Is this the correct Redline 5w30 to quiet the hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I prefer ad hominem to passive aggressive personally, it's more honest. I'm not sure what long term info is needed other then long term uoa's that have been provided, the fact there has been no cam fails in the control group of ticking hemi's with redline in them, but hey, lets talk fancy and maybe people wont pay attention to the facts. Maybe convince folks that high performance oils have no value because my grand dad said so in his humpty dumpty mobile. Anyone with out hemi tick would fall for that, but I promise you everyone whose truck starts ticking they will follow the work here, that gets old real quick. Some will fail, some will win, the good news is all it takes is an oil change to find out.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Did you see this thread? I left the votes PUBLIC, so you can follow up with any ram forum member on their cured ticking hemi's.

50 ram forum members tick was killed with redline.

24 ram forum members it helped quiet the tick partially

9 votes it did not help hemi tick.

So your "Recommendation" per your words is to use an oil that makes someone truck tick??? I'm sorry dude, what kind of recommendation is that? This thread was created after 5 years of keeping track at another group that also showed an 80% success rate, it was worded different in those days, we didnt have third option of partially. This has helped untold numbers of people here, how is this a threat to your sensibilities? My recommendation if credibility is a thought worthy of chasing, when you find your self swimming in a tide, swim with that tide and not against it.
Well said Sir. Thank you.

Octane

Reaction score
The same company whose engineers created a ticky tocky engine claims to have one of the best products on the market.Requests that you not go outside their maintenance recommendations to achieve longer and more troublefree miles.Yet build planned obsolescence into the product they build.Then warns everyone that using a product to counteract that obsolescence that they will thereby shorten and negatively impact that products life.Proof that they do not want that planned obsolescence tinkered with.Engineers are gods and infallible in their designs and recommendations...we all know that.But in the real world the consumers are many times more right than wrong.But that can be offensive to some that know "The Knowledge"is only with them....speaking to the general population of engineering gods of course.lol

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I coul
The same company whose engineers created a ticky tocky engine claims to have one of the best products on the market.Requests that you not go outside their maintenance recommendations to achieve longer and more troublefree miles.Yet build planned obsolescence into the product they build.Then warns everyone that using a product to counteract that obsolescence that they will thereby shorten and negatively impact that products life.Proof that they do not want that planned obsolescence tinkered with.Engineers are gods and infallible in their designs and recommendations...we all know that.But in the real world the consumers are many times more right than wrong.But that can be offensive to some that know "The Knowledge"is only with them....speaking to the general population of engineering gods of course.lol

I could not have articulated it any better, myself.

That said, people will interpret intent from our posts as they will. I allude to the allopathic nature of the masses at large, instead of true understanding of what reality is in terms of curing problems.

We peons were not going to change GM's arrogance of the mid 20th century arrogance that they could continue to build garbage and the masses will follow like lemurs to the dealer. (E.G. Vega and overall substandard quality in their entire line) Read the book "Collision Course" if you really want good insight into these truths. "Unsafe At Any Speed" is also enlightening to unsavory facts of life regarding mass production numbers opposed to small fractional problems such as this one. Eventually, the Japanese put the big 3 on their collective *****, and rightfully so, given the spirit of free enterprise.

The true story of the Ford Pinto debacle is shocking at it's core. I owned 3 Pintos through the years following the recall to cure their proclivity to exploding into a fire ball at very low rear collisions. They really were decent vehicles, all things considered, but the nasty stigma caused by media's yellow journalism in the matter doomed the model.

All this inter bickering over an allopathic "pill" (oils, filters, additives) will continue in these and other forums of the few. The inconvenient truth is that the big corporations weigh risk every day. They have entire departments devoted to it. This means that we the few with ticking engines are on our own. I've been made aware that the use of certain of these products has, in fact, cured a very minute number of the ticking Hemis. And, you are correct that today's consumers are not to be trifled with inasmuch as intelligence is concerned.

I deal with engineers who think they know more than me when I explain car problems to them. They aren't ALL so Hubris as to be like you say, but it is frequently so. My thought is that the Hierarchy of Competency has to prevail. After all, If I had a tumor in my brain I'd rather the long of tooth Master Physician perform my surgery than go to some young buck who refers to anecdotal means to apply alternative treatment.

Dad taught me that the proof is in the pudding. HE was an engineer, but one more grounded in reality than most I've ever known.
The lifter/tick/cam wipeout problem is shared by GM 5.3 V-8's of modern ilk, too.

Regardless of who the manufacturer is, they will adhere to good old greed first. The solutions ARE up to we in the ranks. Have you watched the advertisements on TV lately, and gleaned the subliminal messages therefrom? I rest my case.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Exactly right, and well-stated. I worked in the industry as an engineer and manager for over 30 years - this is exactly what corporations have become. It didn't always use to be like this, they've morphed over time. Some of us older folks wish it still was, but wishful thinking doesn't overcome actual design problems that they won't tell us about.

Hence Forums such as these. Message: owners are on their own!

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE here too -- redline has done nothing for my particular tic, taking 'er in soon to see what the problem truly is and what my options are! HOpefully not the dreaded tic, etc....!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Reminder - there are two Hemi ticks....the exhaust manifold leak due to warped manifolds and broken bolts, and stuck valve lifter rollers due to insufficient lubrication. The first is a nuisance, the second is catastrophic. They sound similar, but not the same.

Make sure you don't have the exhaust manifold leak tick before you take the deep dive into the block.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly right, and well-stated. I worked in the industry as an engineer and manager for over 30 years - this is exactly what corporations have become. It didn't always use to be like this, they've morphed over time. Some of us older folks wish it still was, but wishful thinking doesn't overcome actual design problems that they won't tell us about.

Hence Forums such as these. Message: owners are on their own!
Would it be an accurate paraphrase to say "Catch us if you can"?

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reminder - there are two Hemi ticks....the exhaust manifold leak due to warped manifolds and broken bolts, and stuck valve lifter rollers due to insufficient lubrication. The first is a nuisance, the second is catastrophic. They sound similar, but not the same.

Make sure you don't have the exhaust manifold leak tick before you take the deep dive into the block.
That was my experience...ticked like crazy. Then I checked the manifold covers, which were loose. Brought it in (under the extended warranty, thank goodness!), all fixed (for now anyway), and it purrs like a kitten.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to take it to my local shop, I won't be digging into anything myself! BUt yep, I'm aware it may or may not be the lifters. Hoping for bolts...!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I have to take it to my local shop, I won't be digging into anything myself! BUt yep, I'm aware it may or may not be the lifters. Hoping for bolts...!
I might have overlooked if you posted your trucks year/mileage/and type of Red Line oil/filter you used and if you let five hundred or so miles accumulated in the RedLine oil ... my truck is a 2017 HEMI RAM with close to forty thousand miles now ...I did an oil change at the end of August @ thirty nine thousand miles using Red Line 5w/30 and a Purolator Boss oil filter. My truck only has the occasional dry start up and engine drive train noise from being parked under my carport ... my truck runs quite now and there isn't anymore dry start up and my HEMI sounds better each time I drive it ... I should have used Red Line a long time ago.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I might have overlooked if you posted your trucks year/mileage/and type of Red Line oil/filter you used and if you let five hundred or so miles accumulated in the RedLine oil ... my truck is a 2017 HEMI RAM with close to forty thousand miles now ...I did an oil change at the end of August @ thirty nine thousand miles using Red Line 5w/30 and a Purolator Boss oil filter. My truck only has the occasional dry start up and engine drive train noise from being parked under my carport ... my truck runs quite now and there isn't anymore dry start up and my HEMI sounds better each time I drive it ... I should have used Red Line a long time ago.
5rnkis.jpg

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So I have a 2013 tradesman 5.7" - I put in Redline 5W30 for 6k w/ royal purple filter and no change in tick, never went away but never got worse. Now that the weather is a bit cooler, the tick is worse. I took it in TODAY, FINALLY....and yes lifter tick has been comfirmed by my tech. We are going to do a flush and some type of BG additive and mobil 1. It needed an oil change anyways so...one last roll of the dice. My tech said to expect $3000 or more to get in and replace all 16 lifters if [honestly to me, WHEN] the additive stuff does not help. I am assuming this is a reasonable price, but I do not have the exact quote in front of me - what's everyone think about that?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's a good price if they were serious, but many guys change lifters to still have tick. I'm not sure I'd change lifters just to get rid of tick, that is hit or miss.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what mystifies me - so we change the lifters and just get another 8 years out of the truck if I'm lucky? That doesn't really make sense to me. Yes, I've heard of the guys capping the eco holes, tricking the computer, and using a 2500 cam but that is of course not what my tech is talking about.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's what mystifies me - so we change the lifters and just get another 8 years out of the truck if I'm lucky? That doesn't really make sense to me. Yes, I've heard of the guys capping the eco holes, tricking the computer, and using a 2500 cam but that is of course not what my tech is talking about.
If it's a lifter tick,99.9% of the time,the cam is also toast.Generally most of the aftermarket cams have a better rep then the stock cams do.If he's going in to do lifters,tell him to also replace the cam,otherwise there's a good chance you'll be doing the job again sooner then later.