Is The 4.7 That Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Hello all, I am new to the forums, and Rams. My grandfather just gave me his 2005 1500 2WD 4.7, it only has 25,000mi on it though. As I was stalking the forums here, I noticed that the 4.7 has a very bad reputation.

My question is about what can go wrong with the 4.7 and what can I do to remedy/fix any common problems? Thanks!

PS. A trade in isn't a possibility, it has major sentimental value to me, as it is also disrespectful in my opinion to trade in a gift.

~Mason.

I have a 02 4.7 and honestly I have more issues with everything that isn't engine related then my engine. I have 208k miles and it runs strong. My 4.7 engine is perfect but my issues were fuel pump, ac fan, heater core leak, upper and lower ball joints, and water pump. So far nothing on my 4.7

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had an 06 cc 4x4 dakota with the 4.7. Seemed like a good little v8 to me. Plenty of power for the truck in daily driving. Towed a 3500 pound boat pretty well. The only thing I noticed is that my temps would climb pretty easily if towing up a steep grade.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My buddy had a 03 qc with the 4.7 lifted in 34s. We ran that truck hard all the time. The only problem we had was the drive shaft fell out cuz we where out mudding and jumped a hill in it. Be sold it about 5 years ago with about 230k miles on it and it was still running like a champ when he sold it

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
pretty much dont overheat it, even slightly and you will be fine, they are known for head gaskets failing, been there dealt with that and i didnt even overheat mine, id say 80% of all the local guys i know that had a 3rd gen 4.7 had a head gasket go...

other than that i didnt mind mine, its no hemi but it gets the job done

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
4.7 is a great motor providing it was maintained properly from day 1.
The sludge issue and overheat issue has been talked to death. It is what it is.
The original 4.7 in my truck crapped out at 106k miles.
I replaced it with a new upgraded motor which addresses and corrects the original design flaws. Been 20k trouble free miles since, and the oil comes out clean as a whistle at changes. Not a tick, a clunk, nothing. Runs smooth as glass.
Mobile 1 and factory Mopar filter religiously.
The only real downside is the lack of performance parts.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get your new motor?

My 4.7 has been running smoothly. Has 135k on it with 4.5" lift on 35s, yes no hemi, but she still moves and is fine with me!

Ramx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mason keep that gem as the 4.7 is no longer made i have the 2005 4.7 . I run Royal Purple in all my fluids that can take it . just look on here and do the performance mods the others have perfected and you will be loving that little motor. and yes the tune and exhaust is a must just be sure you go with hi-flow cats with that exhaust . i now have 133000 on mine and it is still just as strong as it was new. also when you can install the stant 180 it does make the difference believe me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 Dakota QC with the 4.7. At only 79,000 mi, it's too early to judge longevity, but it burns 0 oil between 6,000 mi changes, runs great, never any problems. No reason the 4.7 shouldn't serve you well as long as you don't expect it to tow a heavy trailer thru the mountains. It might do it, but you'd be moving pretty slow.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Where did you get your new motor?

My 4.7 has been running smoothly. Has 135k on it with 4.5" lift on 35s, yes no hemi, but she still moves and is fine with me!
I'm gonna guess powertrain products. From what I've read it seems they fix the weak points with these motors

I have the 3.7 which is basically a 4.7 with 2 cylinders chopped off (I know the differences between the two aren't that simple, but they're similar alright). I've put 50k miles on it since I bought it, I haven't been stranded yet. Not even a check engine light. (Which I figured out recently doesn't work anyways. Irony).

Its VERY noisy and I'm looking at a coolant leak from a hose and possibly an oil leak or oil being burned. But I must say I'm pretty sure this truck was abused pretty heavily over the 106k miles before I got it. A former fleet vehicle with zipties and duck tape fixes?? The bumpers (which weren't chrome as listed on the build sheet), mismatched body lines, and a VERY tweaked frame leads me to believe it was in some sort of accident as well. With all the issues and neglect I see on the truck around it, I'm sure they didn't treat the engine much better.

But with that said it's still going and hasn't ever left me stranded. I'm sure if you keep it maintained it'll last you for a good while. I know of a couple of people around the internets that are/were over 300k miles on their 3.7s and 4.7s. It won't be a powerhouse and will also be a gas hog, but enjoy it for what it is. Normally I'd say "get a hemi" but a whole truck for free? I wouldn't care if they replaced the engine with an oversized golf cart battery, you wouldn't hear me complain lol

As someone else said earlier, at least its not the V6 lol

EDIT: I would like to point out that exactly 20 hours after posting this my truck now won't start in my driveway due to DTC 127E (fuel pump issue). I should've knocked on some wood

Last edited:

FaceDeAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Count me in the 4.7 fan camp as well. No issues with ours. Reliable. 130,000+ miles.
Oil changes at 3000 miles. Fram ultra synthetic filter, Castrol Edge 5w30.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2003 4.7 and put some Gibson shorty headers on it SS.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
After buying mine, I had to do a whole bunch of things the last owner did not keep up with, & then a bunch that was not necessary but wanted.

& it has been a great truck since - took the longest time for me to figure out the battery problem, now i just need new speakers again!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio