Just discovered another great thing about the Pentastar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Haha, funny thing is I have no context. Don’t own a boat, don’t own a trailer and have no idea what either weigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should be able to tow around 7,000 lbs with the 3.6L Ram 1500 give or take some depending on configuration.

For context, you could probably tow a car with a car trailer comfortably within it's limits although I have never tried it (and it depends on the car).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anyone actually tow with the 6? I don’t have a need, just curious what I COULD tow if I had, well, something to tow.

I tow my Yamaha wolverine X4 XT-R with mine. Not sure how much the trailer weighs but I think the Yamaha weighs around 1600 pounds. I have the 3:21. Pulls with no issues.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow my Yamaha wolverine X4 XT-R with mine. Not sure how much the trailer weighs but I think the Yamaha weighs around 1600 pounds. I have the 3:21. Pulls with no issues.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Ok, this gives me an idea. Basically I shouldn’t buy a 20 footer and expect to tow it lol.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Ok, this gives me an idea. Basically I shouldn’t buy a 20 footer and expect to tow it lol.

If the 20 footer was under 6-7000 lbs, I wouldn't think twice, I would hook up and go. 3200 lbs behind the v6 with 8 spd & 3.21 is no effort at all. Hills and acceleration from dead stop or highway speed are not an issue.
I've been very impressed with the pentastar in my 19 classic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

My max payload is 1543 lbs and my max towing capacity is 7243 lbs as equipped from the factory with 3:55 gears Quad Cab...I would likely round those down to 1400 and 7000 lbs respectively to account for aftermarket add-ons I've made and stuff that lives in the Ramboxes.

A quick way to get this info for yourself is to setup a profile with your VIN on Mopar.com. it will be displayed on the right hand side of the page.6c9b48afb34843ff4213d93462311fc2.jpg

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Just watched the new video that came out about the Hemi, and it’s sad how badly it’s designed.

I don't think that's necessary. The 5.7 has to be one of the best selling engines in history and has been used in many, many platforms. There are many with well over 200,000 miles and they still sell them as fast as they can build them.

However......

I had no idea the Pentastar was on it's way to being legendary, and will consider one next time FOR SURE !

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I don't think that's necessary. The 5.7 has to be one of the best selling engines in history and has been used in many, many platforms. There are many with well over 200,000 miles and they still sell them as fast as they can build them.

However......

I had no idea the Pentastar was on it's way to being legendary, and will consider one next time FOR SURE !

I know, i just wish the Hemi could be even a tad bit as reliable as the Pentastar with 8K oil changes without needing a valve train overhaul. Chrysler did SUCH a god job with the Pentastar but such a “meh” job with the Hemi.

Sent from Blue Onyx

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
does PENTASTAR have a badge?

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I know, i just wish the Hemi could be even a tad bit as reliable as the Pentastar with 8K oil changes without needing a valve train overhaul. Chrysler did SUCH a god job with the Pentastar but such a “meh” job with the Hemi.

Sent from Blue Onyx

My 3rd gen hemi Ram I always changed oil around 10K and often went to 12K. 267K miles never had any issues. But that was pre-MDS, that might be an issue now that it uses lighter oil.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My 3rd gen hemi Ram I always changed oil around 10K and often went to 12K. 267K miles never had any issues. But that was pre-MDS, that might be an issue now that it uses lighter oil.

MDS is what kills current HEMI engines. That and a few other things but it all branches off from MDS. I liked older HEMI V8s despite them sucking more gas than a ***** does **** for not an amazing power output but they were atleast reliable.

Sent from Blue Onyx

TheMill13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys,
Great thread. I currently own a 2011 1500 crew 4X4 Hemi with 196,000. No real problems, just rust from living in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. I have been thinking of getting the V6 because of mpg and I love routing for the underdog.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi guys,
Great thread. I currently own a 2011 1500 crew 4X4 Hemi with 196,000. No real problems, just rust from living in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. I have been thinking of getting the V6 because of mpg and I love routing for the underdog.
I don't think it's the underdog anymore. I think I read FCA's plan is to have 25% of all Rams sold to have the 3.6l from here on out. Not to mention all of the other FCA vehicles using this engine, I don't think it would be a stretch to call it their flagship engine.

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I was able to get a 2017 Big Horn when I went looking at used trucks because it had the V6 rather than the Hemi. The Hemi models were a few grand more and I thought, if I don't tow or haul anything on a regular basis...why pay extra? I didn't know all the trim levels, but the sales guy pointed out the Big Horn with 1000 less miles and $1000 less than the truck I was originally looking at. So, I have the Big Horn, V6 and could not be happier.