Key Fob Button Protector/Cover??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlilnc14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4l
lots of fob cases on ebay and amazon. I brought mine off amazon.

aux576

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stay away from those silicone rubber covers, I see them come through my locksmith shop all the time and what I've noticed is the oil from your skin will soak through the cover and makes the remote greasy, this problem is more prevalent with woman's remotes as they tend to use hand moisturizer and sanitizer, that nasty stuff will eventually seep into the remote and really gum things up.
'Im thinking of getting with a shoe repair guy I know and maybe we can come up with some sort of pouch that's not too bulky and has provisions to be attached to your belt.
BTW some of us are greasier than others so lay off the pizza and sausage sandwiches for lunch.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a phone case from one of my old flip phone that should be just the right size maybe, Will have to check that. BTW I still use a phone like that.
When I travel, I have a real good belt clip I have had for years, But just around town I keep it in jacket pocket, I have set the alarm off couple times when Wife is sleeping, That does not go over good

rpowell911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well thank God I'm not alone here haha

I need to look and see if I can disable it in AlfaOBD. Also might be another good reason to start dabbling with a 3D printer. I'm always looking for justification!

I used to set mine off about twice a week, if I was careful.
I got ALFAOBD, and after looking through most of the options, and changing some other stuff, I found the setting to disable the panic button.

Eureka! No more waking the wife or the neighbors.

Fantastic program.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stay away from those silicone rubber covers, I see them come through my locksmith shop all the time and what I've noticed is the oil from your skin will soak through the cover and makes the remote greasy, this problem is more prevalent with woman's remotes as they tend to use hand moisturizer and sanitizer, that nasty stuff will eventually seep into the remote and really gum things up.
'Im thinking of getting with a shoe repair guy I know and maybe we can come up with some sort of pouch that's not too bulky and has provisions to be attached to your belt.
BTW some of us are greasier than others so lay off the pizza and sausage sandwiches for lunch.

Interesting. I’ve had mine on the fob for almost 15 months without issue.

OP
OP
Dantra

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up buying one of the silicone ones.. so far so good. But if the panic goes off one more time, I'll disable it completely with Alfaobd

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I didn't used to carry my key in my pocket but since getting this Ram with the Prox key, I have started to do so. I think I'm just more protective of this key and it's a tad bit bigger so I carry it in my pocket rather than on a clasp that's clipped onto a belt loop.. or just leave in the cup holder haha. I do alot fabrication/welding and fear damaging it and if I leave it on my desk, I walk all the way out and realize that I forgot it..

Anyway, I've set the panic alarm off several times at the house with it in my pocket. Sometimes just while crouching down to untie my boots or feeling for a pocket knife in my pocket. Was wondering if anyone has came across a slim case that maybe recesses the buttons more or something?? At first I thought a case that covers all buttons would be fine since it's a prox key but I do like being able to hit that remote start in the morning when I'm all sleepy eyed.

Anybody else?

No biggie dude. We've all done it. I've been sitting inside my place, go to move the keys off the coffee table, and set off the panic button inadvertedly, and wonder WTF?? Then realize it's me, and my truck.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be careful of leaving fob in cup holders / car. Guy I work with his wife had a white SUV (jeep I think) and one day she's at work and gets a call from local PD about her car. She works in a bar and one of the patrons had just purchased a new white SUV. When he left he thought he got in his car. But being she left her key fob in the car hers started right up for him and he went on his merry way. I'm not sure how PD got involved, minor fender bender or a checkpoint again not sure.... But like you were told as teens "KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS" and I'm talking about the key fob.......

Burnstork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I didn't used to carry my key in my pocket but since getting this Ram with the Prox key, I have started to do so. I think I'm just more protective of this key and it's a tad bit bigger so I carry it in my pocket rather than on a clasp that's clipped onto a belt loop.. or just leave in the cup holder haha. I do alot fabrication/welding and fear damaging it and if I leave it on my desk, I walk all the way out and realize that I forgot it..

Anyway, I've set the panic alarm off several times at the house with it in my pocket. Sometimes just while crouching down to untie my boots or feeling for a pocket knife in my pocket. Was wondering if anyone has came across a slim case that maybe recesses the buttons more or something?? At first I thought a case that covers all buttons would be fine since it's a prox key but I do like being able to hit that remote start in the morning when I'm all sleepy eyed.

Anybody else?

Burnstork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that's been driven crazy over this! Besides setting off the panic alarm I have heard my truck running in the garage because squatting or bending over pushed the remote start button. Solution: I took the FOB apart (as you would to change the battery) and put small pieces of electrical tape on the contacts for the panic alarm & the remote start. Problem solved.