Its definitely monday....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Morning folks,
(07 3500 5.9/6-speed/4x4 long bed SRW)
So I'm on the way into work this morning, doing 65 on the highway, 6th gear, cruise set, octane on the radio....

Then out of nowhere, RPMs start climbing like crazy(not to redline but like im on the gas) but I'm not going anywhere, and the truck sounds like it's going to vibrate and beat itself to death. Hit the clutch, rpms drop like normal, trucks still beating its self up... I thought maybe one of the drive shafts let go... got pulled over, looked underneath and nothing is hanging or leaking. But there is a bunch of fluid on the Trans case seam.... nothing dripping though... ok... weird... so I drive around the parking lot... hit 10 to 15 mph... starts beating around again... I can go through my gears just fine, clutch still has pressure but then again it's hydraulic, motor is purring like a kitten... got back under the truck and checked the carrier bearing, it's still good and snug.... pic of the passenger side of the trans looking at the front of the truck.

Did the clutch and pressure plate let go? Am I looking at bigger issues? Please help!

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• 20220110_060042.jpg
    20220110_060042.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 13

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Rear main seal, or input shaft seal leaking? Sounds like you'll be splitting the drivetrain regardless... bummer!

es

OP
OP
MK82

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Ok, fair enough lol. Yeah I'm not excited about it. But it's one of those things I suppose. I just hope I'm not putting a Transmission in it

Matt

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If oil got in your clutch it’ll slip. Input shaft seal on trans or output shaft seal on engine. What kind of fluid did it feel like? Engine oil or heavy weight gear oil? If the engine will rev normal when clutch is pressed in and doesn’t start bucking until a certain speed it almost seems like slipping clutch And it’s jumping and catching

OP
OP
MK82

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Man I can't really tell to b honest, it kinda smells like gear oil... but I'm not 1000 % sure... there's not really enough there to get a good sample of to feel viscosity... like I said there're no drips. I took a pic of the top of the Trans at the bell housing... well best I could. Would that explain the vibrations and beating around sounds?... I guess if there was enough play in that shaft it would allow it to beat around... ok fair enough...

Matt

Attachments

• 20220110_082142.jpg
    20220110_082142.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
MK82

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
So the shop said the double U-joint at the transferase was completely destroyed. I didn't notice any play in there when I went underneath it but I also don't have any experience with U-joints. I trust this mechanic, I've known him for quite some time and he is very honest and up front with everything. He also told me my front wheel U-joints don't have much longer either. *whomp* I told him to check everything out again once the new D.U. is installed and make sure nothing is going crazy with the transmission, clutch, etc. so we shall see.

OP
OP
MK82

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Ok so apparently the double U-joint is no longer made. When the actual u-joints went today it cracked the housing they are in. So I might be in it for a new front drive shaft assembly. Any ideas on who makes a good one? Or is this going to be a custom job at this point. I would imagine a new front drive shaft for a 07 with a manual is going to be hard to find.... and from what I understand the auto ones won't fit... due to detentions....

OP
OP
MK82

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
So here is the culprit... I know it's been a week. The double cardon ball joint broke after the U-joints went bad. I ended up taking the drive shaft to a drive shaft place to get it basically rebuilt since they dont make them anymore.

(I'd like to correct my previous post, the double Cardon joint is still made, the front driveshaft is discontinued. That was my misunderstanding)

The double cardon joint is welded to the front driveshaft so they had to cut it off and replace it. They are replacing the front diff U-joint as well and then balancing everything, I'll pick it up Friday. Just wanted to show yall what happened. Thank you to everyone that responded. 20220114_081614.jpg