ITBM issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustDrifting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hate to start a day like this but I hope someone can add some guidance. I recently ordered a OEM style brake controller from Amazon and took to the dealer for the sales code to be added. The dealer called me and stated that they needed extra diag time to diagnose why the controller was not working. I have worked on cars for about 12 years in late 90's to 2010 and know the tricks of the trade about how aftermarket never works and need to pay the crazy dealership priced part and have them install it.

Now the installation was no breeze but all the wiring was there and besides the mounting bracket it went in easily, I told dealer to make sure the code was programmed and I will take of the rest. Once I got the truck home I began checking everything and then ordered a replacement part from amazon. Once that came in I installed the replacement and same issues still exist, I then ordered another one from a different seller with the same issues. I can not for the life of my think that all 3 are bad. These are the problems I am experiencing.

Once the sales code was added the trailer distance shows 182871.5 and my odometer shows 48K on it.
It also displays trailer brake not connected.

Again out of 3 modules all 3 can not be bad, I even checked every single fuse and relay associated with the system including the 7 pin connection in the back. The thing I noticed about the 7 pin is all lights are working and on the cover it reads a part number but has AB at the end and so far I have found that the AC has replaced the AB type.

If anyone has any suggestions or insight on this issue help would be appreciated thanks.

2018 Ram 1500 tradesman with 5.7

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I didnt have a lot of luck with oem IBC. Mine worked OK with some trailers, and others not all. I had no faults or warnings, it just didnt apply enough voltage to the brakes to work. The braking was so poor I went an aftermaket prodigy P3 controller. It took 5 minutes to plug into the existing harness, with the proper adapters. My trailer braking is 100% improved and reliable now. The voltage coming out of the OE controller was a pulsed DC, and it just plain didnt work on my current fifth wheel equipped with 8K axles, at all.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Explain "It also displays trailer brake not connected." If you squeeze the manual brake on the dash and that message appears the controller is talking on the internal bus but it does not detect trailer brakes. The controller measures resistance to ground on the brake output. If the resistance is high there are no brakes or the circuit is broken.
Did you actually hook up a trailer with known working brakes and test it ?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First, when it comes to ITBC, I would buy an actual OEM for the truck, NOT an aftermarket. I am not as well versed on the Ram ones (my truck came with one and it is wonderful, having used many aftermarket ones like the Prodigy I'd say the ITBC is superior to all of them because it activates the brakes based on applied braking from the truck, not dependent on a delayed reaction from the aftermarket one), but I know on Fords, you must make sure it is the correct part number for your truck - they all look the same but different part numbers are for earlier or later years, depending.

That said, if you didn't actually hook a trailer up or use a trailer simulator plugged into your 7-way, then you will get errors about trailer brake not connected and the like. If you have issues with your trailer wiring you will also get errors on your screen.