Is there a clear "best" aftermarket gooseneck hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Unfortunately my 2500 didn't come with a gooseneck hitch so I need to install one. I've never towed a gooseneck so I don't know anything about them, is there a clear winner as far as aftermarket hitches go?

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
B&W is the industry standard, my last truck I installed the flip over made by popup hitch. My current truck has the curt, I liked them all. Most people will recommend b&w.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
If I decide to get a 5'er toy hauler I'm going with the B&W. Pretty much every review I have seen puts it at the top of the list. I already have their gooseneck flipover. I just WISH the RV manufacturers would give us a goose option instead of the 5'er... I don't want to stack adapters on top of adapters or have to strip out my bed every time I want to hook the trailer up.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have the Curt OEM style #60614. If you are doing a self install the nuts that go between the frame and bed on welded to a long metal plate that makes getting them in there and tightening them a snap. Took me about 2 hours to install the hitch myself. A friend recently had a B&W professionally installed on an F250 by a B&W dealer and it took them 5 hours with a lift.

With any hitch that has a removable ball, I always take it out and store it wrapped in a cloth under the rear seat. Leaving them in for an extended period of time invites getting the ball rusted into the socket.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If I decide to get a 5'er toy hauler I'm going with the B&W. Pretty much every review I have seen puts it at the top of the list. I already have their gooseneck flipover. I just WISH the RV manufacturers would give us a goose option instead of the 5'er... I don't want to stack adapters on top of adapters or have to strip out my bed every time I want to hook the trailer up.

The Reese Goosebox is warranty approved for many 5th wheels. No wacky adapters necessary.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
The Reese Goosebox is warranty approved for many 5th wheels. No wacky adapters necessary.

I had looked at the Goosebox a while back but think it must have just been new on the market and a lot of the reviews were back and forth. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll take another look at it!

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Thank you gentlemen

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
With any hitch that has a removable ball, I always take it out and store it wrapped in a cloth under the rear seat. Leaving them in for an extended period of time invites getting the ball rusted into the socket.

Thanks for this tidbit - I'm going to do this today! I had a local shop install my hitch, and don't remember what brand it is. It's worked well for what I needed it for (stock trailer).

2018_snowweek-cows.jpg

es

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed the B&W in my 2500 and love it. they now have a rubber plug as well for the hole when the ball is out.

I installed it in the campground myself and it didnt take long at all. Maybe a couple of hours. Just remove the spare tire and all went well!

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How about something like this.... :)

93600925_10216326854106246_4955236402280267776_o.jpg

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

The Reese Goosebox replaces your pinbox with an air ride pinbox that is attached via a gooseball. I've heard great things about this setup. I would've gone this way, I just couldn't find enough info on the offset of the setup and I have a mega cab short bed truck so I went with the Andersen Ultimate on a B&W turnover ball.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
How about something like this.... :)

93600925_10216326854106246_4955236402280267776_o.jpg

Hey don't laugh. He can tow two more trailers with that setup since there are two open receivers. All he has to do is put a couple of those receiver extensions turned 90 degrees. Add to those and he can get the two extra receivers out at the ends of the bumper.

Nothing bad could possibly happen with that setup. I am waiting for the "you are 10 pounds over GVWR" crowd to see this one. Their heads will explode.

Wonder if he had a camp fire in the bed. Looks like he melted the bed liner.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
The least they could have done was hook up the safety chains and breakaway cable! LOL

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Somehow I don think safe towing is in their vocabulary. But hey they did hook up the 7-way connector.