Just got my 2020 Ram 1500 lemon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took delivery of my new 2020 Ram 1500 Limited that is fully loaded 2 weeks ago. Had it for 7 days and then everything went nuts on it. Drivers seat cooling stopped working, A/C went mental, air ride suspension did not work right. self park will not work, power steering not working right. than the engine light come on with the low battery light. Truck has been a the dealer for a week now and now they said that they have to order voltage regulator parts for the 48V battery that are VIN specific. Told them we do not want the truck any more. We will see what happens

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Took delivery of my new 2020 Ram 1500 Limited that is fully loaded 2 weeks ago. Had it for 7 days and then everything went nuts on it. Drivers seat cooling stopped working, A/C went mental, air ride suspension did not work right. self park will not work, power steering not working right. than the engine light come on with the low battery light. Truck has been a the dealer for a week now and now they said that they have to order voltage regulator parts for the 48V battery that are VIN specific. Told them we do not want the truck any more. We will see what happens

If you had the truck for seven days and had all these problems, I have no idea why you would accept it. Require a new truck. Zero tolerance on this.....There’s no way I would accept it. These trucks have a history of being very dependable, that many issues on that truck you can expect it to continue, I would not even begin to accept anything less.
They will push back, just mention you’ll get a lawyer, they’ll back off in a hurry once they know you’re serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
If you had the truck for seven days and had all these problems, I have no idea why you would accept it. Require a new truck. Zero tolerance on this.....There’s no way I would accept it. These trucks have a history of being very dependable, that many issues on that truck you can expect it to continue, I would not even begin to accept anything less.
They will push back, just mention you’ll get a lawyer, they’ll back off in a hurry once they know you’re serious.
In most states and provinces it's up to the individual dealer or manufacturer to agree to replace the vehicle in cases like this, and they'll have lawyers on retainer. Most seem to fear social media and the news much more.

With few exceptions Lemon Laws or or CAMVAP require 3 repair attempts for a defect that substantially impairs the safety, use or value of the vehicle, or 30 days out of service before action can be taken.

All's not lost though. I had a new vehicle stall as I was pulling out of the lot after buying it, and it stalled several times and had ABS issues in the time it took to drive it around the block to take it back. They would not return my trade in, and stuck my in some horrible POS from their used inventory while they repaired it for a week. There were no other issues during the warranty period, and the car was reliable for many years.

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
That sucks, sorry to hear that.
If they don't work with you on a replacement hopefully the repair is a one and done.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like eTorque is giving you problems. This should be in 5th Gen, you might get better responses. Good luck, hopefully they get it worked out for you. Like another poster said, unfortunately, it has to be out of service for more than a month in most cases to be "lemoned". Hopefully they have given you a loaner.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

These trucks have a history of being dependable? Lol. Where? My 2018 is junk already. My friend bought a 2020 and within 2 weeks his horn stopped working and he has a check engine light the dealer can't get rid of. Ill never buy a ram again.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Not sure what the lemon laws are in Ontario, Canada, but I’d suspect you have to allow the dealer to attempt a fix so many times before it is ruled a lemon.

I’ve not heard anything negative about the eTorque systems, but like everything else, they are man made and can fail. Everything you’ve described is electrical or electrically driven which explains why the voltage regulator is the suspect part.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this, but it sounds like the dealer has it well in hand.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can't say my '14 RAM has been trouble free but issue have been common wear items. The only curve ball so far was the brake caliper that locked up on me a few weeks ago. At 101000 miles there are some things that make me smile still yet. According to the oil change meter I have 13% oil life left. I check the oil level and I'm very happy to see it really uses no oil. Some oil is consumed via oil mist in the closed PCV system but it isn't appreciable. That is a tight healthy engine and it isn't like this truck has been babied. It has pulled some heavy loads for long distances.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2nd the battery idea. Especially if the truck has been sitting on the lot for 6+ months with no love. I don't suspect a lot of people have be lining up to buy 70K+ truck this year

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On my 3rd Ram as well---Never a problem,,but then mine have all been Diesel, not sure if that would be an issue... I concur on the battery, I let my truck sit for a while and the battery went low,,man it threw all kinds of codes! charged the battery cleared the codes and good to go.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
FCA has become nothing but a bunch of garbage. My RAMs have been fine BUT my Jeeps are JUNK. I have bought 4 new FCA vehicles in a 16 month period and will NOT buy anymore after the Bob Poynter Jeep of Columbus Indiana cheated me as well as lied.As well as my 1st Cherokee has a lemon and it took 5 months to get it bought back. I bought a Cherokee because they are the most american made vehicle. Next new vehicle will NOT be from FCA. Google lemon laws for the state you are in. If you bought the vehicle in one state and live in another state you will have to go under federal lemon laws. Do not worry they will drag it out and try to get you to trade it in so you loose even more money. I waited them out and only lost $1800 over $5600 that they wanted me to loose by trading in. One last thing my current Jeep problem is now in the hands of the Indiana Attorney General, so hoping it will get resolved before very long but it takes a long while to get things done against FCA.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These trucks have a history of being dependable? Lol. Where? My 2018 is junk already. My friend bought a 2020 and within 2 weeks his horn stopped working and he has a check engine light the dealer can't get rid of. Ill never buy a ram again.
I am on my third new Ram since 1994. I drive long and hard. My first one still trucking around town, my parents are driving my second, and so far so good on my third. 2 front wheel hubs, bad O2 sensor experience, and a couple broken header bolts over that time. Pretty reliable. My secret, I don't get lots of bells and whistles, and I am very punctual with scheduled maintenance. Sorry you are having problems with your truck, have you posted about it?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

What do mean "I have no idea why you would accept it. Require a new truck. Zero tolerance on this.....There’s no way I would accept it."

He bought the Truck, he owns it.
It sucks but it is what it is, Let them fix the truck or try and go lemon law if they cant fix it in a timely manner.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What do mean "I have no idea why you would accept it. Require a new truck. Zero tolerance on this.....There’s no way I would accept it."

He bought the Truck, he owns it.
It sucks but it is what it is, Let them fix the truck or try and go lemon law if they cant fix it in a timely manner.

For sure on that. It's an unfortunate situation, but unless the dealer offers a 5-7day/250mile buyback like many do these days, you bought it and now have to follow what ever process the dealer can do. The manufacturer is going to leave it in the dealers hands at this point.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like the one where rams are junk because of a faulty horn and check engine light. Lol. I’m on my 4th ram and have had the fourth for 8.5 years, no major problems to speak of. (I know I just jinxed myself!)
P.S. I bet it’s the battery too. Please let us know.