Issue with heated seats/wheel after 8.4 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Purchased a uConnect 8.4RA3 from oemautopartsco along with their custom bezel to upgrade from my 5.0RA2. Disconnected the battery and the install went smoothly. Powered everything up and the unit works flawlessly EXCEPT... the heated seats and heated wheel now do not stay on. Upon turning them on, the buttons only stay lit for 2-3 seconds then it turns itself off. This goes for the physical buttons on the panel and also in uConnect touchscreen. Pretty frustrating because everything else works flawlessly, though I guess I should be happy for that lol. BTW, truck is a 2013 Big Horn. The heated seats/wheel are factory installed.

So far all I have tried is disconnecting the battery for a couple hours to reset the computer again. Made no difference. Anyone have any ideas??

Attachments

• IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 120

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As stated above, and nice upgrade by the way. :)

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Is the radio brand new? What software version is on the radio currently?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I can think of could be is that your RA3 integrates with your heated seat controls. You might want to have the sales code upgraded from an RA2 to an RA3 and see if it helps. The trucks that come with the a RA3/RA4 radios have the comfort key that aslo controls the seats. Maybe your truck needs to see that it has an RA3. That's about the only thing I can think of. I don't think I have ever seen a truck with an RA2 with the heated seats and steering wheel. I bet your probably the first one with that combo to attempt this upgrade or we would have heard of it sooner. Good luck keep us posted.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The only thing I can think of could be is that your RA3 integrates with your heated seat controls. You might want to have the sales code upgraded from an RA2 to an RA3 and see if it helps. The trucks that come with the a RA3/RA4 radios have the comfort key that aslo controls the seats. Maybe your truck needs to see that it has an RA3. That's about the only thing I can think of. I don't think I have ever seen a truck with an RA2 with the heated seats and steering wheel. I bet your probably the first one with that combo to attempt this upgrade or we would have heard of it sooner. Good luck keep us posted.
His radio shows the Controls soft key. So it has to be seeing options on his truck. Don't know why they won't stay on though. If the radio isn't updated, that would be worth a try. Or maybe a factory reset.
Purchased a uConnect 8.4RA3 from oemautopartsco along with their custom bezel to upgrade from my 5.0RA2. Disconnected the battery and the install went smoothly. Powered everything up and the unit works flawlessly EXCEPT... the heated seats and heated wheel now do not stay on. Upon turning them on, the buttons only stay lit for 2-3 seconds then it turns itself off. This goes for the physical buttons on the panel and also in uConnect touchscreen. Pretty frustrating because everything else works flawlessly, though I guess I should be happy for that lol. BTW, truck is a 2013 Big Horn. The heated seats/wheel are factory installed.

So far all I have tried is disconnecting the battery for a couple hours to reset the computer again. Made no difference. Anyone have any ideas??

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
His radio shows the Controls soft key. So it has to be seeing options on his truck. Don't know why they won't stay on though. If the radio isn't updated, that would be worth a try. Or maybe a factory reset.

I couldn't see the screen on my phone but you are right seems the radio defenetly sees the seats if he has the comfort key. I wonder if he has tryed turning them on using the radio. I would still try the RA3 code if he can't figure it out.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Thanks for the responses. It is a brand new 8.4 and Im not sure of the software version. The guys at oemautopartsco say the stuff they sell is all upgraded to the latest software version currently out. They claim their radios are preprogammed to be plug n play. I was hoping I wouldnt have to go to the dealer with this problem but it might come to that cus I dont get it. Its strange because everything else works flawlessly. Radio, media, bluetooth, phone, climate controls etc. And the unit is detecting the heated seats/wheel in the controls menu, they just wont stay on. Its not like im pushing the buttons and nothing happens, it turns on then just turns off. Wtf

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Factory reset the radio first...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol don't feel bad I didn't notice the comfort controls. Do you think upgrading to the factory bezel would make any difference if the sales code didn't help? since it connects the climate controls and maybe other things and it's having a communication issue of some kind? Just an idea.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
It is probably because of the radio and not doing a factory install. Probably runs through a list of checks when the radio starts up and if it cant sense the hvac module it starts disabling stuff heating/cooling related

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's to bad he obviously didn't know he could use the factory 8.4 bezel with the adaptor harness for less than he payed for the O.E.M. auto bezel. He would have had full function of all his controls plus maybe the heated seats might work. Who knows? He also could have tryed a factory reset.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Depending on how long you've had your bezel, See if you can return it and do a oem swap, 80% sure it would solve your issues.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Right. I read you have to hold down two of the buttons I dont have for the factory reset. But I also read some peoples systems started acting weird after doing a reset. I have been in contact with the company I bought the unit from but so far nothings worked.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
It's to bad he obviously didn't know he could use the factory 8.4 bezel with the adaptor harness for less than he payed for the O.E.M. auto bezel. He would have had full function of all his controls plus maybe the heated seats might work. Who knows? He also could have tryed a factory reset.

Found the following oem part #s on mopar.com
1UJ96DX9AF - bezel with controls
68183973AB - control module

Im wondering tho if anyone sells adapter harnesses? Im a noob when it comes to building harnesses. Never done that.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L

Im wondering tho if anyone sells adapter harnesses? Im a noob when it comes to building harnesses. Never done that.

We do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Can anyone confirm if there is a difference between
68105017AE and 68105017AB?

Is part AE only for the 4 speed blower or are they just interchangable regardless of blower? Thanks guys. Big thanks to harnessconnection.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Keep in mind that this definetly is a much better way to go than the O.E.M auto bezel and you will have full control of all of your factory options,but this is not a guaranteed fix for you heated seats/steering wheel issue. Hopefuly it will fix the problem or at least give you more options but you are kinda in uncharted territory with this one. As I said I honestly have never seen anyone try an upgrade from a 5.0 that had the factory heated seats/steering wheel. Hopefuly it will be as simple as the bezel. If that doesn't do it you can add the sales code and with the new bezel also try a factory reset if you decide to go that way. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited: