Just noticed the 2018 Sport has a dial shifter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It annoyed me too at first for like a month but now I like it

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I like how alot of the responses seem to be defending the dial, if you like the dial good for you. Just hope they bring floor shifter back. If a Dodge Durango with an 8 speed can have it so should the Ram. Something about shifting the lever into drive has a cool feeing to me. A dial... eh guess it would remind me of turning on a old thermastat. The wife agress she hates the dial look as to be honest the reason I even got the 13 sport instead of a 16 Tradesman was because she hated the dial and of course other bells n whistles.

Now can we let this thread die? We get it some love the dial and others dont. I orignally made this thread seeking info, got it thanks.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Making a good reason to buy a 2500 and not a 1500. No more 1500's for me that's for sure and the shifter isn't the only reason.

You'd buy a 2500 just for the column shift? Hmmmmm

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember in the 60's when Chrysler/Dodge vehicles had push button shift. Everybody loved it, but what killed it was the lady drivers of the day complained about breaking their finger nails on the push buttons. That's what killed the push button system.

Hemi Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my dial shifter and I really like all the space in the center console it frees up.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New 2018 Sport 4x4 Crewcab operator here...with dial shifter of course. It's o.k. I guess, but I don't like that micro second delay/lag between shifter selections. I don't think that it will work to well for "rocking the truck" out of a stuck (in a snow bank) situation. My old 2003 4x2 SLT was column shift and was great for "rocking" on the few times I needed to do that. I guess with 4 wheel drive I shouldn't have to rock anything but... The dial is all part of the "fly by wire" technology...no linkage needed. I'm wondering if a software up-grade might reduce the lag?

Cheers

T.

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dang I got lucky.... hope they can make an 8 speed floor shifter soon

I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and it has a console shifter with the paddles on the steering wheel. So, FCA already has a setup that will work with the current 8-speed automatics. However, it appears that RAM has decided to go with the rotary shifter on the dash...

GC SRT Interior.JPG

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My neighbor has a Chrysler 300 which has the console shifter. It features a ratcheting action rather than a selective dent action. You must pay attention to the PNRD display on the dash/speedo cluster to ensure you are where you wish to be. He stepped out of the car thinking he was in Park only to have the car roll forward and take out his garage door. Same supposed issue that may have killed the Star Trek star while parking his Jeep Cherokee. Mail to FCA did not meet with any success regarding the garage door or the issue with possible missuse of the shifter. Lucky that the only problem with the car was a popped trim panel at right front fender, which I snapped back into place. So, be careful what you wish for. My truck, uses software ( I think?) which will auto park the thing if the door opens. That’s frustrating at times if I’m trying to spot park or roll the truck just that much (with the door open) at times.

T.

Last edited:

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My neighbor has a Chrysler 300 which has the console shifter. It features a ratcheting action rather than a selective dent action. You must pay attention to the PNRD display on the dash/speedo cluster to ensure you are where you wish to be. He stepped out of the car thinking he was in Park only to have the car roll forward and take out his garage door. Same supposed issue that may have killed the Star Trek star while parking his Jeep Cherokee. Mail to FCA did not meet with any success regarding the garage door or the issue with possible missuse of the shifter. Lucky that the only problem with the car was a popped trim panel at right front fender, which I snapped back into place. So, be careful what you wish for. My truck, uses software ( I think?) which will auto park the thing if the door opens. That’s frustrating at times if I’m trying to spot park or roll the truck just that much (with the door open) at times.

T.
I miss the console shiftier for the 'fun' part of it. I like the dial for the space saving part of it. I didn't think I'd get used to the dial but I have, quicker than expected.
not sure about the USA but Canada FCA sent out a recall for my 2015 because of this exact thing (I won't call it an issue) because it's operator error. it wasn't only software related, it was an physical change of the dial switch. my dial now makes a slightly different noise when moved from position to position since the recall was done.. and I can no longer shift into D or R or open a door when in D or R and it's annoying. same deal as you .. I occasionally will open the door when backing up and boom! I'm in park. Only done that once since, so not no more. don't like this but just another thing where safety measures are being forced into place because of poor or distracted drivers. I should have actually read the recall notice before getting it done, I would have declined it.

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Making a good reason to buy a 2500 and not a 1500. No more 1500's for me that's for sure and the shifter isn't the only reason.

The 2019 2500s with the 6.4L gas engine will have the 8-speed tranny with the dash mounted rotary shifter. Only the models with the diesel engine will retain the 6-speed tranny.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive actually enjoyed the dial shifter. The floor/column shifter is cool, but outdated (in my opinion).

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha,...and I thought this was the up-graded shift knob? FCA call it: " Rotary Shifter- Bright" on the build sheet. It's a year later and I guess I'm use to the idea of the knob shifter. Heck...I've gotta be o.k. with it...there is no other choice.

side bar: if you wish to see a build sheet of your vehicles options and such, build sheet you can enter your VIN here and get a point form listing:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

I'm sure there are other sites like the above...but it's a free-bee.

T.

IMG_2737[1].JPG

Last edited: