Just put a deposit on a '19 Laramie, but have a concern...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie Crew Cab - Flame Red
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just put a deposit on a 2019 Laramie today, but just realized it doesn't have an anti-spin differential. It's a great deal....dealer demo with 1600 miles and I got another $4000 off as a result, but just was looking through the options again and realized it has a 3.21 axle, which I want, but no anti-spin. Should I be seriously concerned here in the northeast? I'd be really upset to lose this truck, but don't want to make a huge mistake either. Thanks in advance for your help.

Stonegoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put a deposit on a 2019 Laramie today, but just realized it doesn't have an anti-spin differential. It's a great deal....dealer demo with 1600 miles and I got another $4000 off as a result, but just was looking through the options again and realized it has a 3.21 axle, which I want, but no anti-spin. Should I be seriously concerned here in the northeast? I'd be really upset to lose this truck, but don't want to make a huge mistake either. Thanks in advance for your help.

Is it a 4x4? If so, then I wouldn’t worry about not having a limited slip rear differential. With 4x4 and traction control, you won’t miss a LSD one bit.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, it’s a 4x4. I live on a huge hill and am worried about being able to get up it in the snow. People with 2wd or fwd and crappy tires wind up sliding backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Is it a 4x4? If so, then I wouldn’t worry about not having a limited slip rear differential. With 4x4 and traction control, you won’t miss a LSD one bit.

This^^ I prefer anti-slip as well but it aint a deal breaker.
More important in a 2WD IMO...

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in upstate NY with a long steep driveway. I had the same opportunity to by a dealer 4x4 demo for a great reduced price but did not have anti-spin or E-Locker rear. I passed on the deal because I have trouble getting out with other 4x4 vehicles without good snow tires. I ended up buying my Ram 4x4 Limited with an E-Locker rear.

95% of the time I don't need the E-Locker or anti-spin rear but when I do, it is an animal and locks both wheels in and climbs right out of the driveway when my other 4x4 has problems without the Blizzaks on. For me, not getting the anti-spin or E-locker was a deal breaker even though the few extra thousand off would have been nice to have.

With the E-locker, it will only works at slow speeds so during normal driving it is off and there is no anti-spin so it is like driving without a special anti-spin rear. If driving on snow covered roads, drive in auto 4x4 or fulltime 4x4 and you won't notice a difference whether you had anti-spin or not. The only time you probably would notice not having it is when you really need all 4 wheels to lock in the best they can either off-road or in my case getting out of my driveway in the winter before plowing or on ice buildup.

Good luck, I don't think you will be disappointed either way.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I live in upstate NY with a long steep driveway. I had the same opportunity to by a dealer 4x4 demo for a great reduced price but did not have anti-spin or E-Locker rear. I passed on the deal because I have trouble getting out with other 4x4 vehicles without good snow tires. I ended up buying my Ram 4x4 Limited with an E-Locker rear.

95% of the time I don't need the E-Locker or anti-spin rear but when I do, it is an animal and locks both wheels in and climbs right out of the driveway when my other 4x4 has problems without the Blizzaks on. For me, not getting the anti-spin or E-locker was a deal breaker even though the few extra thousand off would have been nice to have.

With the E-locker, it will only works at slow speeds so during normal driving it is off and there is no anti-spin so it is like driving without a special anti-spin rear. If driving on snow covered roads, drive in auto 4x4 or fulltime 4x4 and you won't notice a difference whether you had anti-spin or not. The only time you probably would notice not having it is when you really need all 4 wheels to lock in the best they can either off-road or in my case getting out of my driveway in the winter before plowing or on ice buildup.

Good luck, I don't think you will be disappointed either way.

As long as full time 4x4 will get me up my hill I’m good. I’m more inclined to use 4x4 high in heavy rain and accumulating snow than auto. Someone had mentioned adding an Eaton LSD later on if I feel I need it. Anybody have an idea of what it costs? Looks like the lsd itself is under $500. Just curious about labor costs.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This. I had the same concerns with my truck. But honestly, this truck has been very good in poor traction conditions. First truck I've ever had with the Anti-Spin, and I thought I'd miss it - but I don't

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This. I had the same concerns with my truck. But honestly, this truck has been very good in poor traction conditions. First truck I've ever had with the Anti-Spin, and I thought I'd miss it - but I don't

Do you mean without?

tdeperte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2019 Laramie 4x4. Mine came with anti spin but it is not something I would have ordered with 4x4. It just happened to be on the truck that had the options I wanted. All you have to do when the going gets rough is push the auto 4x4 button.

Stonegoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 1500 without a LSD. It’s a 4x4. I live in the Kootenays of British Columbia. We get 40 feet of snow up high. I don’t think New York State can compete with that. In snow traction control works better than a LSD or even a locker. I know this from lots of experience. Get the truck. You won’t regret it one bit.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Correct, without the anti-spin. Was typing too fast.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you live in an area where you get snow and ice get the anti-spin. A trucks rear end has a hard enough time finding traction because it is so light as is. Could you live without it? Sure, but why? Especially when you are spending that much money on a vehicle you don't want to have regrets down the road.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you're getting opposite opinions. Maybe you could ask the dealer if he has a used one without the LSD and take it up in the snow and see for yourself?

I have owned one with LSD and one without LSD. It has not been a problem for me but I don't drive more than 2 weeks a year in the snow. I suspect you'll be fine either way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to try to be a voice of reason. I have experience with both LSD and regular open diffs. I currently have a 2014 1500 4x4 3.21 with an open diff. My last truck (an F150) did have an LSD and Ill say it was nice to have. If I were ordering one, I would definitely say get an LSD. That being said, I came across a good deal on my 2014 Ram that has an open diff and I made the gamble on it because it was exactly what I wanted in every other aspect. I do not regret it one bit, mine has been amazing even in snow. But I have a fair bit of experience in snow, I am one of those people who absolutely loves snow and loves to be out in snow.

This is also my first vehicle with traction control and I will add its quite impressive. It wont make up for a lack of common sense but it does a fair job of transferring power to the wheel not already slipping.

In the end, its your money and only you can decide whats right for you, but me personally, I wouldnt sweat it.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

Ask the dealer what it would cost to install a posi, probably under $1500. If it's a killer deal and you love the truck, try it without the posi and then have it installed if you need it. A pretty quick value judgement once you know the price to add it.

My guess from experience around here, you won't need it.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In snow traction control works better than a LSD or even a locker.

Traction control in snow? :doublepuke:

Guess it depends on your driving style, I can't stand using traction control in the snow, waiting forever for it to constantly adjust to get going. I'll take the LSD and a lot of gas and some spinning over that any day, but that's just me.

Stonegoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Traction control in snow? :doublepuke:

Guess it depends on your driving style, I can't stand using traction control in the snow, waiting forever for it to constantly adjust to get going. I'll take the LSD and a lot of gas and some spinning over that any day, but that's just me.

Yep, that's definitely just you. I live in the Rocky Mountains, and am an avid skier and snowmobiler. I drive in the snow at least 6 months of the year. I've used LSD, Lockers and traction control. Nothing works as well as traction control to crawl up a nasty logging road with 18 " of fresh snow.

Here, once you start spinning you're done

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, that's definitely just you. I live in the Rocky Mountains, and am an avid skier and snowmobiler. I drive in the snow at least 6 months of the year. I've used LSD, Lockers and traction control. Nothing works as well as traction control to crawl up a nasty logging road with 18 " of fresh snow.

Here, once you start spinning you're done

Yeah admittedly I'm driving on snowy roads, not mountains. If I were doing mountains I'd probably do 4high or lo depending on the on road vs off road conditions. However, on normal snowy roads, I cant stand traction control and for the most part use 2wd (with good tires), I can apply the proper amount of power to the tires on my own. I guarantee I can get going much faster in 2wd without traction control than I could using traction control, sometimes its good to spin and have high rpm.

Also, I'm sure it's not just me, there are probably plenty of other people on here like me, just maybe mostly more of the younger guys.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I live in the rocky mountains and my last truck did not have LSD and it never let me down in 3 winters. I always prefer to have a LSD or locker but a lot can be done with a open dif and the proper braking pedal application. I have front and rear lockers on my Jeep and that is where you really appreciate lockers.