Issues with AMP Research Power Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpatz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hi, Everyone
I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a 2021 2500 Diesel Laramie. Wife and I love it! Reason we went with the RAM is because I had a gasoline truck to tow my 5th wheel and only got 8.7 miles to the gallon. The main 2 reasons I went with the RAM is I prefer the 6 in line Cummins and the truck I had which I won't name the Brand had a issue with a warning message which stated to check the trailer wiring with annoying bell tones which became more and more annoying in the last 2 years when towing my 5th Wheel. I still believe that it was a problem with the wiring in the truck, when I took it to the dealer they found that there was a notice from the manufacturer that there were issues with aftermarket devices being added to the vehicle. They left it at that and did not bother to inspect the wiring. I tend not to believe that it was the devices but a wiring problem since I disconnected all the devices and it would not stop. I should have taken it to a mechanic to check the wiring, but like I said before it got lousy gas mileage and lacked the power to climb.

One of the devices I had plugged in was AMP Power Steps. Not knowing for sure that it could have caused the issue, I want to install them on my RAM. I know that Mopar offers them on their trucks now, it does not make since to me that they would offer them if they had issues with them. But I'm still paranoid about spending the cost for them and the possibility of the issue happening with RAM. I know that these are two different auto manufacturers. But I still would like to ask if any of you have had any issues like this with the AMPs?

Thanks in advance for any input.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I installed Aries power steps in my 2021 Big Horn CC with the Cummins. They have been in for 2+ months and I have had zero problems.
Install was easy, fishing the harness thru thru the truck had some challenges but was not bad.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds to me like your dealer was blaming a truck issue on the steps. I wouldn't worry about it, plenty of people running amp steps with no issues.

OP
OP
G

gpatz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You're correct mtnrider, the bulletin from the Manufacturer stated that they should have tried to duplicate the condition if the SI diagnostics did not identify the source. The problem is I did not take the truck in with the 5th Wheel connected to it. Since it only happened with the 5th Wheel connected there is no way they could duplicate the condition to find out if it was the devices or the wiring of the truck or 5th wheel. They assumed that it was the aftermarket devices. I kick myself because I didn't read the bulletin more closely at the time. I agree with you that I don't think the steps will be a problem, I just hope that there is not problem with the 5th Wheel wiring.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the AMP steps on my 2016 1500 with no issues. It’s true there is a TSB about plugging devices into the data port but I have had zero issues since 2017 when I installed them.

OP
OP
G

gpatz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
cms1528 how many miles on your 1500? What does TSB mean?

OP
OP
G

gpatz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
cms1528 forget I asked about TSB meaning.

OP
OP
G

gpatz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
cms1528 one other question, do you tow a trailer?