Is this 2018 EcoDiesel dead (rod bearings failure) ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
It happened on the highway while pulling a 7000 lbs travel trailer on flat surface. The truck is a 2018 Ecodiesel with 118,000 KM / 73,000 miles and has had a GDE tune on it since 75,000 KM / 46,000 miles. There were no warning signs, the truck has had regular service and oil changes and the towing was very mild: only 5000 KM / 3000 miles for its whole life. Except the loud noise and banging, there are no lights showing up in the dash.

The is no warranty left and I am hoping this is not the dreaded rod bearing failure.
Can anyone diagnose what is happening from the sound in the videos?

Noise outside
Noise inside

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
something let loose,
it might be some failed injectors with only a couple of cylinders firing but that a slim chance.

OP
OP
D

DRCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The engine oil pressure still shows up as normal so I am thinking maybe the pistons are OK?

Last edited:

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
A rod bearing would be a steady knocking. To much other noise

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The engine oil pressure still shows up as normal so I am thinking maybe the pistons are OK?
oil pressure is a calculated value, uses engine rpm and oil temperature to determine the oil pressure reading on the dash. The Cummins engine use in the HD trucks takes it one step further, the oil pressure and temperature are both calculated values.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what noises would accompany a slipped/broken tone ring, but I believe there've been a number of folks that thought they spun the bearings only to find out it's the tone ring issue. didnt they extend the warranty on that thing? You may want to head over to ram1500diesel dot com....great forum but focused on the Ecodiesel.