"Key fob has left the vehicle" (???????) Truck wont run!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 Ram1500 QC 4x4 Hemi Sport: (only 5,000 miles on the truck)
As the title says, getting this key fob issue almost every time i get in to drive my truck now. Dosen`t seem to recognize either key fob. Truck wont run every time this happens. Several times, the alarm (horn starts blowing) going off, the dash lights are flashing, can`t shut the alarm off sometimes. I`m not up to speed on chryslers alarm/key fob issues. Anyone else seen or heard of this happening with 2018 RAM trucks or dodge...? I do have the square/rectangular (not the tear drop one) remote start key fob if that sheds any light on this subject. Its annoying to go to the dealer in fear of constant problems with them if its something like a simple battery disconnect i can do at home. Thanks guys

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
May want to take it to the dealer anyway... those fobs are pricey enough that fixing it on your own ain't cheap.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you have the fob you have to insert and turn? As I do. Not sure, but sounds like a software issue.

This happened on my Viper, which has the tombstone shaped fob and a push button start. I uses the trick of actually pushing the start button with the fob, which will allow it start and run. Turned out batter was bad in the fob.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like you have the push button start. Even if the battery is dead in the fob, you use the fob to push the button to start the truck.
If that doesn't work there is probably an issue with the RF hub, something you'll have to go to the dealer for. You can try disconnecting the battery, but the problem may come back.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say the batteries might be getting low in your fob, but that shouldn't be the case on a 2018. Take it to the dealer.

OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes (tombstone remote - Mercedes style remote) its push button start. My fob is not used to start the truck, only for remote start is when the fob used.
Batteries in the remote dont have anything to do with the fob and (WIN?) module communicating, ONLY FOR, unlocking/locking doors, and remote starting the truck.
The remotes have a RF chipset to communicate with the ignition and security system, IF my memory serves me right. If anyone knows different, chime in please.

Just for ***** an giggles today (because chrysler is famous for this), i checked the fuses under the hood... holy ****, are you kidding me...??? Almost every one of them were loose, and 4 of them almost fell over when i went to push them back in. I dont know if this contributed to my problem or not, because i`ve seen this (fob not in vehicle issue) happen many times to others on many other type chrysler/dodge/jeep/ram forums.

Going to the dealer will be the very last resort if it acts up again... i`ve never had good luck with them fixing things or doing any requested service work properly.
At this time, i can not replicate the issue... but by finding loose fuse`s, i doubt that was the actual problem... but hey, if that fixes it, GREAT, i can avoid the miserable monkeys.

Lots of smart people in here, (way smarter than the dealer monkeys) so i thought i`d try asking here first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have the push button start. Even if the battery is dead in the fob, you use the fob to push the button to start the truck.
If that doesn't work there is probably an issue with the RF hub, something you'll have to go to the dealer for. You can try disconnecting the battery, but the problem may come back.
Yes, push button start. I`ll bet money that your right! Didnt they use to call it the WIN module instead of "RF Hub"...???

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
That is a fair and good point. ^^^ Loose fuses and bad/loose grounds. All 6 of my Doge/Ram trucks had this to some degree. These types of issues, I hope get addressed when all of our trucks are assembled at Warren plant. But a focus on quality, assembly and vendor parts quality is at the moment a hopeful expectation. This company has got to sort itself out and settle down. Stick to a 5 year business plan that says we are going to get good at????. And we want to be known as the truck company that???? Just a POV.

OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a fair and good point. ^^^ Loose fuses and bad/loose grounds. All 6 of my Doge/Ram trucks had this to some degree. These types of issues, I hope get addressed when all of our trucks are assembled at Warren plant. But a focus on quality, assembly and vendor parts quality is at the moment a hopeful expectation. This company has got to sort itself out and settle down. Stick to a 5 year business plan that says we are going to get good at????. And we want to be known as the truck company that???? Just a POV.
Its the fast pace to get new products out to market, and still over pay the fat CEO`s and share holders. With that said, quality goes in the dumpster.
So far so good, truck hasn`t acted up yet. But i remain wary of it because the brand is known for far to many electrical glitch's & problems.
I was hoping they would of had this all sorted out by the time i had bought this 2018 truck. I guess i was wrong, again...lol.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far no electrical or software issues on my 2016. Knock wood. Truck has been sound, except for this damn oil leak returning (see my other thread.) It's my 4th Ram in the last 20 years, and has been the best yet.

OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far no electrical or software issues on my 2016. Knock wood. Truck has been sound, except for this damn oil leak returning (see my other thread.) It's my 4th Ram in the last 20 years, and has been the best yet.

I`m on my 5th Hemi truck, every one of them have had some sort of electrical demons.
According to the hemi truck stats that i`ve seen, 13 14 15 were the worst for electrical bugs.
Luckily, this is my last chrysler product, i`m retiring soon, i wont need a truck anymore. Wife & i will be down sizing to just one vehicle.
Every one of my wifes chrysler/dodge products have been hell... always back to the dealer for problems after problems. She`s done with chrysler/dodge.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
On Balance, GM and Ford are not shinning stars when it comes to quality. The GMC 2500 running "vibration" is their "WTF" challenge. Ford is getting better but electrical component and modules changes seem to continue to challenge dealers. Just think Ram has a easier quicker path to quality improvement. Maybe.

OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On Balance, GM and Ford are not shinning stars when it comes to quality. The GMC 2500 running "vibration" is their "WTF" challenge. Ford is getting better but electrical component and modules changes seem to continue to challenge dealers. Just think Ram has a easier quicker path to quality improvement. Maybe.
Fitzy, i so totally believe that...!!! Thats whats kept me going back for another RAM every time i bought a new truck. RAM`s have their own issues, but ford & chevy are in worse shape in my own opinion. I`ve got some chevy & ford buddies, they are just a ******* up a storm with all the problems they`re having. My biggest pet peave is the quality of these dealerships... most suck...PERIOD. They dont care if they fix right or not. Just a paycheck to them, and no pride in their own work. If FCA would step up the quality, BEFORE these trucks come to the market, maybe the so-called tech`s would care more about the brands they work on. Is all the technology worth it today... maybe, maybe not. Brands suffer because people hold onto their vehicles alot longer these days... they cost way to much money! So the brands try to put out the most glittering glowing HI-TECH vehicles that they can, in hopes just to get the next shiny paint in your driveway. As soon as i retire (counting the days) i wont need a new vehicle anymore. I bought new for dependability, but i seem to have to run to the dealer alot more often than i should be. Anyway, thats my rant... i`m just praying that this truck dosent end up like the last 4 i bought. I`ve got high hopes, but very low expectations.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Yep^^^ Long time brand loyal customers like you and I may not be the focus of the company. It just seems to me, that all 3 company's suffer from to much brand distraction. Quality control department is now risk mitigation department. The "what's next" focus and mentality leaves no time for, why are we having exhaust issue, valve train issues. In a perfect world, would like to see FCA say, enough distraction and reputation risk. Sell off Fiat brand, return on capital is not good. Determine if the Alpha Romero juice is worth the squeeze. Make a commitment to Ram and Jeep based on their better financial return on investment. If Dodge division makes money, determine what the demand for that segment of the market realy is. All in or out. Same for Chrysler. Trying to be all things to all people has never worked in any business I know of. I do not think customers expect Rolls Royce quality components or assembly. But, the new unspoken internal acceptance is,,when the vehicle gets to the end of the assembly line, if it starts, turns and stops,,,it goes on the train. Think about human behavior on the line. The assembly techs up stream see that,,they shake their head. How does that encourage or empower them to own quality in their assembly function. Now that vehicle hits the dealership. The dealer is trying to get the vehicle ready for delivery. They see or find the assembly defect. Their product attituide hits 0. They are expected to correct/fix some else defect. To often the attitude is, let it go maybe the customer won't notice or we will deal with it if they bring it back. Sorry for Sunday morning rant.

OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Latest Update:
Left work last night, no issue starting my truck and leaving the parking lot. Stepped on the brake pedal, tap start button on the dash, truck starts ok, no dash warning message.

I stop at the local gas station about 2 miles from work, i shut the truck off, opened the door while staying in the truck, shut the door, hit the start button, truck wont start, warning message in dash says "no key fob detected" says to use key fob to start the truck. I hit the remote start button, truck does nothing. Opened the door again, shut the door, says to use remote start to start the truck. After several attempts, i finally get the remote start feature to start the truck. I think the start button/module is faulty. (i believe they use to call this unit in the dash, the WIN module...?) I noticed every time this happens, (key fob not detected/key fob has left the vehicle) the ignition button will not do anything, i have to use the remote start on the key fob to eventually get the truck to start.

I know it has been said, that you have to use the key fob and push it into the ignition, but i dont understand how you do that with the rectangular key fob that i have.

Anyway, looking like i`m going to have to go to the stealership... oh gawd, hear we go, lame dealership woes.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i was told by the dealer in case of the fob not working properly (dead battery or whatever) place the keyfob against the dash, right next to the start button and then try to start the vehicle, they said with the fob that close that it can read the RF signal from the fob even if the battery is dead

OP
OP
R

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was told by the dealer in case of the fob not working properly (dead battery or whatever) place the keyfob against the dash, right next to the start button and then try to start the vehicle, they said with the fob that close that it can read the RF signal from the fob even if the battery is dead
Yep, i tried that, made no difference. Thats what makes me think that the start button module behind the dash is faulty. Dosent seem to communicate the RF signal.