Keep or go 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To me it would all depend on how often you tow (forgive me if it's in your posts somewhere, I didn't read every word of every post). I'm in a similar situation with my 2500 and 5th wheel. I'm at the upper end of the limits of the truck but it gets the job done so I'm fine (although that new 8spd tranny sure looks sweet :))

Anyway, if you're a weekend warrior like most of the rest of us and your truck is safely getting the job done I say stick with it. Watch your tire/axle weight to be sure you're not overloading. That's by far the weak link in the chain. Your engine and drive train are more than capable. They put the 5.7 in the 2500 up until just recently so it's up to the task. The reason to jump to an HD is much more for the suspension, brakes, frame, etc.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it”s a lease...
don’t upgrade **** on the truck unless you plan on Buying it out.
Next time you lease, try a 3/4 ton and see how you like it. Regardless of what anyone says.. and by the amount of likes this post gets will tell you how true it is.
You can not compare “ Factory “ towing between a HD truck “ 2500/3500 and a 1500”. They are not in the same League. You can tow just about anything” then the legalities come into play” and yes you can upgrade things to tow more with a 1/2 ton as previously stated... but truck for truck off the show room floor, it’s not even up for debate. A ginger is a ginger and a blonde is a blonde.

Personally
Up to 6.5k - Half ton
Up to 10k- 3/4ton gas
12k and above - 3/4 ton-1ton diesel.
Now this is just my preference. There are plenty of guy on here towing more with Half tons and 3/4 ton gas trucks. Just slow down, take ur time and enjoy ur lease while you have it.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A 2500 makes sense when towing loads that are beyond the capacity of a 1500 class pickup. But if your truck is rated to tow 8000 lbs then there is no problem unless you screw around with the truck by lifting it or putting on larger diameter tires.

Before investing in a heavy and far less fuel efficient and harsher riding 2500 pickup I would first consider the cost to buy a lighter trailer. There are many options for lighter trailers using better construction methods and aluminum to keep the weight down. The cost is much higher unfortunately for the new trailers thanks to the Trump tariff tax on aluminum from Canada (my US made aluminum boat trailer price went up by 25% after the Trump tariff tax but this may not be reflected in the prices asked for used travel trailers.

I had been towing a 13,000 lb boat and trailer but now that I have sold the boat I will be downsizing from my 2500 diesel pickup to a 1500 gas powered one. At this time the gas engines are much more reliable than the diesel engines overall and require half the cost to maintain and repair.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was in your situation before.

My 1500 crew cab had the 8 speed with 3.92 gears. My camper was 7650 dry and 8400 on the scale loaded. I had issues with sway and even with a good sway bar/setup it was finally resolved by going from 10% to 15% tongue weight. You do the math and your over 1200#s, then add your weight, your wife, and any gear you have in the truck. With 1565# payload to work with I was pushing the limit, and then some.
Adding the cheap red Airlift bags helped, as did some 8 ply Lt tires. I finally moved up to a 2500 and later a 5th wheel.

To get more life out of your existing truck you might do what some of the truckers do when the are in the hills, speed up going down one hill to help you up the next. That may not work so good in the mountains with hair pin turns or going down a 6% + grade...

Another thing is that the motor is spinning some pretty high rpms going up those hills with the cruise control on and I would tap the brake, feather the gas, and let the truck shift down to keep the rpms lower to preserve the motor. Also make sure you are using a good grade synthetic oil to keep it from wearing out prematurely. Lots of good posts on this forum about which to use. It wouldn't hurt to give it some premium, or mid grade gas once in awhile too!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If you get a 6.7 Cummins, the biggest issue you'll have is snapping your neck as you turn around to make sure the trailer is still back there.

Towing with a gas engine is OK, but one you go diesel, you won't go back.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
It wouldn't hurt to give it some premium, or mid grade gas once in awhile too!

Is that like giving your dog a bowl of fresh meat or eggs? Or a kid some candy when he does good?

Putting anything in the tank other than what the manufacturer recommends is a waste of money. Your engine doesn't need a "treat".

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Drive it.
You have the 1500 and camp trailer.
It rate to do it,

You’re on east Coast no big California Nevada hill ( -285 ft to 11000 ft in 19 miles DV Np)

Yes if you did not have the 1500,
a 2500 is a lot nicer ,
If like get 3.92 put in ,
This will help about $ 2800 for 4x4,

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Scotty,

Not to get in a ******* match about gas, but the manual on the 5.7 recommends midgrade, or 89. most places here in the midwest stopped offering that and now have 87 or 91.

I usually used 87 which was okay, but when towing I would either fill it with premium, or mix what I had in the tank with 91. Filling with premium can be expensive here in the midwest anywhere from $.40 to $.80 a gallon.

Now-a-days they have computers in vehicles and they can detune the motor to use lesser grade gasoline to prevent spark knock.

Even with premium listed on the cap, or in the manual, one can usually run 87.
Another thing I would do was to try to fill up at Tier one gas stations to ensure I got good quality gas.

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi Scotty,

Not to get in a ******* match about gas, but the manual on the 5.7 recommends midgrade, or 89. most places here in the midwest stopped offering that and now have 87 or 91.

I usually used 87 which was okay, but when towing I would either fill it with premium, or mix what I had in the tank with 91. Filling with premium can be expensive here in the midwest anywhere from $.40 to $.80 a gallon.

Now-a-days they have computers in vehicles and they can detune the motor to use lesser grade gasoline to prevent spark knock.

Another thing I would do was to try to fill up at Tier one gas stations to ensure I got good quality gas.
Agreed. The pc can adapt and give better performance. For example flex fuel f150s are rated 25hp more on e85 than 87. Not huge but when I had mine you could feel the difference even stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you get a 6.7 Cummins, the biggest issue you'll have is snapping your neck as you turn around to make sure the trailer is still back there.

Or when unladen and if you "goose" the throttle. :)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Scotty,

The Jury is still out.. it’s a ******** lease.

I got a station down the way that sells 110 octane, you can put that in ur Leased truck if you want, maybe even document it so when you return it, the dealer with give you a break on the next truck lololol

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
If you can afford and/or justify the added cost to run a 2500, you'll never regret your choice over the 1/2 truck(ton) when you tow your toys or load some materials in the bed.
A few things you'll do less often are brakes and diff services on a 2500.....I was doing both on a yearly schedule when I had my 1500.
But overall, there is a premium to own a HD over a non HD truck and something that needs to be taken into consideration given your situation.