Is Uconnect Nav worth the ridiculous cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

areelguy1950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big Horn 5.7
Hi Folks,

For Reference: I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 5.7L ZF8 8HP70 Quad Cab. I purchased it used 10/2017 with 12K miles.

I am inquiring about the NAV functionality and long term associated costs.

I, like I assume most RAM owners, received a $150 promotional discount email offer to upgrade to NAV capabilities. Although this could be more convenient than using my iPhone and maybe save me a future ticket for using my phone while driving, is it worth the ~$450 cost and update hassle?

Will there be additional costs for the NAV maps and is there a monthly subscription for the ongoing use?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No monthly sub fee after you pay for the code.

IIRC there is a seller on Ebay from Europe that offers much better pricing on the activation code (as well as a package of activation code + latest map update)

Other option is to find an RA4 unit, which comes from the factory with nav, then swap it out for your RA3 (pretty much a plug and play swap). This is the option I went with because I found a good deal on a 2017 RA4 unit. FWIW, I like the navigation feature a lot. All 3 of our vehicles have factory nav and the RAM is the best one by far (UI, graphics, features, speed, accuracy)

Do note, at this time there is an OTA software update being pushed to correct an issue with GPS/nav.....if you do not receive the update there is the potential your nav will stop working correctly on November 3. More details here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think a stand alone gps will fix your need..
I run the 8" rand mcnally tablet,$500 a pop but its an android tablet...

If you want a small deal grab a deszel brand 5"

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
A standalone GPS makes sense but frankly the built-in GPS is so convenient when you're out on the road and need a quick route. I activated my transplanted RA3 through the guy on eBay and it has been working well. The Yelp app even works enough with the 911 error eliminator to search for restaurants (or whatever) and then call up the route with the push of a button. Accuracy is decent and on a trip to a town north of Boston this past weekend both the Uconnect GPS and my phone Google maps wanted to route through the city. While I didn't know exactly where my destination was I did know it was after the tunnel and Tobin bridge so I ignored both until i got close. My point is that the built in GPS equaled the phone GPS at least on that trip.
Going through the eBay guy is much less expensive than other methods of activation.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I normally use Google maps and sometimes still do, but having nav built into the vehicle is especially convenient when you just want to get home. Press "Home" as your to destination and follow the directions.

They might not be the fastest, shortest or most convenient, but they WILL get you home and sometimes thats all that matters (think: wife driving and gets lost....press home and just drive)

sheets7777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a video on youtube saying there are differences in the software between the RA4 radio and yours. Not sure if it will make a difference to you but here it is . Sounds like some features are missing from the radios you pay to activate. Anyhow check it out may help.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Q. What is the difference between navigation on the 8.4A (RA3) and the 8.4AN (RA4) systems?

A. The 8.4AN (RA4) system has HD Radio, Sirius Traffic, Traffic Link, 3D Landmarks & City Models, Digital Terrain and One-Step Voice Destination Entry. The navigation activated 8.4A (RA3) does not have these features.

Are they worth it? Maybe, maybe not. I do like the Sirius traffic stuff, the 3D stuff I havent really seen yet (I think its mostly in cities, etc) and I have yet to use the one-step destination entry.

HD radio does sound clearer, and they offer sub channels as well, but again I dont use radio much either.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is a one time fee to activate the Nav (I did mine). There is no monthly subscription fee and there are NO free map updates. "If" they come out with an update it is usually another $150 to update the maps and they will mail them to you on a drive. I can tell you that they do not do updates often and they are behind so even the latest and greatest probably won't have any new roads that were build in the past year or two.

Honestly it was kind of a waste of money if you ask me. I did buy mine from an ebay seller a couple years ago and paid a lot less then what Ram wants.
Google maps on the phone is light years better and easier to use. It's currant and shows traffic etc. so that's what I use all the time.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The nicest thing I have found with the factory nav is I haven't lost nave signal or map on it when I have on my phone. Also the pop up on the cluster when to turn is nice
I use the factory nav to get me in the area and use the phone if something isn't looking right

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I agree with the maps being outdated. Especially newer roads in non-metro areas. It is handy though.

Might want to look at getting a ‘18 unit with Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Best of both worlds.

OtterOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't get the nav package but I do have apple play/ android play.

Luckily I was able to get on one of those free cell lines and free phone when I signed up, basically just a Waze plug in now lol.

Edit: imho - paying for GPS seems like an archaic option.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the maps being outdated. Especially newer roads in non-metro areas. It is handy though.

Might want to look at getting a ‘18 unit with Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Best of both worlds.

I have a late MY2017 RA4 in my truck, and the maps that came with it included a change that was made only a year ago on one of our major highways.

So, to me, its actually pretty up to date. Makes me wonder if the map updates you purchase are not the same as the ones that might come in the radio.

OP
OP
A

areelguy1950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big Horn 5.7
No monthly sub fee after you pay for the code.

IIRC there is a seller on Ebay from Europe that offers much better pricing on the activation code (as well as a package of activation code + latest map update)

Other option is to find an RA4 unit, which comes from the factory with nav, then swap it out for your RA3 (pretty much a plug and play swap). This is the option I went with because I found a good deal on a 2017 RA4 unit. FWIW, I like the navigation feature a lot. All 3 of our vehicles have factory nav and the RAM is the best one by far (UI, graphics, features, speed, accuracy)

Do note, at this time there is an OTA software update being pushed to correct an issue with GPS/nav.....if you do not receive the update there is the potential your nav will stop working correctly on November 3. More details here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

chrisbh17 ... I appreciate the info and details! I’ll definitely look for the eBay option. Randy

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Folks,

For Reference: I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 5.7L ZF8 8HP70 Quad Cab. I purchased it used 10/2017 with 12K miles.

I am inquiring about the NAV functionality and long term associated costs.

I, like I assume most RAM owners, received a $150 promotional discount email offer to upgrade to NAV capabilities. Although this could be more convenient than using my iPhone and maybe save me a future ticket for using my phone while driving, is it worth the ~$450 cost and update hassle?

Will there be additional costs for the NAV maps and is there a monthly subscription for the ongoing use?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

I have it in my 2016 Laramie it is a great asset when going to places never been. Never once had any problem with it. Their is no monthly cost for it ,only need to update it every 3 years I would say and you do that from Garmin web site directly.:banana-mario:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is a one time fee to activate the Nav (I did mine). There is no monthly subscription fee and there are NO free map updates. "If" they come out with an update it is usually another $150 to update the maps and they will mail them to you on a drive. I can tell you that they do not do updates often and they are behind so even the latest and greatest probably won't have any new roads that were build in the past year or two.

Honestly it was kind of a waste of money if you ask me. I did buy mine from an ebay seller a couple years ago and paid a lot less then what Ram wants.
Google maps on the phone is light years better and easier to use. It's currant and shows traffic etc. so that's what I use all the time.

I have the Nav in my Ram and the updates are really from Garmin you can get them from their web site. Only time your going to need a update if they change a lot of roads like ramps to highways. Mine sends me to a ramp to a highway that's not their anymore so I don't think aim updating my Nav because of that.

OP
OP
A

areelguy1950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big Horn 5.7

MidTennMtneer ... thanks for the info and recommendation. I’ve used CarPlay in rentals for work travel. Randy

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the Nav in my Ram and the updates are really from Garmin you can get them from their web site. Only time your going to need a update if they change a lot of roads like ramps to highways. Mine sends me to a ramp to a highway that's not their anymore so I don't think aim updating my Nav because of that.

They (Garmin) don't appear to sell the updates directly for my unit (2016 8.4)? It just re-directs you to the Chrysler uconnect site.

When you activate the Nav on the Ra3 it is unlocking the map that already exists on the radio from the factory. In my case a 2016 truck that probably has a 2014-2015 map on it so at a minimum I'm on a 4 year old map, probably older? Unfortunately there is no real way to tell since FCA does not release the version data nor tell you what the latest version is. They just say buy the "latest" version. You have no idea what you are getting or what year it was produced.

I know some areas of the country aren't building new roads but I know a lot that have changed a lot in the past 2 years. Dozens and dozens of new roads and neighborhoods every year so depending on where I am at my maps could be way out of date to the current roads.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might be able to contact the ebay seller that sells NAV activation, they also sell the latest map update so they might know what the most current version is.