Is there any reason not to use an auto stop start eliminator on an etorque truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jeveretts

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Nope the E-torque motor starts the truck in start stop. I hate start stop but on the Ram it is unnoticeable after a couple days.

I would agree, but this morning I turned it off till the truck got warmed up. At the exit of my neighborhood I did a quick stop-start-stop-start and felt a mild clunk in the middle there somewhere. It needs to be a bit better a very brief stops and restart.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
That seems like a broad assumption.

How old is old? I'm 35 and wouldn't consider getting etorque, I can handle change but I'm not going to willingly accept change that I don't want. This truck has a lot of things I've never had before and that I enjoy, but I'll pass on the etorque and wish I could pass on MDS as well. Can't stand the way that feels and causes hesitation.
Old enough. Also fair. You had the choice to select non eTorque. The MDS isn’t that bad. I don’t ever get hesitations switching. But I’m not mashing the throttle. I actually like to see Eco on the dash. Means I’m saving fuel. At 13.8 mpg, I need the help.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old enough. Also fair. You had the choice to select non eTorque. The MDS isn’t that bad. I don’t ever get hesitations switching. But I’m not mashing the throttle. I actually like to see Eco on the dash. Means I’m saving fuel. At 13.8 mpg, I need the help.

Fair, I don't care if other people want and enjoy these options, I just simply want them to be options for those of us that don't.

And I feel the mds going in and out under any kind of throttle conditions, more so certainly when "mashing' the throttle, but it's very obvious to me under normal acceleration as well. I'm glad you don't notice it though, more power to you.

I couldn't tell you what I get for mpgs but I'd have to guess somewhere in the 12-14 range. Lots of remote starting and a fairly aggressive driving style, it goes fairly quick but I make my choices that lead to that.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Fair, I don't care if other people want and enjoy these options, I just simply want them to be options for those of us that don't.

And I feel the mds going in and out under any kind of throttle conditions, more so certainly when "mashing' the throttle, but it's very obvious to me under normal acceleration as well. I'm glad you don't notice it though, more power to you.

I couldn't tell you what I get for mpgs but I'd have to guess somewhere in the 12-14 range. Lots of remote starting and a fairly aggressive driving style, it goes fairly quick but I make my choices that lead to that.
I just happen to live in an area where everywhere I go is uphill. With 6 stops. The 3.92 rear also doesn’t help. Just drive 200 miles on the freeway (Seattle to Portland) and got 16.6mpg. Ugh. I was praying MDS would turn on!

sgosforth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just installed the auto start stop eliminator on my truck, quick 5 min install, and it works as promised. But it got me wondering if there is any downside to having it off all the time?
I know of 2 people who had their starters wear out prematurely due to auto start/stop feature. I'm pleased I can turn that feature off in both of my vehicles.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I know of 2 people who had their starters wear out prematurely due to auto start/stop feature. I'm pleased I can turn that feature off in both of my vehicles.

The starter isn't used with stop/start on eTorque Rams. The electric 'assist' motor restarts the main motor.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don’t get why people don’t like start stop. After a while you literally forget it’s there. Just becomes part of what the vehicle does. Lots of benefits, very little negatives. Mostly seems like old people who can’t handle change are the ones complaining.
Since you asked, I don't like stop/start for several reasons...
1. I live in a rural area. And there are very few spots that I might have to stop. Many days I only stop at the one stop sign on my drive home. There is very little traffic, so that stop may even be a rolling stop if it's clear to proceed. So the stop/start system doesn't benefit me on my normal commute.

2. During the summer, when I am driving in an area where stop start does actually work, I don't like the AC compressor to be shut off. It's not so much the change in temps, because that is minimal. It's the change in smell and humidity when the compressor isn't running and the HVAC is only blowing residual cool air.

3. I know it's not the same as a cold start, but your engine is restarting over and over. Oil pressure has dropped to zero, so that needs to build back up again after restarting. Whether more wear is actually happening, I don't know. But it makes sense to me that it would cause at least some amount of wear that wouldn't occur if the engine stays running.

4. I'm an old guy who can't handle change :p

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Since you asked, I don't like stop/start for several reasons...

2. During the summer, when I am driving in an area where stop start does actually work, I don't like the AC compressor to be shut off. It's not so much the change in temps, because that is minimal. It's the change in smell and humidity when the compressor isn't running and the HVAC is only blowing residual cool air.

That's my biggest complaint on the rental cars I've had that had start/stop. I've *heard* etorque is much better at keeping the HVAC operating seamlessly, but no direct experience. In the various Korean and Japanese makes the rental car companies love it's very noticable.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's my biggest complaint on the rental cars I've had that had start/stop. I've *heard* etorque is much better at keeping the HVAC operating seamlessly, but no direct experience. In the various Korean and Japanese makes the rental car companies love it's very noticable.
I do have to say that Ram has done stop/start better than any other car I've driven with with it. But for me it's still very noticeable when the AC compressor isn't running. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it than most people.