Key fob only works while I'm away from my home property unless I'm one foot from the vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwaman7561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2022 Ram truck a couple of months ago my key fob quit working while I'm anywhere on my property and I have 4 acres. It will work anywhere else and remote start from 100 yards away. I've changed the batteries I don't have any new radio frequency equipment unless my neighbors do. Any help?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Turn off the all electricity at home and see if the problem clears. If so, then you can start checking circuit by circuit to find the RFI source. Don’t forget to shut off any battery powered tech.

How close are the neighbors?

If it’s not your equipment causing the problem and you want to go hunting for it a tool like this will get you going.

https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog...onics&sprefix=Sdr,electronics,168&sr=1-4&th=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mwaman7561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke with neighbor, when he gets back in town he's going to cut off a wireless dog shock collar system and I think that's causing it. Hopefully that will work.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Have you recently changed any house light bulbs over to LED ??

added a electronic bird bath, maybe a gate that is controlled electronically ??

Does your FOB work when you pull up to the front door of a 7/11 store

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
not unless the invisible fence operates on 315 MHz frequency

"Everything causes [radio frequency] interference, believe it or not. Everything."

Consider the so-called internet of things: Wi-Fi-enabled refrigerators, slow cookers, coffee makers, fitness trackers, pet fitness trackers, sex toys, and — for some reason — flip flops.
BUT they don't operate at 315 MHz

One other thing that should be checked, is the vehicles battery, if it is as low as 11 volts, it could cause the FOB to malfunction.
Again, this does not seem to be your issue, if it only happens on your property.

Has your Power Company installed a new Power Meter ?
some of them have a transmitter built in, so no one has to go to your property to read your meter

OP
OP
M

mwaman7561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Works fine away from my property. Something is blocking it here. Thanks for all the feed back.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Cheap electronic devices (pretty much everything from chyna) often transmit harmonics or unintended RF on frequencies other than than the one they nominally operate on. If the offender is identified an RF choke of the appropriate frequency (fob channel) applied to that source will likely cure your problem.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Works fine away from my property. Something is blocking it here. Thanks for all the feed back.

Have you found a solution yet?

or

My first thought was, do you keep a spare FOB at home?

Try starting with the spare FOB and then pulling the battery out of the spare to see if that was the source of interference. :cool:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No , just started about a month ago, about the time of the install of the wireless dog collar fence.
That's probably it, can cause RFI issues and time frame matches for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio