Is this a bad bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splat32

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 HO
When I first start out in the morning, after backing the truck out of the driveway, and putting it in Drive, I hear a sound coming from…I think…the driver side front. The sound seems to be associated with the rotation of the wheels at slow speed (<10 mph). After travelling about 100 feet, the sound disappears. I would describe the sound as a low frequency squeal. After this, I don’t hear any other noise at any speed or feel any vibration. This only happens after the truck sits overnight. Could this be a wheel bearing going bad?

This just started a few weeks ago. 3 months ago, I replaced all rotors and brake pads. At the same time, I checked the front bearings and they seemed to be fine. There was no grinding or looseness.

This truck is all stock with 120k miles on it.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know in my 21 Ram when there's moisture in the air and the truck sits overnight I hear a good squealing backing out of my driveway. After that it's quiet as a church mouse. I highly doubt what you're hearing is a bearing noise. More than likely it's a brake pad noise. When you say "I did the brakes" I'm assuming you actually did and not a shop or someone else correct? Did you happen to notice a difference in pad thickness between the left and right sides? Also did the caliper pistons retract fairly easily without binding up? Make sure you use some brake pad grease on the pad and caliper contact points (not on the pad surface that touches the rotor). Make sure caliper pins move freely and are lubed up.

OP
OP
S

Splat32

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 HO
Yes, I wire wheeled the slide pins and lubed them. The Power Stop Z36 kit included pads, rotors, SS hardware, etc. Also lubed the back of the pads and the caliper contact points.

I'll have to get back in there in the next few weeks and see if a pad is dragging or a piston is binding. If the noise is related to my the brakes, it's odd that this would start a couple months after I did them.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, I wire wheeled the slide pins and lubed them. The Power Stop Z36 kit included pads, rotors, SS hardware, etc. Also lubed the back of the pads and the caliper contact points.

I'll have to get back in there in the next few weeks and see if a pad is dragging or a piston is binding. If the noise is related to my the brakes, it's odd that this would start a couple months after I did them.

The pins are only once place to clean. You need to clean and lube the pad contact surfaces on the caliper brakets as well, ie where the hardware kit clips in to. That area builds up and will prevent the pads from floating properly.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Try rocking the wheel with a solid grip on the top edge. IF there's any clunk or movement it's bearing related. But your's sounds more like pad drag. Mine does that every time I take it out. Sea air puts surface rust on overnight.