Just swapped my car for a 97 sport 4x4. I have questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Hello. I just swapped my car for a 97 Sport 4x4. You can see my intro in the introduction section. Anyway, there are a few issues, minor ones, that need addressing. I was wondering if any of you could advise, guide or point me in the right direction to get these issues solved. I haven't used the "search" section just yet but I will after I write this. Thank you.

-Both headlights doesn't work. The brights do. (New lightbulbs needed)?

-CEL is on. The guy said he removed the CAT Converter. No O2 sensor just a straight pipe. That's why it seems loud while driving. I need to verify that.

-Power locks doesn't lock. I have to manually lock them. When I press the power lock buttons, I could here the mechanism (electronic sound) working.

-The steering wheel has some play while driving.

-I feel a slight shake but it's more like an up and down motion. (warped tire)? NOT A DEATH WOBBLE.

-Might need new shocks. Looks rusted. Where do I get the ones for Sport 4x4?

-Might need a new rear bumper bracket because the rear bumper is angled down slightly. Or is this normal for 2nd Gen?

-It seems like the drivers side door moves up as it shuts but it is not sagging. It won't move up and down while the door is open. Adjust door striker?

-The rear window slider latch is broken. I need a replacement. (Found some)

-New windshield. PS cracked but does not hinder visual. (Safelite)

I enjoy this truck. I'm waking up early to get some of these fixed and drive it like I stole it! :naughty: ...I didn't.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Hello. I just swapped my car for a 97 Sport 4x4. You can see my intro in the introduction section. Anyway, there are a few issues, minor ones, that need addressing. I was wondering if any of you could advise, guide or point me in the right direction to get these issues solved. I haven't used the "search" section just yet but I will after I write this. Thank you.

-CEL is on. The guy said he removed the CAT Converter. No O2 sensor just a straight pipe. That's why it seems loud while driving. I need to verify that.

-Power locks doesn't lock. I have to manually lock them. When I press the power lock buttons, I could here the mechanism (electronic sound) working.

-I feel a slight shake but it's more like an up and down motion. (warped tire)? NOT A DEATH WOBBLE.

-Might need a new rear bumper bracket because the rear bumper is angled down slightly. Or is this normal for 2nd Gen?

-It seems like the drivers side door moves up as it shuts but it is not sagging. It won't move up and down while the door is open. Adjust door striker?

I enjoy this truck. I'm waking up early to get some of these fixed and drive it like I stole it! :naughty: ...I didn't.

-Yes I would replace the low beams bulbs.

-The power locks is probably some sort of regulator or something along those lines

-The steering having play in it could be a couple things. The cheaper easiest route would be replacing your track bar. Another option, (more expensive and time consuming) is getting a whole new steering box. But it also could be other front end parts it just depends

-You can get new shocks just about anywhere. Rockauto might have some. Just google 97 dodge ram sports shocks and you should get a good list.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

Headlights try some super cheap bulbs to check that they work and if they don't you're going to have to start trouble shooting wires and switches.

Check the CEL. I would suggest installing a Magnaflow HighFlow cat and 02s. The truck will run better with than without there really aren't much of any benefits to deleting them.

Powerlocks sounds like your going to have to pull the inner door panel off and take a better look. Use a trim tool so you can minimize breaking the clips.

Play in the steering wheel is very common issue with 2nd gens. Could be related to up and down motion you mentioned and that could mean just about anything in the front end out of wack. Get somebody to turn the wheel while you lie under and inspect all the tie rod ends, ball joints, track bar, pitman arm, and anything else I'm forgetting.

Shocks you can get at any parts store or parts website. Most will recommend Bilstein 5100s for best ride quality but it depends on your budget and preference. Shocks won't be any different for your trim model unless you have off-road package.

Bumper you can try removing and checking the hardware then reinstalling.

The door, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure mine's doing the same thing. Do you have any wind noise when driving? Go through the car wash and if you get water in through the top of the door (like I do lol) it's not sealing otherwise again its just personal preference on how you want to deal with it. Idk what the issue would be tho. Could be bent hinges or anything in there really.

Hope this helps and that somebody else chimes in on anything I missed.

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
As a matter of fact, for the door, I do hear wind noises.
For the shocks, the guy put a lift kit. I thought all 4x4s come lifted like that. My bad. I'd have to go under the truck and also how high he lifted it. I never asked.
I'll take a look at the magna flow you mentioned.
The steering wheel play, should I just tighten the hex bolt on the steering box???

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
For the shocks, the guy put a lift kit. I thought all 4x4s come lifted like that. My bad. I'd have to go under the truck and also how high he lifted it. I never asked.
The steering wheel play, should I just tighten the hex bolt on the steering box???

How much wind noise? As in, at highway speeds how loud do you have to turn up the radio to listen to it? The answer to mine is quite a bit lol. But I have water come in during a wash too so that might get addressed this summer.

Lift kit is different story for the shocks as now you need to know how much lift. Post up a pic with tire size and I'm sure we can tell you what you have.

Maggy cat is $100 so not bad, cheaper than most stock replacements and better performance and sound.

I wouldn't suggest the hex bolt myself as I don't trust it personally tho many people have done it without consequence. You just have to be careful not to tighten too much. 1/4 turn at a time and test drive after each if you do.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8

Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while your under the front and see if anything is moving. Just by getting a new track bar it can tighten up your steering a good amount. But do an eye test before your go tighten or buy anything.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Play in the steering wheel is very common issue with 2nd gens. Could be related to up and down motion you mentioned and that could mean just about anything in the front end out of wack. Get somebody to turn the wheel while you lie under and inspect all the tie rod ends, ball joints, track bar, pitman arm, and anything else I'm forgetting.

Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while your under the front and see if anything is moving. Just by getting a new track bar it can tighten up your steering a good amount. But do an eye test before your go tighten or buy anything.

Beat ya to it :naughty:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Responses in red.

-Both headlights doesn't work. The brights do. (New light bulbs needed)?

Yes replace both bulbs.

Nothing wrong on not having a cat, but you should have the 02's in play. For the rear 02 search for none/anti fouler trick.

As posted pull the door panels and odds are good the little rod has come unclipped.

Most do in these year trucks, these do not drive like any newer truck or car, they are old school live front axle trucks.

Find out how much lift you have and go from there, Bilstein 5100's some of the best shocks out there for our trucks.

No not normal for our trucks, as posted loosen off the brackets and adjust it.

If the hinges are good then yes you need to adjust the striker plate. But it might need the hinges adjusted, check body lines door to cab see what you have going on.

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Here is the rear bumper I was talking about.
20150222_164514_zpsufyco8mw.jpg

Here is the lift. The guy said he bought a three in leveling kit on the front.20150222_164342_zpsfhg9vo6x.jpg

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My .02 cents worth is dont buy cheap shocks. Wait, nevermind, I have a almost new set of monroe magnums for sale, cheap!! :)