Keyless entry install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Laramie SLT 4x4 Club Cab
Engine
Got a Bulldog Secuirty 1702 keyless entry system to install this weekend. Any pointers? Looks fairly straight forward. Two wires to 12v hot always, ground, and wire to the lock wire and wire to the unlock wire. Will I be able to access all the wires I need in the panel to the left of the brake pedal?

mongo800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 Valve Cummins Turbo Diesel
Bump. I was thinkin about keyless entry too

Mongo

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Laramie SLT 4x4 Club Cab
Engine
Well, I may give up on it. I installed per the diagram and it doesn't work. Called the help line and the tech said it would have to be installed closer to the door and said it's a real pain on a Dodge truck. What? Why should it matter where in the wire it is installed?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I may give up on it. I installed per the diagram and it doesn't work. Called the help line and the tech said it would have to be installed closer to the door and said it's a real pain on a Dodge truck. What? Why should it matter where in the wire it is installed?

I haven't a clue why you'd have issues on 'placement' unless it's just not getting signal from the transmitter...

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Dodge uses a 5-wire reversing polarity setup. Having said that, let me look at the wiring diagram for that unit... I'll post back in a minute..

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Ok, here we go... The Bulldog manual states 96-2000 Dodge is Type "A" (positive pulse.) It isn't; it's Type "C" (reversing polarity.)

1995-97 Dodge Ram Pickup Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information

Constant 12V+ Pink/Black or Red Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Dark Blue/Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Dark Blue Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 Black/White Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 3 DIESEL- see notes
Accessory Black/Orange Ignition Switch Harness (Heat/AC)
Tach Gray/Black Coil
Neutral Safety Black/White (-) Ignition Switch Harness
Brake Switch White/Tan Brake Switch or Ignition Switch Harness
Trunk Pin n/a
Parking Lights Black/Yellow (+) Driver's Kick Panel Yellow Connector or next to Column
Head Lamp Light Green Steering Column
Factory Disarm Light Green/Orange (-) 24 Pin Connector behind Driver's Dash
Door Trigger Yellow (-) Driver's Kick Panel Yellow Connector or Light Switch
Door Lock Orange/Purple 10 Pin Connector Driver's Kick or behind Glove Compartment
Door Unlock Pink/Purple Reverse Polarity
Horn Wire Black/Red (-) 74 Pin Connector behind Driver's Dash
Windows Up LF=Light Blue, RF=Brown/White
Windows Down LF=White, RF=Purple/White

Attach one end of your test light to ground probing both wires one at a time while locking and unlocking the doors with the driver’s side switch (usually the master switch). The test light should illuminate in both switch positions. Now attach one end of your test light to +12V constant, probe both wires one at a time again. The light should then illuminate again only in reverse order. This tells you that you have a “Type C” reversing polarity system.

So, in the driver's kick panel, find the harness coming from the driver's door. in there, locate the Orange/Purple (LOCK) and Pink/Purple (UNLOCK) wires.

Or/P (Door side, connect to Bulldog's WHT/BLK) Body side, Bulldog's GN/BLK
Pnk/P (Door side, connect Bulldog's BRN/BLK) Body side, Bulldog's BLU/BLK

NOTE: Connect the Bulldog's PURPLE/PURPLE-n-BLACK wire from the fuse to +12V constant power.

Last edited: