Jolt when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KDCDR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 Ram has a hard jolt when coming to a stop. This happened 2 weeks after I purchased the vehicle. I took it in for service and they informed me it was a software update needed for the transmission. After 3 weeks of repairs/waiting I li Jed up my Ram for it to do the same jolt. When I slam on my bRakes it won’t jolt, if I come to a slow stop it will jolt then and when I accelerate from a stop. I took it back to the dealer and they said it needed a valve body. After a month it li led it up and it started jolting again. I was informed it would smooth out over time. After 10 months they say I needed a transmission. Put in a new transmission and it still jolts. Now they say they can’t pinpoint the issue and it will need to get worse to pinpoint it. After four trips to the dealer and $7200 later I’m still stuck with the very issue I initially took it in for. Any thoughts on this since a certified dealer can’t locate a Chrysler certified issue??

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My 2018 Ram has a hard jolt when coming to a stop. This happened 2 weeks after I purchased the vehicle. I took it in for service and they informed me it was a software update needed for the transmission. After 3 weeks of repairs/waiting I li Jed up my Ram for it to do the same jolt. When I slam on my bRakes it won’t jolt, if I come to a slow stop it will jolt then and when I accelerate from a stop. I took it back to the dealer and they said it needed a valve body. After a month it li led it up and it started jolting again. I was informed it would smooth out over time. After 10 months they say I needed a transmission. Put in a new transmission and it still jolts. Now they say they can’t pinpoint the issue and it will need to get worse to pinpoint it. After four trips to the dealer and $7200 later I’m still stuck with the very issue I initially took it in for. Any thoughts on this since a certified dealer can’t locate a Chrysler certified issue??
If it has a 2 piece drive shaft,check the splines over at the center bearing. Some guys have found where the driveshaft slides on the splines to be an issue,and have cured the thump issue by seperating the driveshaft and cleaning any rust/corrosion off the splines with a wire brush,then lubing the splines with a good quality synthetic grease,and sliding the driveshaft back together.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lose engine mount? If it was an old Chevy, that would be my birdbrain thought. Just throwing it out there. Driveshaft may be a good lead, there were some issues with the 2 part shafts. Not sure wat U have in yer 2018, but that is 4th Gen, I have a 5th Gen, (1) continuous shaft.

OP
OP
K

KDCDR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for chiming in on this, I do like my truck, however, need a fix to this ongoing problem. I’m definitely going to provide this information to the dealer and hope they would take the time to find a fix to this issue. I appreciate you al!

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You got screwed out of the $$ for a new transmission, sorry to say.

What your talking about is normal for the 8 speed, tons of posts on here about it.

Basically if you come to a slow stop the jolt you feel is the truck down shifting, it will be worse when cold. On a hard stop you won't feel it as the truck is stopping so quick its not trying to downshift the same way.

You can test my theory by putting the truck in manual mode (use the +&- button on the wheel) and put it "8", then watch the gear changes in the cluster when you stop, you should notice the gear change with said jolt.

It will come and go and yes over time it will get better as the truck learns your driving style. Mine does it here and there but it has gotten much better over time. Its also more noticable if you do rolling stops vs a full stop.

OP
OP
K

KDCDR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like I got screwed, they even told me the transmission fluid was burnt so that’s why they had to go all the transmission work. I will test that theory and see what comes up. Thanks