Is this the correct Redline 5w30 to quiet the hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's a lifter tick,99.9% of the time,the cam is also toast.Generally most of the aftermarket cams have a better rep then the stock cams do.If he's going in to do lifters,tell him to also replace the cam,otherwise there's a good chance you'll be doing the job again sooner then later.
So, if it's a metallurgy issue, then why? After 100+ years of making cars, would metallurgy become an issue? Surely, the engineers who sit high over the populace in their ivory towers could and should have put poor metallurgy to bed once and for all? Methinks that the bean counters might have too much influence over these critical decisions!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So, if it's a metallurgy issue, then why? After 100+ years of making cars, would metallurgy become an issue? Surely, the engineers who sit high over the populace in their ivory towers could and should have put poor metallurgy to bed once and for all? Methinks that the bean counters might have too much influence over these critical decisions!
Apparently the engineers spec'd a billet cam for the VVT engines,but they were over ruled as you guessed by the bean counters

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Planned obsolescence, unfortunately

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Remember the early 80's GM cam wipeouts? Changed from carburizing to induction surface hardening, didn't get it right. All sorts of 305's wiped cams. Ask me how I know.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember the early 80's GM cam wipeouts? Changed from carburizing to induction surface hardening, didn't get it right. All sorts of 305's wiped cams. Ask me how I know.
That generation 305/350's saw a reduction in both nickel content in the iron engine castings and a "thinning" out of both head and block castings in order to reduce weight and control manufacture costs. we were seeing many casting cracks in those days, under warranty.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Planned obsolescence, unfortunately
At a list of 73 grand (My buddy just took delivery of his brand new Ram.), there is NO excuse for the kind of major nature of so many issues we hear about. Or, are these issues really more on the lesser side? And we in these forums here about so many issues due to the nature OF these formats? A few people I've known have put huge numbers of dollars into 20+ year old vehicles due to their own fear of their own horror stories their family/friends/co-workers, et. al. have related to them. I rebuilt a 1ZZFE Toyota engine in a Matrix (Pontiac Vibe) back in 2016. The car had 194,000 miles on it. The owner's son had run it out of oil and seized up the engine. I blue-printed that engine, and, at his behest, replaced the A/C compressor, alternator, motor mounts, injectors, all hoses, and other pieces I can't recall. His bill for everything? His total bill topped 8 grand. That was over 5 years ago, and the car has over 360K miles on it currently. He is a bean counter, and correctly calculated all the math of fixing a paid for car as opposed to all the math of new car depreciation, month to month loss in value, cost of loan, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

This man understands beating the system. Many more are starting to see the forest for the trees!

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Finally moved my truck over to 5w30 Redline with the Royal Purple Filter. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Had two sets of lifters failures in under 50k miles. On my third set now. Have exclusively used 0w40 PUP up to this point. With my last couple oil changes, I have been using Lubeguard. I'm in Michigan, so the cold starts are pretty cold! What I have initially noticed is that whatever knock I hear in the morning, whether it is piston slap or lifters for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, is gone with Redline! Now, it hasn't been bitter cold in Michigan (by our standards). So we will see if the Redline can keep the really cold starts quiet too. But at this point, I already see a difference after a few days. Crossing my fingers. Thanks to all the oil fanatics in here for your help! I'll report back as tomorrow morning it is supposed to be in the teens / 20's in the morning.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Finally moved my truck over to 5w30 Redline with the Royal Purple Filter. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Had two sets of lifters failures in under 50k miles. On my third set now. Have exclusively used 0w40 PUP up to this point. With my last couple oil changes, I have been using Lubeguard. I'm in Michigan, so the cold starts are pretty cold! What I have initially noticed is that whatever knock I hear in the morning, whether it is piston slap or lifters for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, is gone with Redline! Now, it hasn't been bitter cold in Michigan (by our standards). So we will see if the Redline can keep the really cold starts quiet too. But at this point, I already see a difference after a few days. Crossing my fingers. Thanks to all the oil fanatics in here for your help! I'll report back as tomorrow morning it is supposed to be in the teens / 20's in the morning.
Right on, the best news backed by science and the results on this board is that redline doesn't meet it's full tick killing potential until the oil has over 500 miles on it, keep us updated. As for what happens in the cold, that isn't lifter tick, it is piston slap, and that is when metal shrinks due to temp, no way around that one.

Now, some engines are more susceptible then others, that may help us understand lifter tick if we knew that those trucks that are prone to piston slap are also prone to lifter tick, but we don't know anything like that at this point. Maybe in the future we will test that, or poll that. For now, piston slap doesn't seam to be a large enough problem to get back good data.

