just bought 2019 , need oil strategy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2019 with about 8ok mi. I am wanting a synthetic oil strategy. The vehicle is one owner, seems to have been used mostly for a traveling related job. Put consistent mileage each month. Timer suggests average speed of about 40MPH. and idle hours less than 100. That is about 4%. Truck is a bit noisy on startup but quiets down after a minute or two. So obviously there is no residual lubrication effect for a cold engine. Now over 80ks mileage, should I be going to 5w30? or using something , like additive , that can bond to surfaces.(moly?)

I have read all sorts of things about quieting tick, however, I just want good cold start protection plus more assured protection for lifters as we are getting up there in mileage. Should I be using something that should clean the lifters, Or perhaps a high mileage oil. I noted that noted that many people in the forum use the RP 820 larger filter but not RP oil. I was looking at high mileage oils and I like how RP sounded. they do mention added zinc and phosphorus also. I would like to use lube guard as well for the moly. But I know a lot of oils have moly in it. Am I ready for redline without tick? as a preventative? I think amsoil is probably a really good oil. But do not think it has the detergents and solvents that I would like to use to make sure lifters are properly clean before addressing good lubrication moving forward. I do not hear too many people using additives, a couple like seafoam. and I have seen some use MMO. I havent use that in more than 40 years, and not sure if that is the additive to use here on these trucks.

So my thoughts of now are using RP high mileage for its cleaning, and adding lube guard for its moly and cold start protection. Or using penzoil ultimate high mileage which already seems to have a lot of added moly? doesnt seem to do any zinc.

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will guess that by the end of today, you will have 10 responses on here, and you will have 10 different answers to your questions. I know conventional thinking is that 80k miles is high mileage, but that's less so today, it was not a Hemi truck, but my last car went 175K miles and still ran fine when I traded it in for a Rebel. On that 175K miles I ran Royal Purple and it was great, clean good oil. I am running that in the Hemi now, but as its still new I only have 5k miles on it. personally I think trying to put addatives in every oil change is to much, I would rather see more frequent oil changes, I think that in the long run is better, these things run super hot on purpose these days so keeping the oil fresh is needed. Zinc is not bad for new motors by any means, but it was more required for older engines with flat tappet lifters, the more modern roller lifter is less requiring. And all oils unless it specifically states it on the label as "non-detergent" has detergents in them. FWIW

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a custom Tune with MDS delete, and Increase idle RPM to 750 . if you want your truck to last.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2019 with about 8ok mi. I am wanting a synthetic oil strategy. The vehicle is one owner, seems to have been used mostly for a traveling related job. Put consistent mileage each month. Timer suggests average speed of about 40MPH. and idle hours less than 100. That is about 4%. Truck is a bit noisy on startup but quiets down after a minute or two. So obviously there is no residual lubrication effect for a cold engine. Now over 80ks mileage, should I be going to 5w30? or using something , like additive , that can bond to surfaces.(moly?)

I have read all sorts of things about quieting tick, however, I just want good cold start protection plus more assured protection for lifters as we are getting up there in mileage. Should I be using something that should clean the lifters, Or perhaps a high mileage oil. I noted that noted that many people in the forum use the RP 820 larger filter but not RP oil. I was looking at high mileage oils and I like how RP sounded. they do mention added zinc and phosphorus also. I would like to use lube guard as well for the moly. But I know a lot of oils have moly in it. Am I ready for redline without tick? as a preventative? I think amsoil is probably a really good oil. But do not think it has the detergents and solvents that I would like to use to make sure lifters are properly clean before addressing good lubrication moving forward. I do not hear too many people using additives, a couple like seafoam. and I have seen some use MMO. I havent use that in more than 40 years, and not sure if that is the additive to use here on these trucks.

So my thoughts of now are using RP high mileage for its cleaning, and adding lube guard for its moly and cold start protection. Or using penzoil ultimate high mileage which already seems to have a lot of added moly? doesnt seem to do any zinc.

If you already know about the RP 20-820 oil filter and RL oil, then you already know what your strategy should be IMHO.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought My 2019 classic in October and immediately changed to valvoline 5w20 because the dealer used conventional oil. For 500 miles I had a lifter rattle on warm startup. So I switched to royal purple 5w30 and nothing changed. After 3500 miles I went to pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20 and all has been quite and the engine runs smoother that valvoline or royal purple. But that’s my truck….yours might very well be different. Who knows?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
@kayjo Are you sure the noise at startup isn't broken exhaust manifold bolts? If you can wiggle any of the tin work on the manifolds, you've probably got broken bolts which is super common.

If that's not the case, I'd want to cut open an examine the oil filters off the truck for any metal glitter. Not sure if you'll see it if you have failing lifters eating into the cam, but you might.

