a 35 and wider which I understand I'll probably have to get a different set of wheels to accommodate the width. Thanks all for your help .

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
well that makes sense if you're replacing the control arms

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The guy is full of ****. Unless the lift kit manufacturer specifically states in their kit that you need to run a minimum wheel diameter then you will be perfectly fine with 17" wheels. Some long travel kits require 18s, but I've never heard of a reputable lift kit requiring them but I've been surprised before.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It may not necessarily be larger wheels but you may need more negative offset to clear the arms if they are wider than the stock setup.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^this

I think Zone and BDS allows 17” but they must have 4.5” backspacing and 18” and up is 5” backspacing

If he is selling you a rough country lift then it requires 20” wheels minimum according to their instructions

Requires 20" or larger wheels! Does NOT fit 18" or smaller wheels.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/92132400B.pdf

bigkyle72

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 and 2017
Engine
5.9 and 6.7
Doesn't sound right to me. Are they trying to sell you a set of larger wheels for larger tires? I suspect that larger, wider, tires are in your future and, if so, a wider wheel may be in order to handle specific size tires that are traditionally used with lifted trucks. But just to lift it you could do with OEM 17" rims but the tires might be a bit too narrow for optimum stability.

I hate what Schwab has become. Les has got to be turning over in his grave.

this

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When in doubt, call the Lift Manufacture directly.