Just a regular Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackTuskOffRoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought my first truck!

My first car was a 1989 classic mini I bought when I was 17 (which I still own)
jZel7dX.jpg

Then bought a 2014 Focus ST as my first new car, then traded for a Fiesta ST in 2015. Going from 40 hp to 200+ was like discovering warp speed.

A couple years ago a couple friends and I started a company restoring classic minis (Singer style mid-engine swap in the works, to be launched later this year). Things were beginning to get too big to haul in a hatchback...

Went on a roadtrip with those same buddies to Moab in their Jeep JK and Dakota, right away I knew I wanted a truck to go camping and off-roading in.

A used 2014 1500 5.7 Hemi Regular cab came up two weeks ago (my preferred body style) with only 60,000~ KMs on the ODO, with Bils already in the front and spacers in the back. Very clean and already pre-dented and pre-ding'd, which was perfect. The roll-up windows and manual locks are just icing on the cake.

Grabbed it on a Thursday...
V5Jlu9m.jpg

Up in the mountains on Friday
pEGPEnP.jpg

I'm very new to the truck world and will have lots of questions, so please bear with me.

To do list:
- bought a Diablosport i2 on here, coming in the mail
- wider wheels and go up to 35x12.50R17 (can I fit 37s?)
- UCA and 2 inch spacer to level it back up to match the lifted rear.
- some kind of locking diff in the back, still to be decided.
- custom skid plates. Measurements made and designs sent to waterjet. 1/4" 5052 aluminum
- build rock sliders (materials ordered)
- build faux dual exhausts with an H pipe. ordered two 3" flowmaster flowfx (the kind that looks like a tube), hopefully it'll sound more like a muscle car
- build an aluminum canopy (roughed out the design in 3D, just need to engineer it to work before waterjetting the pieces. the whole thing will open like a hatchback so I can fit tall things in it if I need to, also could use as a tall tent with canvas siding)
- build high clearance front and rear bumpers

Lots to build, but eager to get into it. If the pieces work well on the trail, I'd love to offer them up for sale, either as u-weld kits or as bolt-on's.
3aDIzTH.jpg

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to the Forum, congrats on the truck. Love the Mini too, you could probably put it in the bed. :happy175:

OP
OP
BlackTuskOffRoad

BlackTuskOffRoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Forum, congrats on the truck. Love the Mini too, you could probably put it in the bed. :happy175:
this will happen, lol I will try it one day, maybe when it's time to restore the shell; which is only under 500lbs

Welcome!

Gorgeous truck!

Of course I'm a little prejudiced since she's a twin of mine!

Love the mountains, welcome!!!

Thanks everyone! Loving the truck so far, there's a feeling to the RAM that I can't put my finger on just yet but there is definitely a character to them.

Cheap mod: de-badged
YYbGc9A.jpg

Next up, de-chrome the bumpers with Würth black trim and bumper coating spray paint (best paint ever, super consistent, smells great, looks OEM, doesn't chip on chrome and literally dries in 8 minutes)

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great looking truck, [emoji1303] on the standard cab...big jump from the mini [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
BlackTuskOffRoad

BlackTuskOffRoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So much sexier debadged.

Also, I am loving your pics. You have a serious talent for photography.
Thanks! I usually do portraits/headshots for actors/models shot on 35mm film

Great looking truck, [emoji1303] on the standard cab...big jump from the mini [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
9BlW200.jpg
lol I literally do a big jump into the truck everyday

Okay update time! Skid plate is back from waterjet and fits perfect first try... well almost. Need to adjust spacing of the front holes, but other than that, pretty happy with fitment. Once the bolts are tightened, the fit is tight without any rattles.

BdyiLMz.jpg
1JK1h9H.jpg
bNsi1hv.jpg
mtFvZ4R.jpg
CdMPYmS.jpg
5YNILzy.jpg
Z5nRPEj.jpg

1/4" 50 series aluminum, weighing in at 22lbs
Protects the power steering computer which actually is quite exposed.
open to any suggestions to make this better. I will look for bigger washers, the middle bolts uses big seat belt washers on the inside.

Last edited:

Scat Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep the updates coming! We need more RCSB builds on here!

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like it, and as others have said, keep up with the pictures.

OP
OP
BlackTuskOffRoad

BlackTuskOffRoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How time flies! A couple more months and it'll be a year of owning the truck.
0ZgRdeQ.jpg
qQJCRHt.jpg
Zone 6" lift with Fox coilovers and shocks.
Picture above was the 3" coils plus 2" spacers but I've since taken them out and it's now level with the front.
Installed Mevotech UCAs as well with adjustable balljoints.
17x9.5 Black Rhino Arsenal, 1.5" wheel spacers, on 37x12.5 BFG TA KO2s. I've since remounted the tires so the white letters faced inward.
This was a big install, took much longer than expected; but really enjoying the ride.

Next thing on the list is to fix the fuel sensor which threw a CEL light. Other than that, no problems with the truck what so ever.