I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi used in 2020 w/15K miles on it. It was a previously farted in rental. Currently at ~49K miles. I use inexpensive synthetic 5w30 (as opposed to 5w20), inexpensive filters and I've been adding a bottle of either MoS2 or lubegard biotech each oil change until my supply of those is gone.

So far, only two times since I owned the truck have I heard loud lifter tick for ~2sec on startup and it was after I started and ran the truck just long enough to move it. The very next startup exhibited the ~2sec loud tick.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust bolts are fine so far. Definitely a short lifter tic only for two seconds on warm start. Nothing since pennzoil

OP
OP
K

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't say I have a hemi tick. If I do , its very mild. I do not hear anything I or most people would describe as unusual engine noise. I can hear some small lifter noise, but I have heard that in brand new trucks as well. It my just be normal lifter noise. Engines are not dead silent. I have heard trucks that have knocks and obvious lifter issues. All cars make a bit more noise when cold than hot. maybe its just the way it is. But I would think the reason you are hearing this is simply nothing more than lack of lubrication. and very cold metal. Things definitely flow better when warm. I am targeting cold start-up. And thinking about not knowing what oil the previous owner used, conventional oil? miles between changes? weight of oil ? So, I wanted to cover my bases.

Zogg, thanks for your input on RP. Though, I am looking at using HMX. which has a lot of zinc. So, I don't think I would consider the regular RP, there are better oils out there. So, I think I will use the HMX for about 500-1000 miles let it do some conditioning, and cleaning, and then change out for penzoil ultimate and some bio lubeguard.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 16, start up noise is exclusively due to the oil filter - royal purple or Napa Platinum filters stop it. OEM filter will tick after as little as 500 miles on my truck.
It really doesn't care about the oil - though it was louder using quaker state synthetic vs. any other oil.

OP
OP
K

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Montana,

I agree, if I had a new truck or truck that I thought had obvious issues , id use redline. I am thinking though, some of the lifter problems are due to burned oil deposits in the hydraulic lifters. Maybe there should be something more aggressively done to clean them if we do not know about their history.

But one thing regarding redline, and biotech lube. Should we being using them together? I mean the purpose and function of both is about high moly. I hear you can over moly. so, I thought that more either or rather than both.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Montana,

I agree, if I had a new truck or truck that I thought had obvious issues , id use redline. I am thinking though, some of the lifter problems are due to burned oil deposits in the hydraulic lifters. Maybe there should be something more aggressively done to clean them if we do not know about their history.

But one thing regarding redline, and biotech lube. Should we being using them together? I mean the purpose and function of both is about high moly. I hear you can over moly. so, I thought that more either or rather than both.
Yeah, I asked Burla the same question, and he reminded me that RL has adequate moly, so Lubegard wouldn't be necessary. Good thing you brought that up.

OP
OP
K

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I think there is pretty much a clear consensus here. Most important with any oil strategy is frequency, as most oils have detergents and conditioners. Though, it may be advisable to be a bit more aggressive with high mileage oil if the truck was purchased used or has mileage getting up there to make sure we are cleaning any deposits and sticky lifters. I think this goes along with the idea of changing oils frequently initially after purchasing a previously owned truck.

Moly=good But no reason to use both biotech lubeguard and RL. chose one or the other. As for oil brand of course there are some great oils out there RL, amsoil, schaefers ( probably in that order ) and then penzoil ultimate seems to be pretty well accepted. Then mobile 1 , and then probably a lot of others following those.

Correction [ I keep referencing penzoil ultimate - meant to read " ultra " platinum]

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed….oil change frequency is more important than the brand or weight of the oil. The owners manual says not to go over 10,000 miles between changes. When I read that I assumed that they want to sell replace engines. It may be overkill but at 3,500 miles I start looking for a warm day to git ‘r done.

HarryHL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AmsOil! I drive a Ram 1500, and the “Major” reason I’ve moved to AMSOil is they are one oil producer that has stepped up to the plate and said they can fully meet or exceed Mopar’s Specifications for the engine, front and rear differentials, the Borg Warner 44-45 Transfer Case and the 8HP70 8 Speed Transmission.

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I must be missing something here about the filter! Royal Purple website shows a 10-48 being the right filter for the 5.7. So, what is the deal with the 20-820? And when I go to Amazon, and put in RP 20-820, it says it does not fit the 5.7.
Thanks...

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I must be missing something here about the filter! Royal Purple website shows a 10-48 being the right filter for the 5.7. So, what is the deal with the 20-820? And when I go to Amazon, and put in RP 20-820, it says it does not fit the 5.7.
Thanks...
It is a bigger filter, therefore it shows that it doesn't fit. It does fit. Many have used it. Myself included. I have one on my 6.4, and have one on my wife's durango with the 5.7...fits just fine on both.

Magnum Valiant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So my thoughts of now are u in