Just bought my first Ram... now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makrop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hey guys, first post here. I just bought my first truck in general earlier this week. I'm excited to not have to rely on friends/family any more for "truck stuff". This will not be my primary vehicle so won't be getting a ton of miles. Its a 1996 1500 with the 5.2 SLT Lariat with 183k on clock. Sorry if that description order makes no sense. Like I said, new to RAM game (and trucks in general) I just know it has those packages. Mechanically it seems to be in great shape. I do know it needs a valve cover gasket and a front-passenger side shock, and lots of love cosmetically, but wondering if there are any maintenance items you all would tackle after those? I'm planning on doing an oil change and at least looking at the spark plugs since that's where the oil is dripping down into it seems.

Cosmetically, I'm planning on re-doing the headliner at a minimum. It also seems to be missing the fog lights, and the tailgate handle is either broken, or the PO slapped a generic one on. Right now you have to lift the handle while reaching in the hole and squeeze together the levers to release.

I've already downloaded the service manual I found on here, and looking forward to learning a lot more. I'm excited to have a car to be able to work on again. I've driven nothing but under-warranty, newer coupes in the past 8 years or so.

Thanks!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Find the plenum gasket sticky in i think the tech or engine section. Basically the intake manifold is 2 pieces, a beer barrel and a bottom plate. The gasket between the 2 is pretty much guaranteed to blow. When you check your plugs, oil fouling on cylinder 8 is about the best indication you can get.

There's various ways and opinions on repairing it, you'll likely see both on here.

Also, assuming its an automatic, transmission service is a biggy. Don't listen to the "if it's never been done, don't do it" mantra. It needs done, period. Some guys worry that removing the old fluid and putting in new can reveal a problem that causes it to stop working and that's entirely possible. Often these have never been serviced and the ground off clutch material in the fluid is the only thing holding it together. However, if that's the case it's only a matter of WHEN it fails and I myself would rather it fail in my driveway than i would 2hrs from home. The procedure is rather simple though rather messy. And though the horror stories above exist much more often it shifts better and firmer with new ATF+4 and a band adjustment.

Congrats on your buy

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
1 quick thing, cap and rotor arent the easiest things in the world to get to, during the intake gasket change is the perfect time to think about them

Reactions: Mop

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter... Take care of the obvious leaks and just maybe trans, not hard to do: Drop pan, drain, change filter (get someone who knows how to adjust bands), refill and see.... U just never know on a trans with that many miles if not at least serviced (fluid/filter screen) (oh new gasket for that pan also).. But w/o seeing, hearing, really hard to know. All the cosmetic stuff just as U go... (and check oil pan gasket, if been sitting, they are either loose and/or leak, need replacement, new oil plug gasket for plug too)...

318willrun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's not a regular driver, and not going to see a lot of miles, I'd change oil, make sure the front end (tie rod ends, etc) are safe, and drive it.

I've had a few magnums over 200k miles and purr like kittens. In fact, 4 years ago I bought a '01 2500 with a 5.9 and it now is about ready to turn over to 254,*** miles and it's my daily driver. No real maintenance issues whatsoever. In the summer it gets about 18 mpg.

You ask "what to do next?" I say drive it :)

OP
OP
M

makrop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Find the plenum gasket sticky in i think the tech or engine section. Basically the intake manifold is 2 pieces, a beer barrel and a bottom plate. The gasket between the 2 is pretty much guaranteed to blow. When you check your plugs, oil fouling on cylinder 8 is about the best indication you can get.

There's various ways and opinions on repairing it, you'll likely see both on here.

Also, assuming its an automatic, transmission service is a biggy. Don't listen to the "if it's never been done, don't do it" mantra. It needs done, period. Some guys worry that removing the old fluid and putting in new can reveal a problem that causes it to stop working and that's entirely possible. Often these have never been serviced and the ground off clutch material in the fluid is the only thing holding it together. However, if that's the case it's only a matter of WHEN it fails and I myself would rather it fail in my driveway than i would 2hrs from home. The procedure is rather simple though rather messy. And though the horror stories above exist much more often it shifts better and firmer with new ATF+4 and a band adjustment.

Congrats on your buy

Thanks! I'll be looking for that sticky. Also, yes it's an automatic. My car is stick and wife doesn't like driving it so I figured the truck should be auto so we both have access to it. But I may fall under the "don't do it" camp on this topic. I agree with all your points, but for what I'm using the truck for (most likely 2,000 miles a year MAX), I'd rather not poke the bear. It seems to be working flawlessly currently.

If it's not a regular driver, and not going to see a lot of miles, I'd change oil, make sure the front end (tie rod ends, etc) are safe, and drive it.

I've had a few magnums over 200k miles and purr like kittens. In fact, 4 years ago I bought a '01 2500 with a 5.9 and it now is about ready to turn over to 254,*** miles and it's my daily driver. No real maintenance issues whatsoever. In the summer it gets about 18 mpg.

You ask "what to do next?" I say drive it :)

This one purrs so far! I was happy to have found it after driving a few junk heaps that were listed for more $$$. I saved some money on this one due to quite a bit of cosmetic issues. But it fits my needs perfectly and mechanically seems solid. I'll definitely be doing the oil change, fixing the leak, an alignment, and shocks and I should be good to roll!

SaberSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When (not if) you replace the plenum gasket, also install that aluminum (aftermarket) plenum. The aluminum intake and sheet metal plenum bottom expand and contract at different rates / different temps, and it results in that gasket failure. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have the aluminum plenum. You can check to see if the previous owner did the swap by using a magnet. Take air intake assembly off and lower magnet. If it sticks to bottom of intake manifold, get the credit card ready! If it doesn't, the previous owner did you a favor.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
When (not if) you replace the plenum gasket, also install that aluminum (aftermarket) plenum. The aluminum intake and sheet metal plenum bottom expand and contract at different rates / different temps, and it results in that gasket failure. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have the aluminum plenum. You can check to see if the previous owner did the swap by using a magnet. Take air intake assembly off and lower magnet. If it sticks to bottom of intake manifold, get the credit card ready! If it doesn't, the previous owner did you a favor.
Old theory, been disproven plenty of times. Material expansion rates are not the cause. Bolts are often too long and bottomed out due to intake machining consistency and quality control. The other thing is the factory gasket is pure crap. It's basically paper/felt material you can get in any parts store. It oil soaks and gets very weak. There's a reason Mopar came out with an updated gasket which any dealer can get ahold of rather easily

OP
OP
M

makrop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Ok so I've had some time to get to know the truck a little bit. When I bought it, the PO said he just replaced the windshield and that they forgot to re-hook up the overhead console. There was a wire hanging down from behind the headliner with a plug that didnt go to the mirror, and the overhead console screen has been blank. Well we had some warm weather today so I decided to pull the console down to plug in this wire. Come to find out there is no where for that wire to go... so I'm left to assume that the rear view mirror has been replaced as well and the PO didnt feel like ponying up for the auto dimming version (I'm assuming that's what the wire was for). So I just tucked the wire up into the console, broke a clip while trying to re-install, and now I'm left knowing I have the ghetto rear view mirror, and most likely a broken module for the compass / temp. Also now I can see light coming out around the edges of the console since the clip broke and I cant get it back flush and tight. Not a good afternoon... Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

20190105_174123.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio