Key in Accessory position Chimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Any idea why my '04 has an annoying chiming noise when I put the key in the accessory position? Annoying as hell when I want to listen to the radio with the engine off.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any idea why my '04 has an annoying chiming noise when I put the key in the accessory position? Annoying as hell when I want to listen to the radio with the engine off.
Thanks

One suggestion would be to remove the driver door panel and cut the wire for the door chime. If you look at the connector for the door lock actuator you will see a black wire with a purple tracer. Snip. Done. No more door ajar chime.

Another thing you could try would be to file or grind down the tip of your Ignition key so it cannot press against the stop in the key cylinder to activate the chime. You only need to remove about 1mm from the tip of the key.

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Not sure if snipping the wire would do it as it does it with the door closed. I will try taking the tip off a spare key and see if that works.

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Another thing you could try would be to file or grind down the tip of your Ignition key so it cannot press against the stop in the key cylinder to activate the chime. You only need to remove about 1mm from the tip of the key.

I tried this and and happy to say it worked. I tried it on a duplicate key I had made. When it worked, I did it to my original one also. Only took a few swipes on a file for the old key, quite a bit more on the new not worn down key.
Thanks for the tip(or lack of it now)!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I tried this and and happy to say it worked. I tried it on a duplicate key I had made. When it worked, I did it to my original one also. Only took a few swipes on a file for the old key, quite a bit more on the new not worn down key.
Thanks for the tip(or lack of it now)!

Haha good job man. I have been doing this for years and it has worked every time.

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I don't remember my '03 having this "issue"
Is it normal form them to chime with key in accessory position?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45