Is Upgrading To Factory Navigation Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The steering wheel buttons will still work for the radio controls.
AAWireless is a wireless add on module available for AndroidAuto. I have one and it's works good with the UAQ I have installed in my truck. It's usually connected before I back out of the garage or parking spot.
Thanks, I'll have to play with AA more to see if it's worth spending anymore money on. The little I've used it so far, it was just obtrusive.

I just have my phone in the holder in the middle console while navigating with it. I can hear the directions fine, even with the stereo turned up a fair amount.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The "factory" navigation system, like the external systems, have their advantages and disadvantages. The UConnect system works for most stuff, until the passenger attempts to enter something while the vehicle is moving. The Google stuff tracks user movement more than some folks like.

The map data does not change much, so buying the updated map data every three years on sale is probably better than nothing; the "on sale" (cheaper/clearance) UConnect update is one version shy of the very latest and works for most.

As for Garmin's "lifetime" map updates, those are for current devices as defined by Garmin. My Garmin Oregon 750t lifetime updates have been discontinued.
We have lots of new roads going in where I live, so the map changes regularly around here. We got a new section of interstate finally completed and opened last week, for example. Got to use it yesterday. Sweet! Google Maps was fully aware of it already, and routed me that way.

You can turn off Google Maps storing or using your location info. I did. When I check what Google has for info on me, location info is blank. I also turn off Location unless I am specifically using it. Here's one article detailing how to stop them from storing that data on you. Read down past the section on how to turn off location on the phone:

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest gripe I have with the factory nav that pushes me to Google maps (has to upgrade the radio in my 15 Durango which idk if it was worth it yet for AA) is you can't say a place like "Navigate to the nearest Chick Fil A". Haven't figured out how to send my address to the head unit using the U connect app

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before my 2021 Ram Rebel, I had the newer an older generation Honda ridgeline that used Garmin. I also traveled a lot and used a Garman portable.
The Uconnect in the Ram is awful. Starting with just the display mixing dark reds and blacks making it very hard to glance at, to see what you want to see. And it’s like every fifth address, it has problems finding it, not to mention how many roads it shows me it’s 55 when it’s only 25 or when it’s 45 at saying 25. Little things like having to find an address select navigate to this address then having to click yes and then having a click go. No reason to add that last click.
And to rub it in, you’ll find documentation from the company that supplies it, that they’re the best in the world, no they’re not by any stretch of the imagination. I tried to find somewhere to send them something that needs to be corrected I had no luck. If it’s there they have it hidden they don’t seem like a company that really cares what the customer thinks. After all they said are the greatest in the world. It is the worst GPS I have used.
The only feature related I like is being able to send an address from my iPhone to the navigation from the house.
Unconnected is the BEST on the market period. Sync sucks and others are poor at best. Maybe if actually sat down to read about it you would be bette4 off.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unconnected is the BEST on the market period. Sync sucks and others are poor at best. Maybe if actually sat down to read about it you would be bette4 off.
And if yo7mvh3cked you will surprised to see what system Uconnect is made by!

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Navigation is worth it...one time fee for:
and IF you use remote stuff.... https://www.juneks.com/blog/is-uconnect-free-or-does-it-cost-money-to-use/

Paul Michaels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2018 Lone Star with the 8.4 inch. It did not come with NAV. I thought I would upgrade, but the cost was prohibited. When I connect my Android phone vis USB, I got instant NAV through Car Play on the screen. They only thing I wished it would've let me do is change the NAV app, as it only let you use Google maps. I like Waze myself, but beggars can't be choosey.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I guess I'm the only one who likes it. Bit harder to enter in where you're going than most and I usually verify against google or mapquest if I'm going on a long trip. Pretty spot on in established areas like major cities. I like the hands free and directions ahead of time on the instrument cluster and not needing cel service like on my phone.
I guess there’s two of us because I like the factory Nav. I have the 12” screen and it’s much easier to see than the screen on a little phone

Reactions: BWL

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
And if yo7mvh3cked you will surprised to see what system Uconnect is made by!

Enlighten us...

If you are referring to the OS, it's Android...
That means nothing.

'made by'?? what does that mean. It was written in Android Studio and Visual Studio Code.
Load it in Android emulator and/or any Android Disassembler. There are lots of them around.

None of that matters. It's Android application, and still sucks.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2018 Lone Star with the 8.4 inch. It did not come with NAV. I thought I would upgrade, but the cost was prohibited. When I connect my Android phone vis USB, I got instant NAV through Car Play on the screen. They only thing I wished it would've let me do is change the NAV app, as it only let you use Google maps. I like Waze myself, but beggars can't be choosey.
I think you mean Android Auto since you have an Android phone. Car Play is for apple phones.

I put a stereo (Pioneer NEX) in my last truck that allowed me to mirror my Android phone on the head unit. I could run any app, it was all just like using my smart phone. I wish that is how Android Auto worked instead of just allowing certain apps.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Pretty much all car manufacturers use NavTech map updates since they took over Garmin. NavTech only updates the radio firmware, maps, and Grace Notes every couple of years which is just not enough to keep pace with road and business changes that constantly take place. Hence, they are always inferior to updates by other GPS providers. The last updates I used on my UConnect I got from the Sox bulletin site and when I did, finally, pay the $130 to Chrysler for their latest updates, the system told me the information on the expensive CDs was older than the firmware and maps I already had on the UConnect head. I will never buy another set of update disks from Chrysler or NavTech again!!
This is incorrect. Yes most systems use navteq maps, or technically Here maps since navteq was bought by Nokia in 2008 and rebranding to the name here maps. The navteq logo is still used on many systems as old contracts under the navteq name still exist. Garmin was not taken over by navteq or here or anyone, they are there own company still, wholey owned. They did offer to sell to Google's parent company Alphabet, but the deal was never finalized and is rumored to still be in the works.
Also, navteq doesn't have anything to do with the radio firmware, that is handled by the radio manufacturers, such as Panasonic, in collaboration with FCA/Stellantis. Navteq only handles map software and updates.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
If you have Waze or any maps app download on your phone, you can select it as default maps in Android auto do it will load everytime you connect your phone. You can do the same with your music app, it can be Spotify or Amazon music or crytunes crap if you want

Mike_in_SC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2018 with a replacement radio .All the software is current but putting the radio in dealer mode showed an outdated map version
I ordered the current version which will be shipped on a memory stick.

The cost of the map update was $150.00 plus tax.
The next time I have Uconnect trouble I will buy an aftermarket system.
AZ, how did you get the radio in dealer mode? I’d like to take a look at mine and see what I’ve got..

DevilDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been getting those pesky emails (and snail mail) offers. I used it once going back to my old stomping grounds in Denver. I was driving from North Denver to Estes Park. Driven it many, many times. Simple, go up I-25, turn west on CO-66 (I believe). then just follow the road. Navigation directions had be driving through neighborhoods through a town along the way (Longmont). I literally mean through subdivisions. Added an extra 45 minutes to my drive.

Just sucks though. You want to have on-board features working as they should.

The update should come with a complete new build that works and stop charging for map updates.

cfrederick1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I just bought a 2017 Ram 3500 and it has an after-market bluetooth device. No instructions and dealer didn't know anything about it. Attaching 2 pictures, one is the button on the dash and the other the message I get as my phone will not pair. Message on the phone is that I need an app to make it work. Anyone know what app this device might use?

Attachments

• Button.jpg
    Button.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Message.jpg
    Message.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9