K&N direct fit muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spacex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is wicked tempting. I’m not a fan of super loud, but the truck does sound a little wimpy stock…
Got the muffler today and installed it after work. I'm extremely impressed with it. I've never been a K&N fan, but this muffler is top quality. It even has notches cut out for the alignment tabs on the factory tail pipes and midpipe. Only other muffler thats been on my truck that had those notches was the factory muffler. Comes with nice clamps too.
View attachment 493221View attachment 493222View attachment 493223

It's not much smaller than the factory muffler either but it weighs quite a bit less. It has a nice deep tone at idle.

From my first quick drive with it, it's EXACTLY the sound I was looking for: louder than stock but not obnoxious on the highway. Haven't towed with it yet but from what I've heard of it I doubt it'll be a problem.
View attachment 493224View attachment 493225

Plus its 304 stainless so like @Cableman showed it won't rust much if any if you live where there's salt on the roads in the winter.

Only "bad" thing I can think of about it is it's not really loud if that's what you're looking for.

Highly recommend this!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Well for comparison, here is what the extension pipes on a Solo Mach 40 looks like after 1 winter in MA
View attachment 493928
Whatever stainless the K&N inlet pipe is made out of is better quality that this is.
Yea that’s what 409 looks like. I live in CT and winter salt is brutal. 304 doesn’t even really last depending on the quality. I believe the K&N is 304 muffler but the inlet tube is 409 judging by OPs pic as I’m seeing rust on the top half. I also have two 304 mufflers and my cheaper ZZDP is 304 supposedly but is rusting pretty good where my borla looks fine. Same thing with my carven tips… on my 3rd set in 4 years and even these new ones are rusting and I polish them with never full every 3 months or so.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any drone on this muffler?
Its definitely more than stock, but not bad at all. I've ran a mufflex 24 and Solo Mach 40 and both of those had quite a bit more drone than this one. The Solo would give me a headache while towing on the highway.

I haven't towed with it yet, when I do I'll report back how it is.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got a chance to tow last weekend with this muffler. I towed my boat about 110 miles on fairly hilly terrain. The boat/trailer combo weighs about 6500 lbs. It definitely drones more while towing, as expected, but rarely did it fall into that really annoying zone. I noticed it mostly on inclines, but it never bothered me much. I've really become a big fan of this muffler. Just enough sound to know its on there, but none of the annoying issues with some other mufflers.

IMG_3572.jpg

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally got a chance to tow last weekend with this muffler. I towed my boat about 110 miles on fairly hilly terrain. The boat/trailer combo weighs about 6500 lbs. It definitely drones more while towing, as expected, but rarely did it fall into that really annoying zone. I noticed it mostly on inclines, but it never bothered me much. I've really become a big fan of this muffler. Just enough sound to know its on there, but none of the annoying issues with some other mufflers.

View attachment 494124
Awesome, thanks for the towing feedback! I kind of figured it was going to be that way while towing, but it's not headache causing drone?

Yeah so far this muffler us exactly what I've wanted: loud when you want it to be but not obnoxious when you don't.

DOlds

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the ones who have installed this muffler, did you leave the rest of the exhaust stock and just replaced the muffler.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome, thanks for the towing feedback! I kind of figured it was going to be that way while towing, but it's not headache causing drone?

Yeah so far this muffler us exactly what I've wanted: loud when you want it to be but not obnoxious when you don't.
Nope, it never fell into that extreme headache causing drone.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like in cablemans pics that the inlet pipe into the muffler was showing rust starting on the top half (red/brown) unless that is dirt or dust. Someone should confirm if the inlet and outlet pipes are 304 or 409 with a magnet I also wonder if the welds are 304 or 409. Welding 304 would have a higher manufacture cost which is why most use 409.
Im pretty sure i tested them and magnet didnt stick, only thing it stuck to was the hangers. I think i noted that in one of my posts when i just received it b4 install. (Post 5 i did note it and even hangers are not magnetic) only clamps are.
Welds prolly 409. Is there different grades of 304ss?
Just picked up a used 304ss fire pit and same thing you can see light surface rust but magnet doesn't stick. Is it a heat thing?

Last edited:

tzmndvl308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
  • Composed of CNC mandrel-bent tubing / 304 stainless steel
  • Muffler Material 304SS

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
  • Composed of CNC mandrel-bent tubing / 304 stainless steel
  • Muffler Material 304SS
I see you installed the k&n but then a couple posts up you post changed muffler and added j-pipe. Are you using the k&n muffler with a j-pipe?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Im pretty sure i tested them and magnet didnt stick, only thing it stuck to was the hangers. I think i noted that in one of my posts when i just received it b4 install. (Post 5 i did note it and even hangers are not magnetic) only clamps are.
Welds prolly 409. Is there different grades of 304ss?
Just picked up a used 304ss fire pit and same thing you can see light surface rust but magnet doesn't stick. Is it a heat thing?
Yes. 304 and heat = rust… just a lot slower than 409, aluminized and mild steel. Good quality 304 will last a lot longer (borla muffler had no rust but the Chinese 304 SS tubing I used and the ZDDP 304 muffler has a good bit of rust on it. 321SS would be even better.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've done my first tow with this muffler, very little drone and only at around 1600-1800 rpm.

I 100% recommend this muffler if you tow and don't want to hear droning for hours on end.

BrenttheMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Instead of a muffler, I opted for a muffler delete and the only drone I have is at the 1500-1800 rpm range. Would installing a 12-16" resonator get rid of the drone but keep the deep tone?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Instead of a muffler, I opted for a muffler delete and the only drone I have is at the 1500-1800 rpm range. Would installing a 12-16" resonator get rid of the drone but keep the deep tone?
It's possible, a larger one would probably be needed. I know when I had the Solo muffler on my truck the factory resonators didn't do much for the drone. Tuning exhaust sound is a science all in its own so putting the wrong resonator on could potentially quiet the deep tone you're looking to keep....