Is this a good idea? HD leaf springs with flip kit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still torn about what to do with my rear suspension. 375k miles on the truck (08 4.7 qc 4wd) and current setup is original beat-to-hell leaf springs with McG 2” drop shackles.

I’d really like to retain a reverse level (stock front, 2” rear drop) and the easy solution would be new replacement standard 3+1 leaf springs from General Spring with the same McG shackles

But how about getting the “heavy duty” 4+1 leaf springs from the same source, which I’ve read gives a 2” lift over stock, and running them with a spring-under flip kit? That should give me a 2” lift from the springs and 4” drop from the flip, netting a 2” drop with more capable, stiffer rear springs.

Sounds pretty good right? Or is it a horrible idea? Any input/criticism welcome...

OP
OP

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, this truck does haul heavy (payload, not trailer) from time to time, and spends the rest of its time being driven like a wannabe race/drift car. Some form of traction bars/Caltracs are also in its future for axle wrap if needed, though I’ve read that spring under setups suffer less axle wrap than spring over. So perhaps another benefit of the flip