Is this a first model year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
03 2500 5.7 qclb 4x4 Laramie, just need to know so I can stay away from it, but its a one owner and only has 101k and no rust at all for 8k. What’s everyone thinking?

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
daily driver?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is the first full year of the 3rd generation trucks right there. There were a few that crept into production prior to the end of 2nd gen so 2002 was technically the start of the 3rd gen production.

Early HEMI's had valve spring and retainer problems but at 101K I think that engine is beyond having that problem.

I'd just inspect it like you do any old, used truck and see what ya got.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As long as you don't wanna hot rod or tune it beyond canned tuning go for it lol

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
As long as you don't wanna hot rod or tune it beyond canned tuning go for it lol

Nah I like to keep my vehicles pretty stock except maybe exhaust, wheels n tires, maybe a little better shocks, air filter etc, small mods that’s it usually for me. Definitely no tuners, I’m getting to old for go fast stuff anymore plus in my opinion, they cause more trouble then their worth.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nah I like to keep my vehicles pretty stock except maybe exhaust, wheels n tires, maybe a little better shocks, air filter etc, small mods that’s it usually for me. Definitely no tuners, I’m getting to old for go fast stuff anymore.
Oh you can use a canned tune no problem, in fact Superchips works really well on the 03. Just custom tunes are pretty much out.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Oh you can use a canned tune no problem, in fact Superchips works really well on the 03. Just custom tunes are pretty much out.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

If it helps the engine when I’m towing, I’d give it a shot.

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
One more question, is there a way to check the top end with a bore scope? Can I get through the oil fill like I could on my 4.7? This truck comes with 4.10’s so at least I know I won’t have an issue towing 10k or will I?

Ok, so it’s two questions lol.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
One more question, is there a way to check the top end with a bore scope? Can I get through the oil fill like I could on my 4.7? This truck comes with 4.10’s so at least I know I won’t have an issue towing 10k or will I?

Ok, so it’s two questions lol.

Pull the spark plugs, they point right at the pistons. Shouldn't have issues, though it might feel sluggish. Tow rating for that truck with 4.10's is 10,700 lbs.
http://dodgeram.info/2003/load-tow/2500.html

OP
OP
SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Something seems fishy to me, I called the car lot on Thursday to verify the truck was still there, it was, so I said I’ll be there today to look at it, he said ok great. 10 minuets later he calls and says, the owner of the truck came to borrow it to do something and while he was driving it he noticed something wasn’t right with the front end, so the owner of the truck took it to his mechanic to be fixed. The lot owner said to me that he has mechanics with over 20y experience that inspection it and didn’t notice anything wrong, hmm!

I’m wondering if this is a consignment deal. Idk what to do, this is the only decent truck within 100 miles of me in my price range that’s not rotted or have a ton of mileage on it.

Sometimes I really hate buying vehicles, it really is a headache trying to find something decent that I don’t have to dump a bunch of money into it right off the bat.