Jscan - better than AlfaOBD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. This is interesting. The backstory is that I found an auto repair shop to install the mirrors, modules, and bezel but they didn't have the means to do the programming.

One of their mechanics lives next door to a mechanic that works for a dealership and he said he was willing to do it for us (on his own and not through the dealership). After his first attempt he came back and told us there was no sales code for the mirrors and my VIN trim package but he said he contacted CHY and they were willing to write a new code for us.

After not hearing from him for two weeks we called and he said he couldn't do it.

I'm speculating that as he was using the dealership hardware and laptop that they perhaps they intervened and told him they didn't want him helping us out of liability if something went wrong.

The info you posted about charging for the sales codes has me thinking that may have been the real reason.

At the point I'm at now facing so many roadblocks, I'd be happy to pay for the sales codes and labor to do the programming.

I do have another possible dealership that might be sympathetic to my cause but the person I was told to contact is on vacation until next week.

Thank you so much for posting that information.
Happy to help! FYI, the only reason they charge for sales codes is for an hour of labor or half hour if they do that.

I am not exactly sure how the process works but they do update your VIN in their database when they write sales codes. And from what I have heard, the dealer tool they use is called a wiTECH. Supposedly they only are allowed to request so many changes for their whole dealership over a given time period.

Makes sense if that's true, explains why they can't just do you a favor real quick.

If you want to try a dealership show them those sales codes I posted and see if they will add one.

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
Supposedly they only are allowed to request so many changes for their whole dealership over a given time period.

Makes sense if that's true, explains why they can't just do you a favor real quick.

If you want to try a dealership show them those sales codes I posted and see if they will add one.
Oh. If they're limited to the number of sales code requests then that could also explain why the guy bailed on us. His dealership probably didn't want to use up a request on someone (me) who wasn't an actual customer.

When I reach out to the other dealership next week I will take a copy of those sales codes with me.

Thanks again.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
What's changed here is on later Ram's and even Jeep's is that the sales codes are not even selectable at the dealerships for techs to flash them in. I have heard of GM's reaching out to there local DM's to have them added but this is a long shot.

-Benny

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's changed here is on later Ram's and even Jeep's is that the sales codes are not even selectable at the dealerships for techs to flash them in. I have heard of GM's reaching out to there local DM's to have them added but this is a long shot.

-Benny
Oh wow really? So might be possible that your customer's VIN never even offered powered mirrors and they can't add it? That is BS since we all know 4th gens can do it. I know classics can tend to be a bit weird these days though. Two of my friends that drive classics have some odd stuff. One is 2wd with a rebel front end and wheels. Quad cab and dual exhaust with no sliding rear glass but has a Hemi. My other buddy has one that basically looks like my bighorn but has painted bumpers and tow mirrors and it is not a black out package or whatever it's called. Both covid era trucks and both strangely optioned.

Think your customer is going to have to go Alfa.

Last edited:

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V

-Benny
Gotcha.

Won't hurt to ask the dealer next week if only to get confirmation.

If "OBDLink MX+ / AlfaOBD / M2 Mods bypass" ends up being the only (and best) path forward then that is what I'll pursue.

Will keep you (and others) in the loop via this forum as I press forward.

Thanks.

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
Oh wow really? So might be possible that your customer's VIN never even offered powered mirrors and they can't add it? That is BS since we all know 4th gens can do it.
Yeah, that is what kind of got me started down this path in the first place.

I did a web search for 2023 1500 Classic Warlocks and found a couple that did have factory power folding mirrors so I thought (mistakenly) that it was at least plausible to upgrade my Warlock.

Bummer.

Here is one.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I did a web search for 2023 1500 Classic Warlocks and found a couple that did have factory power folding mirrors so I thought (mistakenly) that it was at least plausible to upgrade my Warlock.

Bummer.

Here is one.
In your case, I still think I would try to go the dealership route the legit way and see what happens. If they say not possible, then time to go alfa obd. Which of course we can help you out with. That will for sure get it done.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All

Bummer.

Here is one.

I am confident that it can be done via Alfa OBD but not so much by the dealer at this time.

- Benny

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
@AllMoparParts.com

@G-Ride990

@Mpgrimm2

Talked to the dealership thru my contact and informed the service manager about the issue. Left him with a printout of the part #'s and my VIN.

Said it would take him a day or two to research what was possible. Briefly mentioned the sales codes but what I took away from the conversation was that he didn't immediately dismiss doing the programming due to any restrictions or limitations imposed on the dealerships by Chrysler.

If that was the case as has been discussed here, I think he would have mentioned it. FWIW, He said if it's doable they would accommodate me.

Fingers crossed.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@AllMoparParts.com

@G-Ride990

@Mpgrimm2

Talked to the dealership thru my contact and informed the service manager about the issue. Left him with a printout of the part #'s and my VIN.

Said it would take him a day or two to research what was possible. Briefly mentioned the sales codes but what I took away from the conversation was that he didn't immediately dismiss doing the programming due to any restrictions or limitations imposed on the dealerships by Chrysler.

If that was the case as has been discussed here, I think he would have mentioned it. FWIW, He said if it's doable they would accommodate me.

Fingers crossed.
Let us know! Crossing my fingers for you too.

One way or another it's getting done though!

Tony15068

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 24V
@AllMoparParts.com

@G-Ride990

@Mpgrimm2

Got a call from the service manager today. I have an appointment 11/14/23 @ 8am. :)

Only caveat is he said he couldn't guarantee it would work. He didn't explain why but I didn't want to press him (didn't want to wear out my welcome so to speak).

If it doesn't work out I'll have an opportunity to have him explain why and then I suppose it's on to plan B with a bypass cable and OBDLink MX+.