Is the factory remote starter programmable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikerino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I am thinking of wiring my truck battery to my house heater through an inverter in case I lose power. Can the factory remote start be set to restart the truck based on time interval or battery state? For example can the starter be set to start the truck every three hours, or if the battery gets too low? just thinking about an extended power outage and not leaving the truck running.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There no programming of the factory remote start. If the battery voltage gets too low the OEM remote start may not try to crank the truck.
Your better off to buy a generator to run your furnace and refrigerator. If your concerned about noise, spend the money for an inverter type or build a sound attenuation box

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Bad idea.

Generator controls do exist that could be integrated into a truck to trigger remote start. But it’ll cost more than a small generator. And burn more fuel.

But the main reason is cranking batteries are not going to withstand very many deep cycle discharges. The plates are too thin. You’ll be drastically reducing the life of the truck battery.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They even advertise that truck for use as a home generator.
But are they really meant to be used for hours on end? I would imagine maybe for something quick in an emergency situations not for "we're out of power for 3 days so let me fire up the trusty ecoboost" type of thing

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth I use the GenerLink system for when I lose power at the house. It automatically cuts power from the pole when I plug into it and will stay on generator power until I unplug the cord from it. No need to trip breakers in the house at all. It's not the cheapest way but it is super easy. The unit cost me $1k install and that included a 40' proprietary generlink cable. The generator is separate (buy whatever generator you want) from that cost. The unit is approved by the utility company as long as an "approved" electrician hooks the unit to the house. My house isn't big so the 12k watt generator i have is more than enough to literally run everything in my house. I had it installed 2 years ago and only needed it once but it worked flawlessly. I don't know, just to give another option besides running your truck for hours. I attached a couple pics so you get the idea. The cord plugs in underneath the generlink where that lil black cap is
20221206_142124.jpg20221206_142132.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
But are they really meant to be used for hours on end? I would imagine maybe for something quick in an emergency situations not for "we're out of power for 3 days so let me fire up the trusty ecoboost" type of thing
Who knows. I honestly don't care enough to research it, but be my guest. No one said anything about a solution for hours on end. And I don't think the OP is planning to use it that way since they said they wouldn't want to leave the truck running for hours during an extended power outage. Honestly I was making light of the Ford. :cheers:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who knows. I honestly don't care enough to research it, but be my guest. No one said anything about a solution for hours on end. And I don't think the OP is planning to use it that way since they said they wouldn't want to leave the truck running for hours during an extended power outage. Honestly I was making light of the Ford. :cheers:
I don't care enough to research it either

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Remote start only runs 10 minutes and shuts off and as far as I know it will only cycle twice then you have to physically start the truck . Don't want to be rude but that's not a very smart idea , too hard on truck . Get a small inverter generator, I have a 2000 watt Champion , runs the fridge , tv and sat reciever . Ran it for 6 days , 14 -16 hours a day used 5 gallons of gas .

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you don't want a generator get a couple deep cycle golf cart batteries, 6 volts each , solar charger and make your own power supply. Remember when going from 12 v to 120v you draw is multiplied x 10 . 3 amp at 120 v is 30 amp draw at 12 v will kill batteries fairly quick . Generator is the answer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, using your RAM to power house. I went this route instead. I guess OP could get FORD emblems and put on his RAM. :anitoof::33::owned:

New Genny.jpg

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
They make generators to do that.
Yrs ago ,I had a aftermarket remote start that could start the truck if the temp dropped too low, forget what, -20? The factory one now , it just starts when you push the button as far as I know.
Are you heating with electricity? Sounds expensive.

PS Turkeybird56, that is the same set up as the daughter has at her house, they have a sump pump that runs most of the time, so can't lose power. These run on Nat. Gas if you have it, the new ones can be controlled with a smart phone, I hear, but who runs the phone?

I just run a portable 5K, china generator, keeps the important stuff going ( my TV):D and the furnace, fridge, microwave, etc. Right now we are at -15 at 2pm

Only problem is pulling the rope, should have got electric starter, and keeping some gas on hand, thinking I should have a little value on the ram tank for a 1/4 inch hose.

Last edited: