Is there any reason not to use an auto stop start eliminator on an etorque truck?

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I just installed the auto start stop eliminator on my truck, quick 5 min install, and it works as promised. But it got me wondering if there is any downside to having it off all the time?

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Probably no "downside"... it was included in many vehicles as a means of boosting (albeit very slightly in real life driving) EPA fuel economy ratings and attempting to keep the government off the manufacturers' backs. It is more of an annoyance and many folks are switching it off after starting the vehicle or finding other ways to get around it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Drove a rental car with it in Iceland. What a PITA. I finally learned that when coming to a stop if you back off the brake just a little it wont kill it.

zogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last truck was an f150. After three weeks I bought the eliminator online and installed it immediately. Best $100 I ever spent. There were absolutely no issues. Could turn it off and on at my discretion. Enjoy

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's personal preference, I have it and I don't even realize it operating. By the time my foot is off the brake the truck is ready to go.

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
To answer your question, I can't see any reason not to use an autostop eliminator if you want to disable stop/start. I've had one installed on my 2021 Limited for over six months now, and haven't had any issues with it. There's no downside to it other than not saving that small amount of fuel if you drive in the right kind of conditions. It works perfectly, and I can turn stop/start on for those rare times that I'm driving in stop and go traffic.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my first one. 2021 bighorn 5.7 I like it. Some people dislike new technology?? I am truly getting the 2 mpg extra over my 2019 5.7 without it. Both trucks same gearing
I just wonder how much quicker it'll be making you replace the starter....

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed the auto start stop eliminator on my truck, quick 5 min install, and it works as promised. But it got me wondering if there is any downside to having it off all the time?
Hi. I'm wondering about the 48 Volt battery pack that runs the eTorque starter function. If it is disabled all of the time, does the 48 Volt battery pack still get charged? For some batteries, leaving them in a discharged state over a period of time, reduces their life. I have no idea if that applies here or not.
At first, I didn't like the engine shutting off at stop lights, but there are some REALLY long stop lights in certain intersections and I LIKE not having the engine idle for that long of a period of time. Some folks have speculated that during idle, the oil pressure is reduced and there's further speculation regarding vehicles that spend a great amount of time idling, are more likely to develop the hemi tick. It's a lot of speculation and conjecture - but who knows. Thanks.
John

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just wonder how much quicker it'll be making you replace the starter....
We use a fleet of Pacificas, no starter failures that I have heard of. Mine has 75k miles on it.

I didn't think the Ram uses the starter with etorque, I think the etorque motor starts the moving and engine. But I don't own one and am not 100% sure on that.