Is the H.O. with the Aisin worth the upcharge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double Nutted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 68 RFE has been fine and I just wish I could raise the sixth gear shift RPM. I tow 15 K in the Colorado mountains with added horsepower and that hasn’t been a problem with 137K miles currently. I towed for two years at +120HP but I baby it during acceleration and try to do reduced power OD shifts. But I use all the RPM and power it can muster when I’m on the mountain passes.

BlackHorsePaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I tow a 16000 pound horse camper. Had 3 or 4 3500 with standard 6.7 and 68rfe. This time have 22 3500 with HO and Aisin. Totally impressed with the difference. Especially in mountains.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a 16 ,3500 with the Aisin . No issues with the tranny . First to second shift in certain circumstances was bang it shifted . Parking lots or stuck in slow moving traffic is where this usually happened . Under load or hammer down smooth as silk . Maintenance is more costly because you have to drop the pan every 40000 miles or so, change filter and then add 6 or 7 quarts of Mopars ASRC fluid which is nothing more than Toyota type IV fluid . First change done at dealer $600 cad. The next one did myself , filter and gasket $120 , fluid was Valvoline Max multi vehicle which meets the ARSC specs . Got it at Walmart $60 .

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to be putting in an order soon and will probably stick with the 68rfe. Can't wait to get out of the gas engine!

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Has anyone driven both a 22' and 23' 3500 with the Aisin? If so, notice any tuning differences/smoother shifts? I went to a dealer last week and they had two H.O.'s, but would not let me drive them due to a recall, though I thought it was only on the 68rfe equipped trucks.

My 22' that I had, had the 68rfe and I had issues with it. I tow commercially 3-4 times per week, but rarely exceeding 10k lbs. I've always had the 68rfe, but was thinking about changing it up this time. Just wondering if its worth the extra cost and extra maintenance cost to own the H.O.?

I'm looking at it more from a reliability and performance perspective. When I've ran values on KBB with the same truck and mileage, just switching transmissions, the aisin equipped trucks don't appear to be worth anymore than the 68rfe trucks.
You can't tune an Aisin but it's overbuilt and worth it.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wish the Cummins came with the Allison 10 speed. My 2015 2500 HD has 30,000 miles on it and so far no troubles. I towed with it the first 2500 miles then been a daily driver. not happy about the fuel economy.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You don't really buy these for fuel economy. That said, I got 13.5 mpg in my 2500 in stock form and 19 mpg when deleted. I was seeing 14.5-15mpg in my 3500 until I deleted it. Then I was getting upwards of 19-19.5 empty. My 1500 only gets about 18-18.5. Not too terrible honestly.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why do people feel like it's okay to come into a thread like this and try to totally derail it? The OP never asked about gas vs diesel.
It is my belief that folks that make comments like this are folks that wanted a diesel but for whatever reason, didn't get one. So to compensate, they build themselves up by berating those of us that do have diesels with completely unsupported claims of higher maintenance costs, horrible reliability, and other inflammatory remarks they can conger up. I simply ignore them.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Agreed!

I built a spreadsheet at one point before deciding to switch to diesel to try and figure out the cost differential. Just maintenance cost alone actually worked out over the long term (200k miles was the standard I used) to be slightly cheaper than the gas burning equivalent.

Sure, oil changes cost more, but they're less frequent. Yes, there are added costs for fuel filters, but no spark plugs, coil packs, etc... to contend with. It all came out in the wash with the nod towards the diesel for longevity.

I really wish I could have justified keeping my 3500. It was the best truck I'd ever owned. I miss it every day, and hope to be able to get back into one in the next 3-5 years when we get our kid through college and buy another fifth wheel.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Don't know if it is still the case but the 2015 I service says to change the Trans oil every 30k. This gets to be an expense if it is an OT Truck.

But during those teen years the other Tranny 68RFE was junk so you might not have an option...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't know if it is still the case but the 2015 I service says to change the Trans oil every 30k. This gets to be an expense if it is an OT Truck.

But during those teen years the other Tranny 68RFE was junk so you might not have an option...
My 2012 and 2016 both had the 68RFE and the service intervals in my manual were the same. 60k mile service for severe duty, and 120k miles for light duty.

68RFEs are far from junk. 9 times out of 10 when someone complains that their 68RFE turned into a grenade was because they deleted it, slapped on a trans tune to up the line pressure (to handle the additional HP/TQ from the tune) and then turned up the boost. That'll get them every time. The 68RFE is designed to handle the stock HP/Tq just fine. Not much more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know guy in my line of work with a 2015 3/4 Limited and 68rfe. He needed a new tranny at around 200k towing with it 3-4 times per week. Probably similar weight to what I tow.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would caution against using one person as an example, only because there are so many variables at play. Did he change the fluid on the intervals as recommended? Did he use the proper fluid and the OEM filter, or did he or a shop use aftermarket? How did he drive the truck? etc... Just as I say caution using his experience, take mine with a grain of salt as well. Everyone's mileage varies. :) I suggest to just do the research and see what you're comfortable with

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Only the Aisin transmission found in the HO Cummins and C&Cs have the 30K fluid change requirement.

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would caution against using one person as an example, only because there are so many variables at play. Did he change the fluid on the intervals as recommended? Did he use the proper fluid and the OEM filter, or did he or a shop use aftermarket? How did he drive the truck? etc... Just as I say caution using his experience, take mine with a grain of salt as well. Everyone's mileage varies. :) I suggest to just do the research and see what you're comfortable with
True.