Just bought 2004 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stickpony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

I just bought a high miles ( 280,000 )work truck, a 2004 Ram 2500 w/ the Hemi 5.7 engine.

The engine and transmission were replaced at some point so they run smooth as silk, but the suspension could probably use a freshening up

There’s a fair amount of squeaky when I go through parking lots at slow speed and over speed bumps, and there is also a popping/knocking sound coming from the front drivers side area when I am navigating turns into parking spaces, turning hard in one direction and then in the opposite direction, and also sometimes when going over speed bumps.

I guess my question is this: what are the main areas of wear that I should replace that are recommended on high miles 2500’s, and what might the ‘popping’ sound be on the front drivers side that is most noticeable going over bumps and navigating parking lots?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Lol, that’s like asking a fat guy what he likes to eat haha.

Seriously though, check ball joints, bushings, tie rods, steering damper, control arms, wheel bearings, etc, etc. there’s a lot that could be wrong/warn out. If it hasn’t been touched with some tlc in a while, then a refresh would be in order but that can get very pricey very fast. Start small, replace your way up, till you’re satisfied.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Something about all these car companies they are too cheap to put grease fittings on nothing.They all have this magic number and the whole front end goes to put.If you gonna do the front end do it right shocks upper and lower a arm ball joints I had to replace everything .The truck had 117 thousand miles on it two years before that replaced the ball joints on 03 Dakota that was a pain.I had a 92 Dakota and it had grease fittings and the 03 didn't .

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For everything you replace try to get parts that are serviceable.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
If you’re gonna do the front end do it right shocks upper and lower a arm ball joints I had to replace everything .

Did the exact same thing on my 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi. Replaced UCAs, LCA, tie rods, ball joints, etc...Went through 3 sets of Gabriel Max Control shocks before finally switching to Bilsteins, best ride has been on the Bilsteins - so much smoother.

Got a really good deal on an aftermarket suspension kit and saved a bunch on labor by paying a mechanic $250 to replace everything one weekend.

OP
OP
S

stickpony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the exact same thing on my 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi. Replaced UCAs, LCA, tie rods, ball joints, etc...Went through 3 sets of Gabriel Max Control shocks before finally switching to Bilsteins, best ride has been on the Bilsteins - so much smoother.

Got a really good deal on an aftermarket suspension kit and saved a bunch on labor by paying a mechanic $250 to replace everything one weekend.

Did you replace the front coil springs as well? I figured while I was In there I would replace those as well, but I can’t seem to find any OEM spec coil springs , not even on Rock Auto, everything available has 2-4inches of lift.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Did you replace the front coil springs as well? I figured while I was In there I would replace those as well, but I can’t seem to find any OEM spec coil springs , not even on Rock Auto, everything available has 2-4inches of lift.

No, I kept the original coils.

OP
OP
S

stickpony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Were they 4600 series or 5100 series bilsteins? And by smoother, do you mean less harsh? I’m looking to get into shocks that reduce the harshness of the ride, but aren’t too soft that they hinder performance..

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Were they 4600 series or 5100 series bilsteins? And by smoother, do you mean less harsh? I’m looking to get into shocks that reduce the harshness of the ride, but aren’t too soft that they hinder performance..

They were 4600s since my vehicle is 2WD. Smoothed out the ride by reducing the harshness of the ride considerably. New shocks, front end and tires all made an amazing difference on my 2500s ride. It will never be as smooth as a 1500 but that’s to be expected for HD vehicles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye