Just got my 2020 Ram 1500 lemon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
These trucks have a history of being dependable? Lol. Where? My 2018 is junk already. My friend bought a 2020 and within 2 weeks his horn stopped working and he has a check engine light the dealer can't get rid of. Ill never buy a ram again.
Ford and chevy are much better.Laffin:3639243774_5f528137

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Canada we don't have the Lemon Law protection that the Americans have. Most of the time we are at the mercy of the auto manufacturer and the dealers.

I'm not brand loyal but knock on wood, I haven't had any serious issues with my 2016 Ram.

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry I have not been able to update because of no internet. We are way in the bush and only have satellite internet when its down its down. Heard from the dealership today parts will not be in until Sept 8th. That means they will have had it for more than a month. The battery pack is shot and they said it is a VIN specific part that has to be made. It is the size of a brief case and is mounted behind the rear seat. It controls all the electronics on the truck.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry I have not been able to update because of no internet. We are way in the bush and only have satellite internet when its down its down. Heard from the dealership today parts will not be in until Sept 8th. That means they will have had it for more than a month. The battery pack is shot and they said it is a VIN specific part that has to be made. It is the size of a brief case and is mounted behind the rear seat. It controls all the electronics on the truck.
So I guess the lesson here is if you buy a 5th gen with the hemi don't get the etorque. Apparently a new etorque hemi may be fine at 1st for many years & miles but it will eventually go bad and leave you with a large driveway ornament.

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man it has been over a month now and still waiting for the part they now say it was shipped and should be in today. We will see.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone noticed Ram dealers are selling brand new trucks with active recalls? Also, when they get a Ram on trade they push it out on the lot for resale without completing the recalls? The manufacturer, FCA, would be wise to punish dealers who do this.
If you want a problem free Ram you should get a classic. The 5th gen is not design and built for those who use their trucks for actual work. I had an all new Ram 1500 and put 30k miles in 13 months. After being disappointed every single day I drove the truck for work I went back to a classic. Much better now :)

Last edited:

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To the OP, it sucks that you and friend both have gotten a couple of troublesome trucks, I can only say that with all of the Dodge/Jeep/Ram products I’ve owned I’ve had mostly issues as any brand will also, and they’ve all been corrected without too much hassle. It always sucks when our vehicle’s go ******* nuts for no reason and some dealers are only about a bottom line or the techs don’t know which end does what. A big piece of advice I was given by a man much smarter than me while we worked on his 66 Dart GT he said, If you want to know how you’re vehicle works and how it needs to be fixed, lift the hood. Followed that advice by learning all I could on every vehicle I ever owned and when thing’s went or go wrong If it’s something I can do cheaper than my Warranty deductible I do it and if not when I get warranty work done I check for any tsb’s, recall’s and forums before I bring it in so I have a good idea of the problem and what needs to be done. Good luck with it and if not remember every once in awhile there’s a real junker out there and you’ll have to deal with it in your own way.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
These trucks have a history of being dependable? Lol. Where? My 2018 is junk already. My friend bought a 2020 and within 2 weeks his horn stopped working and he has a check engine light the dealer can't get rid of. Ill never buy a ram again.

If these trucks are junk, why do people keep buying them? I see this over and over again, on YouTube and well. First people complain, then they go buy another one. And not just RAM trucks. I've seen a guy on YouTube from Las Vegas who bought a Challenger that he claims had a lot of issues. He got the dealership to buy it back (lemon law). Then he went to a different dealership and ordered a Hellcat Challenger :eek:

After that, he was back on YouTube ******** about that one as well. I guess some people just like to complain and enjoy the extra attention.

Last edited:

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If these trucks are junk, why do people keep buying them? I see this over and over again, on YouTube and well. First people complain, then they go buy another one. And not just RAM trucks. I've seen a guy on YouTube from Las Vegas who bought a Challenger that he claims had a lot of issues. He got the dealership to buy it back (lemon law). Then he went to a different dealership and ordered a Hellcat Challenger :eek:

After that, he was back on YouTube ******** about that one as well. I guess some people just like to complain and enjoy the extra attention.

Go buy an all new problems 5th gen Ram. You will be on here raising hell. They have problems! The 4th gen Ram is a much better truck in every way in my humble opinion.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Go buy an all new problems 5th gen Ram. You will be on here raising hell. They have problems! The 4th gen Ram is a much better truck in every way in my humble opinion.

I can't afford a new 5th gen RAM, not even a used one. My 2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 was $36K all taxes and fees included and I got like $11K left to pay on it. I would never entertain the idea of enslaving myself and spend the rest of my life in servitude and pay over $50K for a truck that is by no measurable metric any better than what I have.

I better find my 2013 RAM 2500 and get rid of my 2020 RAM 3500 cause it's gonna die on me.

I doubt that your 2020 will fall apart on you. That must have been one expensive truck.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Man it has been over a month now and still waiting for the part they now say it was shipped and should be in today. We will see.
Let us know how it turns out. I'm betting that once they replace the battery pack, you'll be golden. Like others, I've had three Rams, and while not perfect, they've been very reliable. I've also owned A Mazda, a couple Nissans, a Toyota, a GMC and a Chevy truck and all have had their issues.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did anyone catch that the dealer claimed its a vin specific part?

So it's like custom made for each truck?

SMH .... FCAs biggest problem is their dealers IMHO

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just have to laugh at the ones in here saying Rams are junk. I have had six in the past 16 years, three diesels, two Hemi's and one 4.7. Besides several recalls the only real problem was the typical Hemi "tick" in the 09 Laramie I had and sold it that way.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To specifically call the Ram line "junk" is flat out crazy. Any and ALL manufacturers will have a less-than-perfect vehicle leave their line once in a while. There is no 100% quality perfection metric for any of them. Of course they are trying to achieve it, who isn't?

Although, there are exceptions to this: The Hyundai Theta engine fiasco, the 1998-2004 Ram transmission fiasco and so on. However, Ram has brought out a dependable truck for several years now....even with the 'flat lobe' issue that doesn't seem to be a widespread event.

Even though I had the transmission issue with my '01 Ram, I got it rebuilt and it is STILL going down the road with my daughter at the wheel (300k miles). That's dependability right there. The 360 engine has yet to be cracked open to be rebuilt. And only uses 1 quart of oil per oil change.

Make mine RAM!

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with this one. That sucks! Good luck and keep fighting. I always try to buy the last year or so when new generation trucks come on the market.

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has now gotten better. Dealership called yesterday and said it also needs a wiring harness and it will take a few days to get that. This is just unreal.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mass produced factory vehicles there’s always gonna be some out there that has its issues. Depending on your state typically the dealer has 3x to fix the original issue you can’t just scream lemon and demand a new vehicle it doesn’t work like that. Give them an opportunity to fix your vehicles before you go screaming lawyer blah blah. I know it’s frustrating but that’s the process. Pour yourself a drink and calm the hell down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has now gotten better. Dealership called yesterday and said it also needs a wiring harness and it will take a few days to get that. This is just unreal.
@Dean B Please tell me they put you in a loaner truck since the onset of this?