Is this hemi tick or should I be worried

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovaDenied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 5.7 hemi ram makes a tapping sound when warm and at idle but only after sitting a few minutes. Driving I don't hear it. It does increase with rpm up to 1500 rpm and then its gone until it idles a few minutes. I' m hoping its just the hemi tick but I thought that was constant and not just when warm and at idle. If you listen I rev it and it sounds like it ticks but as it idles you can hear a tapping slowly get louder. I am stalling a lot but I think that is just my fuel pump going out. Overall she runs like a possum up a tree and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I have an 10an engine oil air cooler too and JBA shorty headers. The sound was present before I put on the headers.

I have 2 youtube links for video documentation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcKq5h_mvr0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS606VOCOa0

OP
OP
N

NovaDenied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used stage 8 fastener bolts for the headers and remflex gaskets.

Chrismb5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, I bought mine last October and its making the same noise, but my truck is also stalling once or twice every couple of weeks. Tried everything I could to get rid of it but nothing works. After 7,000 miles, I've recently got the guts to get on it hard enough to see what would happen... Nothing. She sounds the same, noise isn't any louder or worse. Haven't lost any power. I have installed pacesetter mid-length headers, also a 93 octane Diablo Sport tune, truck has amazing power towing and hauling, (just 2 days ago I was lugging around a 7k pound pressure washer trailer with ease) but the noise is always the same. I still feel like there's something going on in there but I've grown into it. Also mine is an 04 single cab 2wd that had 159k when purchased for a killer deal cause of the tick.

OP
OP
N

NovaDenied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did end up replacing the fuel pump and haven't stalled since but I sometimes get some hesitation when slowly accelerating from a stop and still idle at 500rpm, which seems low to me.

I also have an evap leak, I replaced the detection pump but that was only one leak fixed and I have another somewhere. I'm gonna replace the purge valve next just in case its the related to the stalls. Then I'm onto the o2 sensors.

As for the sound, I had to swap the engine and when I was bleeding the coolant for 30 minutes while hot, there was no sound but after a month or so of driving, it started. At first I had penszoil high mileage 5w20 with a mobile 1 filter and then switched to redline 5w30 with royal purple filter and that was before I heard the sound.

I'm running royal purple 5w30 oil and filter now and I noticed that with the redline the sound was present the moment i began idling but with rp oil it will return after a couple of minutes. So it has me thinking oil may be thick and not doing its job at idle or the engine is really dirty. I've only driven 8k miles or so with the swapped engine.

I doubt that's the case but I'm gonna put in what I had originally with the oil cooler for 500 miles and see if there is any difference and if not another 500 miles without the oil cooler. I'm also gonna install an ISSpro oil pressure gauge because I don't trust the one in the truck.

But like you said, there doesn't appear to be any solution other than a reman engine, and i'm not gonna swap out the heads and lifters only to find out out it didn't solve the problem.
I just think I'll limit how long I idle, just in case, and that's is gonna make waiting for heat in the winter miserable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01