Just install my bilstein 5100s butttt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so I just got done installing my 5100 on the front. Now I am reading something about the washer is suppose to be under the top plate???? I put it all back together like factory then washer right under the nut. So I guess this is wrong?? How long do I have before failure? The nut is suppose to screw on without the washer under it. The guys on the YouTube videos also put the washer right under the nut.

I guess I need to take it apart and redo this?

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Better sooner then later man

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes. didn't you read the instructions? its right in there:) the shaft is tapered on the bilstein so it will slip through the top hat eventually. likely not days (unless you hit a hard bump or offroad) but likely within weeks. the washer going under the top hat on the shaft keeps the shaft from going through the top hat.

eventually it will push through the top hat and you'll need to replace those. one person actually had the rod go through their floorboard but i've never seen that before.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I won’t have time to redo this for another week or two. Ugh this sucks. The directions were alittle confusing on that part

So if it slips through I will need to buy new top hats as well? Or will I just be able to put washer on and top hat back on?

So frustrated right now.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
A couple hundred street miles might make it, couple thousand and the rod will egg the top hole where you’ll have to get new strut mounts.

Once it starts squeaking you’ll know the rod made its way through the top hat.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok so hopefully I’ll get to it wed. Please make it 7 days !

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
good luck! you won't be the first one who's done it, that's for sure. when i got my billy's installed, the old mechanic at the 4 x 4 place knew exactly what i was talking about. the younger guy who owns the place said "its just like any other shock isn't it". i showed him the instructions and the washer placement and he still didn't get it. i had to explain the "why' to him. ohhhhhhhh, he says. lol.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Haha I am thinking it should only take me like an hour and a half this time.

The hardest part was removing the top iron the old struts. But these will only be a week old I think it should come right off.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah and its not like you have to redo the springs or anything. you did put the perch that the springs sit on correctly, right?;)

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
how high did you set them at btw? unless you changed uca's, i wouldn't go higher than 2.1. hate to see you have to do it again.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well I’ll still have to compress the springs to change the washer. But the Perch and stuff ya I don’t have to do.

Yes I set them to 2.1

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Alright let’s just hope it makes it till next week so I don’t need to buy top hats

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
good job. well worth a bit of sleep. lol.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear you fixed it before you had the blow out.

Mine were installed by a shop where I explained the importance of this issue. They still installed them wrong. I noticed a rattle right away and got it back to the shop a couple days later only to have the owner say it was installed correctly and there was no rattle. 3 weeks later the strut blew through the top plate. SOB!

It was an overall pain in the ass but they made it right and I'm still happy with my BIL's 3+ years later.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
so I just got done installing my 5100 on the front. Now I am reading something about the washer is suppose to be under the top plate???? I put it all back together like factory then washer right under the nut. So I guess this is wrong?? How long do I have before failure? The nut is suppose to screw on without the washer under it. The guys on the YouTube videos also put the washer right under the nut.

I guess I need to take it apart and redo this?
Right now would be great.