Keep the Chrome or complete Blackout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whenever someone get a black vehicle or a dark grey, there is a tendency to completely black out the Chrome. I admit that do like that look. It give it a more tough vibe. You even see it in movies.
I did the black out with my previous dark grey truck and the comments were mixed. Now that I have this black one, I'm not sure whether I should do it to this.
Right now, I'm just feeling that the all blacked out look is sort of over done in a way.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-30 at 20.25.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-30 at 20.25.23.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 67

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I say get a black milled wheels, get rid of those headlight covers and keep the chrome. Maybe a black grille with chrome inserts to keep the flow of the chrome bumpers. Chrome bumpers are extremely durable vs painted.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
come up with something other than just blacking out the truck, you hit it right on the head of it being over done nowadays

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had my bumpers and grill painted to match the truck. I prefer it, especially if your truck has that dark of lights already in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 22

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whatever you direction you take don't do it half way. I see so many trucks half blacked out and IMHO it looks half done. A guy at work bought a lifted blue 4th Gen. Chrome badges, black rims, and chrome step bars. It looked like it had an identity crisis. I sold him my old black step bars and the truck looks so much better and he whole heartily agrees. I'm not sure if he's going to debadge it but I think that is the perfect truck to debadge.

IMHO Black out everything or get black rims with a touch of chrome and keep the badges, grill, and bumper.

I love chrome but on the right vehicles in the right amount. Classic cars and hot rods, chrome them out. My '14 had the right amount of chrome but I'm also a fan of painted bumpers on the 4th Gen trucks. My truck now is factory blacked out. I added black lug nut covers and painted the exhaust tips because Ram didn't finish the job. I always thought the blacked out look was OK but since I got my '19 I love it. It works with the granite crystal metallic.

Edit: I just noticed you have black step bars. I didn't see that when I posted my comment before. But for my taste the step bars need to match the rims whichever way you go. Again that's just me.

My '14
20190617_083259_HDR.jpg

My '19
Pic 1.jpg

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I like my mixed bag lol i actually have a color matched grille im gonna try out with my chrome inserts. Prolly get color matched door handles too.
White is totally different though.
Milled wheels alone would set that truck up nice

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_134557356.jpg
    PXL_20211008_134557356.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 33

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My avatar shows exactly how I like a vehicle. It's obvious I like the painted color matched grill and bumpers but I love chrome wheels and emblems. I know I'm the minority but I like being different!

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We've had the chrome vs blacked out debate a few times before on this board and it all comes down to...
Your truck
Your money
Your taste
But I also think it's universally agreed that anything that's plastic chrome with adhesive tape that you buy from PepBoys is to be avoided. And please no stick on fake hood scoops. They don't look cool, they just look fake and everyone knows it.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not a fan of those headlights, but it could just be the picture.
As it sits, I would debadge, go black grill, leave the chrome bumpers, maybe wheels that are mainly black with chrome accents.

I'm a big fan of the chrome bumpers just for their durability. I like the factory wheels too, honestly, not too shiny, not too dull, pretty easy to keep looking nice. I agree that the blacked out look is everywhere but at the same time it does look really good when done well.
You're not alone, it's so hard to find a look that you like, that looks well put together, and yet is a little different!

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driving around today in the truck I could help notice how many black or grey vehicles were out there with de-chromed trim - all blacked out. From Mercedes G wagons, Range Rovers to other SUVs, trucks muscle cars, supercars and even a tiny hatchback... I did see an all blacked out 4th Gen Ram as well.
They look cool and give those vehicles a really mean look. Can't help think that the all black look will certainly give the truck the appearance that will match the truck's angry sound.

However again... it just feels over done. All these blacked out vehicles remind me of my fav shows as a kid - Knight Rider, Airwolf, A-Team..
From modern shows.. they remind me of the SUV from the Agents of Shield.
105shield_001311_c42.jpg
Anyways that gave me an idea. There is one group of vehicles that no one has attempted to replicate - Team Knight Rider.
Granted the show was a horrible with typical 90s over dramatization and less action, but the vehicles looked cool (for Fords)..
mIJNLT025wmKiPQGeaymJATa82.jpg
beast.JPG

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The fact you are asking the question hints at the only answer. I can't even stand Chrome on blue, but really don't prefer it on black, or even trucks in general. I hate the shine of it, I would literally rather have rust. Just an opinion, the other opinion is those are the worst rims ram ever made, I hated mine and waited to burn off oem skin before changing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Whatever you direction you take don't do it half way. I see so many trucks half blacked out and IMHO it looks half done. A guy at work bought a lifted blue 4th Gen. Chrome badges, black rims, and chrome step bars. It looked like it had an identity crisis. I sold him my old black step bars and the truck looks so much better and he whole heartily agrees. I'm not sure if he's going to debadge it but I think that is the perfect truck to debadge.

IMHO Black out everything or get black rims with a touch of chrome and keep the badges, grill, and bumper.

I love chrome but on the right vehicles in the right amount. Classic cars and hot rods, chrome them out. My '14 had the right amount of chrome but I'm also a fan of painted bumpers on the 4th Gen trucks. My truck now is factory blacked out. I added black lug nut covers and painted the exhaust tips because Ram didn't finish the job. I always thought the blacked out look was OK but since I got my '19 I love it. It works with the granite crystal metallic.

Edit: I just noticed you have black step bars. I didn't see that when I posted my comment before. But for my taste the step bars need to match the rims whichever way you go. Again that's just me.

My '14
View attachment 475853

My '19
View attachment 475854
Perfect example of why murdered looks so much better imo, and if you want to break it up how cool is that of color mopar decal. The problem is with black when you go to painting bumper the body color, you end up with cold blooded murder, as in all black, but like the example above being murdered out just isnt that large of an commitment to a "look". So the other question is being murdered out on an off color or black, because I'll give you this, with a black truck it is way different then with other colors.

The other option is instead of murdering it out, go with a color other then black but imo that is hard to pull off. Occasionally you will see a lifted 4x4 that rocks that look properly, but with a factory or leveled height it is just hard to pull off. Never mind me brother, I just don't prefer Chrome on trucks.

Olsawblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I agree with the comments that a vehicle's look must appeal to the owner. To each his/her own.
But I gotta admit, when I saw my 2020 1500 Night Edition on the dealer's lot, I had to have it (it also had the option mix I wanted). RAM made the decision easy for me. Except for the tail pipes, all chrome was banished. The look was clean, consistent, and refined. Even the headlight bezels are blacked out. When I purchased some all-terrain winter tires, I had them mounted on totally black Fuel rims.

1635782860868.png

I liked the look so much, 6 months later I purchased a 2021 AWD Challenger with an option called "Blacktop" which stripped out all chrome ... except for the tail pipes. Even the headlight and dash gauge bezels are blacked out.

1635783855377.png

I love the clean look of both vehicles, and am hesitant to do any exterior aftermarket embellishments to either of them ... except for the tail pipes.