K&N drop in air filter and my MPG's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turkeybird, I hear ya. Yup, takes about an hour, panels off,panels on, it I wish to get very deep into it on my Super Blackbird. It's similar for any of the full fairing Hondas. For sure the Wing takes that to the next level. I do my own valve clearance checks and adjustments. Adjustments (shim changes to a shim under-bucket engine) require that both camshafts must be removed. It's also a PITA, but I save a pile of coin doing it myself. At the rate I work, extremely slow and methodical routine, it takes all day. I do get some satisfaction from having done it myself I guess. I also "know exactly" what was or was not done or needed. The Bird is a great machine, which rarely needs a shim change anyway,...but I do check the clearance on a semi-routine basis. I've built a bit of a rapport with my local Honda dealer also, so they support my efforts at DIY work and give me a bit of a break on parts costs (which normally covers the taxes). I try and support the local "brick and mortar" outlets in town so that they will be here when I need them.

Speaking of Wings...when the time comes I've been toying with the idea of an F6B for my next touring mount. Not just yet though...the 137h.p. of the Bird is just kick ass in the mountains down south!

T.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Alrighty, so after a week with the filter my overal everage city/hwy gain is only 0.5. The most noticeable gain is with cruise control on the highway. Regardless, the gains aren’t anything to rave about but a gain nonetheless.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After debating all week, I'm putting a K&N drop in in tomorrow (I'm cleaning it right now). I just went and stole it out of my old 2003 4.7L (trying to sell) which just so happens to be the exact same part # as my 2015 Hemi. Like I said above, if that thing still runs 100% fine with 184,000 miles on it, It's not going to hurt the new one.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have run many K&N filters over the years, and never had any issues. When I got my Rebel recently, the dealership has put in a brand new paper filter and I was fine with it. I would have left it in there until it needed to be replaced, BUT, I was at a local Wal-Mart and they had the K&N filters on clearance for $13. Couldn't pass it up. I honestly cannot tell a huge difference in MPG or Throttle, but I only had it for 1 week before I found the deal of a lifetime. 20190315_201029.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alrighty, so after a week with the filter my overal everage city/hwy gain is only 0.5. The most noticeable gain is with cruise control on the highway. Regardless, the gains aren’t anything to rave about but a gain nonetheless.

Will give ya motor a lil more air, and maybe run a lil better. BUT not gonna do chit ref MPG. If U go a full CAI, Cone filter, maybe do a tune/pedal commander, etc etc, U may notice more performance. Not sure on MPG, prob take a lil hit,. BUT that all depends on mods, how well done, tune(s), plugs, air flow, exhaust, Your Right Foot, the list goes on and on.

FWIW, I always tell people, if U want MPG, either go and buy you a RAM ED (and do a GDE tune on it), or get U a Prius and put Ram badging on it, LMAO, my inane sense of humor.

PPL gotta be smart enuf to know "Hemi" does not mean a MPG darling, LMAO.....

HEMI === High End Motion-Lotion Injector, LMAO

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have run many K&N filters over the years, and never had any issues. When I got my Rebel recently, the dealership has put in a brand new paper filter and I was fine with it. I would have left it in there until it needed to be replaced, BUT, I was at a local Wal-Mart and they had the K&N filters on clearance for $13. Couldn't pass it up. I honestly cannot tell a huge difference in MPG or Throttle, but I only had it for 1 week before I found the deal of a lifetime. View attachment 159414

GREAT FIND THERE, Hopefully dry filter, because these thangs got enuf oil in the intake from the "PCV" closed system, hence "Catch Can" thoughts

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GREAT FIND THERE, Hopefully dry filter, because these thangs got enuf oil in the intake from the "PCV" closed system, hence "Catch Can" thoughts

Most of that comes from people that don't know how to oil a K&N properly. Sure, if you gob an entire can of oil on there, it's going to be everywhere. Like I said above, my last Ram had 184,000 miles on it when I sold it, it had ZERO K&N oil residue in the intake tube or on the throttle body. The very same filter that was in my 2003 is now in my 2015. I swapped them when I sold it. LOL. Awesome thing that they decided to stick with the same exact filter size over all those years. :)

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next step for me is to remove the throttle body and clean it good. The previous owner had a veraram intake on the truck, and not sure if the TB was ever cleaned out. I will check it at that time and see if there is any residue. That will also give me a good baseline for when I clean it next year also.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have run many K&N filters over the years, and never had any issues. When I got my Rebel recently, the dealership has put in a brand new paper filter and I was fine with it. I would have left it in there until it needed to be replaced, BUT, I was at a local Wal-Mart and they had the K&N filters on clearance for $13. Couldn't pass it up. I honestly cannot tell a huge difference in MPG or Throttle, but I only had it for 1 week before I found the deal of a lifetime. View attachment 159414

Should have bought the whole lot and Ebay'd those babies for $50 each. I'm going to Wal Mart on Thursday. I'm going to look. If they have them on clearance at mine, I'll fill a cart and put it on my credit card. ;)

Here's a weird one.... one time I warrantied the K&N from my boat (yes, they really do honor the "Million mile guarantee" with no hassles) Anyways, they sent me my new boat filter.... but then they sent a huge box with a whole box of other filters for like Chevy trucks and some other random cars. One was even for a motorcycle. I called them up so that I could send the box back and they were like "Meh..... just throw them out." So to me that meant sell them on Ebay. I made a few hundred of that deal.

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should have bought the whole lot and Ebay'd those babies for $50 each. I'm going to Wal Mart on Thursday. I'm going to look. If they have them on clearance at mine, I'll fill a cart and put it on my credit card. ;)

I was thinking about doing that, but I decided to pay it forward a bit and let others find them at the good price. If I knew someone local with another 5.7RAM, I would have bought the 2nd RAM filter and given it to them though.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of that comes from people that don't know how to oil a K&N properly. Sure, if you gob an entire can of oil on there, it's going to be everywhere. Like I said above, my last Ram had 184,000 miles on it when I sold it, it had ZERO K&N oil residue in the intake tube or on the throttle body. The very same filter that was in my 2003 is now in my 2015. I swapped them when I sold it. LOL. Awesome thing that they decided to stick with the same exact filter size over all those years. :)

Skerry, RAM stayed with same box size, LOL... U would have thought somebody there would have already re-engineered it, LOL

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the box flows enough, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel

Skerry, RAM stayed with same box size, LOL... U would have thought somebody there would have already re-engineered it, LOL

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MK96: U forget, FCA uses square pegs, LMAO