Just Got My Blackstone Analysis Back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
I can see a 3K / 6 month OCI with cheap Dino oil but not with synthetic oil, IMO that's a waste of $ & good oil...
Maybe, maybe not, but I don’t want to wake up one morning saying “Maybe I should have stuck with the 3k/6 month plan”. In my case, it’s going to be two oil changes per year as I will hit 6 months before 3k miles. $90 per change. Thanks.
- John

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe, maybe not, but I don’t want to wake up one morning saying “Maybe I should have stuck with the 3k/6 month plan”. In my case, it’s going to be two oil changes per year as I will hit 6 months before 3k miles. $90 per change. Thanks.
-
Can’t put a price on piece of mind.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I can see a 3K / 6 month OCI with cheap Dino oil but not with synthetic oil, IMO that's a waste of $ & good oil...
True, but it's so nice to be to afford to waste it.
To some, buying this expensive a truck is a waste.

Everything's relative.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Your post shows how much you don't know about synthetic oil or that some are capable of 20K OCI and still protect the engine, but to get those long OCI one should also use a high quality oil filter that can last that long...
I know more about synthetic oil that some. But it make no difference, if you are under warranty going 14K between oil changes kisses your warranty out the window. Now if a person wishes to be penny wise and pound foolish, that a pretty foolish mistake to make IMO.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I know more about synthetic oil that some. But it make no difference, if you are under warranty going 14K between oil changes kisses your warranty out the window. Now if a person wishes to be penny wise and pound foolish, that a pretty foolish mistake to make IMO.
FYI my OCI per the Ram owners manual is 12 months or 15K

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Checked with the dealer max for a 6.7 is 8,000 miles. Maybe you have a misprint?
About oil changes from the PDF the RAM 2022 2500 owners manual. FYI the gas engine they list in the manual is for the 6.4L:

For Gasoline Engines, under no circumstances
should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles
(13,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine
run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of
engine run or idle time

For Diesel Engines, under no circumstances
should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles
(24,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first
or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator
system.

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got my first oil analysis back as well and was going to post it and ask a question, I searched oil analysis and this thread came up. Even though this thread kind of changed from oil analysis to length of time between oil changes I still figured I'd post the question. We have same engine yet on a power wagon. same oil yet his interval of oil change mileage, I misread it and thought that was the mileage on the truck LOL, that is the mileage on my truck, not by oil interval change. I change my oil every 8,000 km or 5,000 miles. I did my oil analysis to get a baseline.Instead of posting my results which are almost identical to these results, my question is did anybody notice the somewhat high copper in his report, that might not be such a high number for the mileage on his truck, yet that is the exact same number of copper and Molly that is in my report, yet my engine only has 13,500 MI. My oil analysis was done by the amsoil labs not Blackstone, yet like I said the numbers are identical. After doing some research on that copper number from what I understand, which is very little lol when it comes to oil analysis on these types of metals. It usually means it's an additive that the oil you're using added or it's from the copper lines in the coolers or lastly possible bearing wear. Is that correct? Now my oil analysis company did point out that 85 copper parts per million did stick out for an engine with only 13,000 MI. Is that a number anybody would be worried about?

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I just got my first oil analysis back as well and was going to post it and ask a question, I searched oil analysis and this thread came up. Even though this thread kind of changed from oil analysis to length of time between oil changes I still figured I'd post the question. We have same engine yet on a power wagon. same oil yet his interval of oil change mileage, I misread it and thought that was the mileage on the truck LOL, that is the mileage on my truck, not by oil interval change. I change my oil every 8,000 km or 5,000 miles. I did my oil analysis to get a baseline.Instead of posting my results which are almost identical to these results, my question is did anybody notice the somewhat high copper in his report, that might not be such a high number for the mileage on his truck, yet that is the exact same number of copper and Molly that is in my report, yet my engine only has 13,500 MI. My oil analysis was done by the amsoil labs not Blackstone, yet like I said the numbers are identical. After doing some research on that copper number from what I understand, which is very little lol when it comes to oil analysis on these types of metals. It usually means it's an additive that the oil you're using added or it's from the copper lines in the coolers or lastly possible bearing wear. Is that correct? Now my oil analysis company did point out that 85 copper parts per million did stick out for an engine with only 13,000 MI. Is that a number anybody would be worried about?

High copper, like high iron, is usually from initial break in wear of the engine. Yes, copper is from journal bearings, iron from cylinder walls.

Here is the main UOA thread --> https://www.ramforum.com/threads/blackstone-used-oil-analysis.113465/

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Checked with the dealer max for a 6.7 is 8,000 miles. Maybe you have a misprint?
Nope my owners manual says not to ever exceed 10,000 miles. Frankly my wife and I are retired, I am almost 78 and doing an oil change at 6,000 miles to protect my investment it well worth the peace of mind. I don't agree that special high dollar oils are worth the extra cost. We all do what we think is best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio