Key Fob Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russell Arrigoni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently bought a 2006 Ram 2500 and it only had one key and the ring to hang additional keys was broken. Not a big deal but an inconvenience because I can't attach my house key or other keys. Called the dealer and they wanted $165.00 and an additional $65 to program it. Way too much $ in my opinion. Are there actually alternatives that work? Been reading online about Dorman and mixed results.
Any ideas?
Would really appreciate a less expensive alternative.
Thanks,
Russ

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Russ, First WELCOME to the group ! Second yea the dealers really stick it to you :O You can call a Local Locksmith as some will have the FOB and program them for a lot less ! Alos I think you can get a New FOB on E Bay and have the dealer program it or the locksmith ! Also you have a 06 so there may be a way to do it yourself, Hopefully the gear heads will chime in ! I see you in Middletown. One of my son's lives there...

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When I first got my 06 it only came with one key. I bought another one from these guys and had it programmed at a local dealer. So long ago I don't remember what either one charged, but I remember the dealer price I thought at the time was very reasonable and the key from the Keys for less guys was also very reasonable. They asK for you vehicle info and then present options.

Link: https://carkeysexpress.com/store

Good luck

Mike

OP
OP
R

Russell Arrigoni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Russ, First WELCOME to the group ! Second yea the dealers really stick it to you :O You can call a Local Locksmith as some will have the FOB and program them for a lot less ! Alos I think you can get a New FOB on E Bay and have the dealer program it or the locksmith ! Also you have a 06 so there may be a way to do it yourself, Hopefully the gear heads will chime in ! I see you in Middletown. One of my son's lives there...

OP
OP
R

Russell Arrigoni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Rado,
Thanks for the info and welcome. Cool that your son lives in Middletown. My wife is from Maine (Machias) and her parents now live in Brunswick. Hope to see you around!
Russ

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey Rado,
Thanks for the info and welcome. Cool that your son lives in Middletown. My wife is from Maine (Machias) and her parents now live in Brunswick. Hope to see you around!
Russ
Russ, I am in Dedham Maine near Bangor ! If you see a Silver RAM from MAINE with a Back Rack in the Higby Rd. area in a couple weeks that might be me lol Machias is about 1 1/2 hrs from me Brunswick about 1 1/2 hrs

Rich

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Russell Arrigoni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I first got my 06 it only came with one key. I bought another one from these guys and had it programmed at a local dealer. So long ago I don't remember what either one charged, but I remember the dealer price I thought at the time was very reasonable and the key from the Keys for less guys was also very reasonable. They asK for you vehicle info and then present options.

Link: https://carkeysexpress.com/store

Good luck

Mike

Hey Mike,
Thanks a lot for the info. Was unsure as to ask them to program the keys or just do it myself. $49 to go to a technician...not sure how far I'd have to travel though.
Thanks again,
Russ

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey Mike,
Thanks a lot for the info. Was unsure as to ask them to program the keys or just do it myself. $49 to go to a technician...not sure how far I'd have to travel though.
Thanks again,
Russ
Russ have you tried this Dealer ?? I was told either on here or the other forum that they are pretty fair !
I was told maybe 20/30 minutes from Middletown ! I may be wrong as I am a old fart lol

Boise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had this same experience.
Local locksmith cut and programmed a key for $130.00. Took about 15 minutes.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently bought a 2006 Ram 2500 and it only had one key and the ring to hang additional keys was broken. Not a big deal but an inconvenience because I can't attach my house key or other keys. Called the dealer and they wanted $165.00 and an additional $65 to program it. Way too much $ in my opinion. Are there actually alternatives that work? Been reading online about Dorman and mixed results.
Any ideas?
Would really appreciate a less expensive alternative.
Thanks,
Russ

Used to live there when I was stationed in New Haven back in 06-08
2006 you should have this key, correct?
2500-silicone-rubber-remote-key-cover-2006-2008-39.jpg

If so, all you need is a new casing and get the key cut, then transfer the guts (this has your RKE and the chip for SKIM inside). Got mine off ebay, took it to walmart to get cut. Bonus: walmart can't charge you to cut a key if you bring your own blank in; they have no barcode to scan.
Several options available, like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...366539&hash=item44378b81bc:g:-RYAAOxyHslQ8zMc
Do a little searching, find the best value, get it cut and transfer the guts yourself and done.

OhioGuy36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got 2 for 10$ on ebay and programmed myself. If you have 1 working fob- its easy and takes 30 secs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk