Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Joshua Tree National Park RV advice?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by tap4154, Nov 11, 2019.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 V6
    Interestingly, I was born about an hour from JT and now live just a couple hours from it, but haven't visited it since I was a kid (a long time ago). Have the RV in shape now and want to do a few mid-week trips with my telescope in the next few months, probably solo, but have family not far from there that I'd like to invite to come by as well, if they wish.

Been searching campgrounds, and see that some free BLM land might be adequate for what I intend (outside the park). It seems the in-park campgrounds are first-come, no resos, so is the typical routine to just cruise the park looking for a spot, then use BLM land if none can be found? Also if anyone has recommendations for campgrounds inside the park for a 28' class C (it seems that some cater to tents and van conversions etc). I would enjoy doing some light loop hiking as well. Won't be taking a toad for now, so it would be ideal to camp inside where I can explore on foot, the stargaze at night!

2. MADDOG

MADDOG Cummins Driver Staff Member Super Moderator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Boondocking on BLM land is free.

Google Map green areas designate BLM/National lands.

I've found that doing a bit of homework on the specific BLM area is a good thing to do.

Visit the BLM website and look up the lands you would like to camp on.​

Look up rules and regulations for the area you plan to visit.​

Talk to a ranger. Call or stop by the local National Forest or BLM office. These folks are full of useful information and are usually happy to share advice. Get firsthand tips on where to go and what to avoid. ​

I have no specific experience with the park.