K&n air filter lost some gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 4x4 Sport regular cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I installed a drop in K&N air filter in my 2014 Ram Regular cab 5.7 Hemi 4x4 and my gas mileage seemed to get worse! Whats the best option to increase my gas mileage?

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
So I installed a drop in K&N air filter in my 2014 Ram Regular cab 5.7 Hemi 4x4 and my gas mileage seemed to get worse! Whats the best option to increase my gas mileage?

I had the same result the first week. Mind you, I also disconnected my battery to reset my ECU for airflow. I would also hit the gas harder the first week to see if I felt any actual gain in performance. The answer was no. Once I laid off the gas I found a .5-1.0 gain the following week. It’s not earth shattering but I’ll take it lol.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you want K&N performance, a drop-in isn't the answer. Install a CAI and you'll feel the difference for sure.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did get better mileage with my CAI. I can't give you chalkboard formulas or armchair mathematics, but I can say that I went from about 14 mpg to 16 mpg in the hill country I live in.

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to pass a few big rigs today coming home and buried the gas pedal for the first time since I installed my K&N CAI and my truck cut out when the RPMs got what seemed like 4500K ??
Scared the crap out of me....lol I thought I done flattened the cam our something?
Do ya'll think unplugging the battery and reseting the ECM would help?
The Chevy mechanic across the street said I'm probably getting too much air to gas ratio and the computer does this to keep too much gas going into the piston???

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
""[/QUOTE]The Chevy mechanic across the street said I'm probably getting too much air to gas ratio and the computer does this to keep too much gas going into the piston???[/QUOTE]""

Tell your Chevy mechanic to stick to Chevy's. That is just dumb. Gas is injected into your cylinders, not into pistons. You have a problem but it's not your air filter.

I've been running K&N's on trucks, cars and Harleys for many years and never experienced what you did.

Exactly what happens when you hit 4500 RPM's? Does it stumble and cough or is it just like a governor? We need more info to help you. Without info, we're just guessing.

Last edited:

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
Using the butt dyno to gauge performance increase isn't very reliable. Even less so when you're talking less then 5 HP. However, the thrill of testing is always fun. :D

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
The Chevy mechanic across the street said I'm probably getting too much air to gas ratio and the computer does this to keep too much gas going into the piston???[/QUOTE]""

Tell your Chevy mechanic to stick to Chevy's. That is just dumb. Gas is injected into your cylinders, not into pistons. You have a problem but it's not your air filter.

I've been running K&N's on trucks, cars and Harleys for many years and never experienced what you did.

Exactly what happens when you hit 4500 RPM's? Does it stumble and cough or is it just like a governor? We need more info to help you. Without info, we're just guessing.[/QUOTE]

^^^Exactly this!

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to pass a few big rigs today coming home and buried the gas pedal for the first time since I installed my K&N CAI and my truck cut out when the RPMs got what seemed like 4500K ??
Scared the crap out of me....lol I thought I done flattened the cam our something?
The Chevy mechanic across the street said I'm probably getting too much air to gas ratio and the computer does this to keep too much gas going into the piston???

A Chevy mechanic giving advise about a dodge...that's funny

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the same type of "mechanic" that would tell you if you put on an aftermarket muffler, it'll ruin your back pressure, causing it to never run right.

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started it this morning and let it idle for about four minutes. i said what the hell and gave it a quick throttle...it died... No codes and it fired right up. so I drove normal till I got a clear spot with no hills and sure enough it cut out at... (this time I was watching the rpm gauge) 5500K rpm? No codes still runs fine. Drove to the shop and pulled the trailer the rest of the day and truck seems great??? Pulled the trailer loaded all day with zero issues. I usually get 12 to 13 mpg gallon in the city pulling the trailer loaded. Today according to the lie O meter I am at 16mpg. It does feel like it is a loss of power. Never experienced this untill I put the K&N on.

Last edited:

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Mine sounds like it's trying to suck all of the oxygen out of the atmosphere and then I'm pushed back nicely during acceleration. I'd say there's something else going on if you're having this issue. Find someone with a computer to plug in and check for codes.

Also, check to make sure your mass airflow sensor is properly seated. Sometimes you'll have an issue with that and it's not throwing a check engine light. Check that everything is on nice and tight too.

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
User Error. Drove over 220 miles today to Centerville Texas after tightening up everything last night. Made quite a few from 65 to 90 passes once the speed limit raised to 75. Not one problem and sounds great.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Mine sounds like it's trying to suck all of the oxygen out of the atmosphere and then I'm pushed back nicely during acceleration. I'd say there's something else going on if you're having this issue. Find someone with a computer to plug in and check for codes.

Also, check to make sure your mass airflow sensor is properly seated. Sometimes you'll have an issue with that and it's not throwing a check engine light. Check that everything is on nice and tight too.

No MAF sensors on these trucks.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I actually had some luck with a throttle body "spacer". I run a k and n drop in with what's called an econoaid throttle body spacer. My truck seems to do the same mileage on the highway as it always did, but in town was a great improvement. I always get 20-27 mpg depending on the mix of driving. I also run a v6, but hey, same principle.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Using the butt dyno to gauge performance increase isn't very reliable. Even less so when you're talking less then 5 HP. However, the thrill of testing is always fun. :D

IMHO--your "butt" dyno works in direct proportion to the price you paid for the performance enhancement. The more you paid the better it feels and conversely, the less you paid the less change you think you feel.
Jay