Having said that, thanks to hemi395 we know with cold piston slap and redline that 0w30 is literally the only redline offering that helps that condition, which also is backed with science, as that oil has the most vii's then any redline 20 or 30 weight, so it makes sense just like the plating effect of heavy ep additives makes sense. The miracle is that these theories are actually working, they are fixing conditions that otherwise are unfixable. It has always been an age old question if oil choice matters, and most of BITOG will tell you it doesn't, and I was in the camp myself until the mass results we have gotten from ram forum.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Right on, the best news backed by science and the results on this board is that redline doesn't meet it's full tick killing potential until the oil has over 500 miles on it, keep us updated. As for what happens in the cold, that isn't lifter tick, it is piston slap, and that is when metal shrinks due to temp, no way around that one.

Now, some engines are more susceptible then others, that may help us understand lifter tick if we knew that those trucks that are prone to piston slap are also prone to lifter tick, but we don't know anything like that at this point. Maybe in the future we will test that, or poll that. For now, piston slap doesn't seam to be a large enough problem to get back good data.

Having said that, thanks to hemi395 we know with cold piston slap and redline that 0w30 is literally the only redline offering that helps that condition, which also is backed with science, as that oil has the most vii's then any redline 20 or 30 weight, so it makes sense just like the plating effect of heavy ep additives makes sense. The miracle is that these theories are actually working, they are fixing conditions that otherwise are unfixable. It has always been an age old question if oil choice matters, and most of BITOG will tell you it doesn't, and I was in the camp myself until the mass results we have gotten from ram forum.
Will do. Appreciate all the help! Depending on what happens in really cold temps, maybe I will find myself at the 0w30. But I'll report back when I get more details! Again, thanks for all your help!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I changed RL 5W-30 to 0W-30 last week. Just in time...temp is 3 degrees with 40 mph wind.

I didn't hear piston slap prior while on PUP 0W-40, but Red Line is denser base oil, so not taking any chances after @Hemi395 experiences.
I wonder if Hemi power cylinder design didn't use short skirt pistons? Must be some reason some engines piston slap and others don't.
Anyway, carry on!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think it might be the fact that engines with piston slap will also shred that 0w30 visc, so personally if I was in that cold I would wait til I heard piston slap before switching. The good news is at least in coreys engine the 0w30 is still keeping hemi tick away, so it seams like a good bargain or balance. I do believe that will depend on each engine, but there are moves to make. Did you get your uoa back yet hemimann?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nope. Still waiting.
Up here on the tundra, we never know when we'll get smacked with the finger of Putin over the north pole, so we've learned to maintain equipment on a potential weather schedule and not wait until the day something happens.

That said, I pushed the boy to change gear oil overdue in his differential last evening. So he is a happy camper today at work.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I changed RL 5W-30 to 0W-30 last week. Just in time...temp is 3 degrees with 40 mph wind.

I didn't hear piston slap prior while on PUP 0W-40, but Red Line is denser base oil, so not taking any chances after @Hemi395 experiences.
I wonder if Hemi power cylinder design didn't use short skirt pistons? Must be some reason some engines piston slap and others don't.
Anyway, carry on!
30 over here in the yoop! 14 inches of snow though lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
30 over here in the yoop! 14 inches of snow though lol

Springtime in da yoop!
Working on yer 240 annual inches, I see. Powderhorn, Indianhead, and Blackjack will be happy.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yup.. put 0w30 last February and never heard a tick, slap, snap crackle or pop. Since I had put it in later in the winter I ran it all summer...recently sent off for a uoa (took 2 weeks to get to blackstone!), still anxiously awaiting the results. I'll try to post as soon as I get it!

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
It was 19 degrees this morning on the way to work. Truck started fine and then I heard the knocking again after about 10 seconds. It has to be piston slap as it lasts about 30 seconds and then goes away only on cold days. We will see what it sounds like in about 500 miles. I think I have about 100 miles on the 5w30 redline and the royal purple filter. I'll report back in the days to come as I get closer to the 500 mile time frame.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was 19 degrees this morning on the way to work. Truck started fine and then I heard the knocking again after about 10 seconds. It has to be piston slap as it lasts about 30 seconds and then goes away only on cold days. We will see what it sounds like in about 500 miles. I think I have about 100 miles on the 5w30 redline and the royal purple filter. I'll report back in the days to come as I get closer to the 500 mile time frame.
Cold piston slap was the bane of the "new" generation of the Cadillac 425 engines when they were first introduced in 1977. I was a line mechanic (engines, differentials, etc.) for Cadillac back then. In the years since, I've seen it many times. Fortunately, it has never been a negative thing for longevity in any engine.

In the early 90's, the 350 Chevy engine suffered from a cold "thud-thud-thud" in the first 2-3 seconds upon cold start up. My 1993 Suburban did it. This problem was borne of a very slight block align bore problem for the crankshaft main bearings. GM issued a TSB and claimed that it wasn't a longevity issue. Mine went to 200K miles before being totalled out by a falling tree during a tornado, but it had gone all those miles without failure.... but it continued to it's last day to thud upon cold start regardless of ambient temperature.

The hemi tick issue, though, seems to have a different long term outcome.